PSVR2 + Bass Shakers = new level of immersion.

• Thread starter Pr197uk
  • 77 comments
this is the back of my subroofer, where do i connect the black/red open end?

because the bottom section for the open end is all specific to each speaker
  • rear left
  • rear right
  • front left
  • front right
-center

there isn't one that labels "subroofer". am i missing something?

if anyone else can provide advice that be awesome :bowdown::bowdown:

View attachment 1260692
If this picture shows the back of your subwoofer then your subwoofer is actually the system's wiring management unit that also happens to house the subwoofer speaker. The top panel section contains the various input options; the bottom section contains the outputs to all the other speakers that are not the subwoofer. There is no output that you can tap for the subwoofer signal as the subwoofer speaker is inside the box. I guess you could try connecting the amp to the output for the centre speaker but be aware that the amp has its own sound card so it will be expecting a low-gain, unamplified signal, whereas this box will be outputting a high-gain, amplified signal. So on second thoughts, no, do not try and tap anything on this subwoofer/management unit else you might end up blowing your amp!

I have now completed my 'isolated transducers haptic feedback' project and as promised, I have documented everything I have done in case it helps anyone else. It's rather a long article so I have published it by way of a blog page on my business website. It contains plenty of photos, prices and links to the products used.

https://sinclairdesign.com/blog/sim-racing-haptic-feedback

Many thanks to those on this forum who helped me to get my thoughts straight and steer me in the right direction with regards to coming up with the best final solution 👍

this is the back of my subroofer, where do i connect the black/red open end?

because the bottom section for the open end is all specific to each speaker
  • rear left
  • rear right
  • front left
  • front right
-center

there isn't one that labels "subroofer". am i missing something?

if anyone else can provide advice that be awesome :bowdown::bowdown:

View attachment 1260692
I unscrewed that panel and tapped directly to the sub woofer wires.

I have now completed my 'isolated transducers haptic feedback' project and as promised, I have documented everything I have done in case it helps anyone else. It's rather a long article so I have published it by way of a blog page on my business website. It contains plenty of photos, prices and links to the products used.

https://sinclairdesign.com/blog/sim-racing-haptic-feedback

Many thanks to those on this forum who helped me to get my thoughts straight and steer me in the right direction with regards to coming up with the best final solution 👍

Where does this end connect to? I know the top black / red goes to tranducers and middle black to to power

Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 2.15.26 PM.png

Hey guys. Thanks for all the info so far, all really useful and definitely set me off down this route.

One question I have, if I have a 7.1 external soundcard on the pc running Simhub, does the Simhub software let you effectively say
"send 1 channel to the bass kicker" and then send 5 others to Front, Centre and Surrounds ?

I'd like to still have proper 5 channel surround as well as the bass kicker.

Apologies if that's a dumb question!

Grateful for the advice.

if I have a 7.1 external soundcard on the pc running Simhub, does the Simhub software let you effectively say
"send 1 channel to the bass kicker" and then send 5 others to Front, Centre and Surrounds ?

Download the Simhub and have a look around the sound output configuration, it allows you to customize pretty much everything.

Hey guys. Thanks for all the info so far, all really useful and definitely set me off down this route.

One question I have, if I have a 7.1 external soundcard on the pc running Simhub, does the Simhub software let you effectively say

Apologies if that's a dumb question!

Grateful for the advice.
SimHub takes multiple channels of telemetry data from GT7 (or other titles) and allows you to enable, disable and/or modify each input channel such that it then outputs low frequency sound waves of a frequency that you can select/modify for each output channel enabled. You can then map/route each selected/modified data channel (right down to the granular level of right/left and front/back where appropriate) to whichever speaker/transducer that you have fitted and equipped with a pre-amp.

Note that SimHub is designed to drive transducers, not normal speakers, so whilst you can drive normal speakers, they probably won’t do the job as expected due to the output frequencies not being within the frequency response range of your normal speaker.

So, for example, if you have one butt-kicker connected to SimHub via a pre-amp, you can select to have just the engine vibrations feeding that butt-kicker, or you can combine every single element of race data from every single telemetry source feeding that butt-kicker or transducer (the butt-kicker is simply a transducer). Obviously, if you do the later, you’re not going to feel much in your seat beyond a ghastly mess of noise, and that is the challenge that everyone has in setting up an effective haptics system.

So, moving on to your scenario, if you have a butt-kicker/transducer (or two, or three) connected to SimHub via pre-amps, and then you make sure that SimHub is able to extract the telemetry data from GT7, you can then select and enhance whichever data channels you wish to feel through your butt-kicker(s)/transducer(s) e.g. you might want to feel engine vibration and road rumble. Just be aware that as soon as you start feeding too much data to a single transducer, you will end up with a mess of vibrations that will overload your senses.

