Public vs. Private Leagues

• Thread starter Davewolf
  • 3 comments
United States
United States
Long time reader, first time poster. Researching to see about getting into this thing.

1) What is everyone's take on staying in the publicy scheduled leagues within Iracing that have the constant racing every hour, etc. compared to the private leagues that may only race once a week? Is the biggest benefit to the private league just the camraderie and trust you build by racing the same guys every week instead of never recognizing any other drivers in the race (public league)? Is biggest drawback just losing the convenience of having multiple racing time slots each night?

2) In the public leagues, does the game just assign random paint schemes that are universal so eveyrone seems some kind of paint? (have already read up on the numbering system)

3) Last question for now. If I sign up for 6 months, and then take a 3-4 month hiatus after my 6 month subscription is up, do I lose any additional cars and tracks I have purchased since then? Do I lose my license(es) I may have acquired during that time? Do I basically start over with no content and no ranking with a new user ID if I decided to come back later? Thanks.

There is definitely benefit from joining some of the well established leagues, the biggest being what you already have mentioned. Knowing a good group of guys who you know you can trust. Having said that, with time you'll find your favorite car, class and series, once your iRating has became stable you will most likely race the same guys over and over on the regular official races, you'll get to know them and respect them as well as they will you.
I currently pretty much run with 2 leagues, ChampionMotorSports and ISRA. There are many other great groups I wish I could run with and have run with on the past but my schedule simply does not allow me to.
In regards to the official racing, I love it as well as you can find great competition at any given time and there's also a great deal of variety. I haven't done much in the past 3 seasons because I'm simply focusing my sim time on those 2 great groups I mentioned before.
And to answer your last question, you can leave for 10 years and if you decide to come back your account will be there with all your content, iRating and licenses just like it was when you left.

Answer to question 2.

You can paint your car from Iracing with there 3 color scheme designs. You get logos to put on, but nothing that complex. That's what everyone will see for your car.

Now you can use TradingPaints.com and put your own custom skin for each car. You have to upload your design to the trading paints website (must create an account, can do the free account) and anyone whose using the trading paints program (little system tray app that downloads other people's car skins) and you can see them.

You can design your own skins, there are TGA files you can get from iracing. However if you look on the "Showroom" forum section you'll see hundreds of skins designed by people. Some are free and some aren't. You can request a design and usually people will charge.

I use trading paints, and I leave my cars painted black in iracing setup for people not using trading paints. Dont' forget the fanatec sponsor for the chance to win some good stufff at the end of the season.

I've never done any private leagues due to being unable to commit to specific time slots. I've had very good times just running the official championships in my time on iRacing, as Jav posted once you find your favourite cars etc you will definitely find regular drivers in your chosen series, you can build up good friendships with those drivers and have some very good practice battles and official races. I definitely don't think I've missed anything by not being able to do private leagues.

Back