If you also have a surround sound system connected up and ready to roll, then connect the PS5’s normal sound output to that surround sound system in the normal way, completely separate to what you are doing in SimHub with the telemetry data and your butt-kicker(s)/transducer(s). This is where you are getting confused, I think …SimHub handles sound that you wish to convert to haptic feedback, whereas you can still listen to GT7’s normal sound output in the normal way, through headphones or a surround-sound system.

Does that help …have I managed to explain things in a way that you can understand? I get that it's a complicated subject, so I’m not trying to belittle you in any way. It’s also a fact that I might have misunderstood something, so if anything I’ve written above is in any way incorrect, anyone should feel free to correct me. That is, after all, what forums exist for: to establish a forum of collective wisdom.

Thanks mate - yup all makes sense. The bit I didnt understand until I read your reply and started doing it is that Simhub isn't handling the sound - it's handling telemetry only.
I envisaged the pc handling the sound AND the bass shaker signals - that was my mistake. I was hoping to buy just 1 6 channel amp and send each of the 5 sound signals AND the bass shaker signal to it.

So now I changed that plan and picked up a cheap 5.1 amp which is handling the sound, and the pc handling the bass shaker (1 initially but already got 2 more on the way - certainly didnt expect to be doing that)

Thanks again for making it clear.

Cheers gentlemen!

I am currently rebuilding my sim rig and planning to integrate sim hub running on a dedicated mini pc. I am now facing the question of how many shakers I should use and at which positions on the rig. I previously ran two shakers mounted to the left & right side of my rig playing back a filtered audio signal. Less than ideal, but it worked reasonably well. In my rebuilt however, I'd like to now go down the sim hub route.

Roy, I really like what you did and I am planning to go with your way. I just wonded whether you, or anyone with experience, meanwhile have learned more and would today recommend to do anything differently.

Roy, I really like what you did and I am planning to go with your way. I just wonded whether you, or anyone with experience, meanwhile have learned more and would today recommend to do anything differently.
I've been running my rig ever since, and exactly as I first built it. Apart from the fact that the PC laptop needs regular restarts and OS updates (usual Windoze crap), I'm very happy with everything just as it is. No neighbours or other household occupants have ever said they can hear the rig in use, and the sense of immersion is staggeringly good, especially in VR and with the hugging-harness that I have also detailed in a blog on my website. In short: no, I would not change anything with the benefit of hindsight 👍

Then I will rebuild my rig by your advice. Thank you!
Plenty of people have said they intend to follow what I did, but nobody has yet come back and said if they actually did. I'd hate for you to spend time on something that you later regret. All I can say is that I've explained my logic and I like the results. If you do the same and you like it, great; but if you don't like it, the BIG thing about my suggested mechanism is that it is all very adjustable through the use of various washer types and bolt tightnesses ...so you can tweak it until you do like it.

Plenty of people have said they intend to follow what I did, but nobody has yet come back and said if they actually did. I'd hate for you to spend time on something that you later regret. All I can say is that I've explained my logic and I like the results. If you do the same and you like it, great; but if you don't like it, the BIG thing about my suggested mechanism is that it is all very adjustable through the use of various washer types and bolt tightnesses ...so you can tweak it until you do like it.
No worries, what you worked out makes total sense to me. I've made a number of experiments on my rig in my time, and based on that, mechanical decoupling of the seat and pedals from their respective base while fixed-mounting shakers to them is the way to go also in my opinion. Getting a fixed rig to vibrate, as a whole or in part, is just draining a whole lot of motion energy for no reason.
Additionally, I made the experience that while some effects (such as 6 DOF full motion rig) are very impressive, they are unobtainable within reason and also have their own drawbacks. Instead, a balanced combination of many smaller factors such as a proper FF wheel, good pedals with a custom selection of springs and a load cell for the brake, a racing seat with harnesses, VR and your shaker setup, can add up to a scaring amount of realism. Scary in a good way, that is.

And I do have two shakers, a stereo amplifier, an external sound card, a passively cooled low-power Windows pc and four point racing harness for/in my rig as we speak, so this just needs some elbow grease for a rebuild/reconfiguration.

Last edited:
No worries, what you worked out makes total sense to me. ... And I do have two shakers, a stereo amplifier, an external sound card, a passively cooled low-power Windows pc and four point racing harness for/in my rig as we speak, so this just needs some elbow grease for a rebuild/reconfiguration.
I think we're on the same page here 👍

With regards to the harness, this works extremely well > https://sinclairdesign.com/blog/sim-racing-flexible-harness-for-vr

EDIT: after some re-reading I think i will go for OP setup of 2 bst-1 front and back. Have seen some solutions to attach the back shaker to the Trophy.

Last edited:
Back