Pulling left/right while braking

• Thread starter czerka
  • 8 comments
United States
United States
czerka's_epeen
I have a 550pp 370z on sports soft. I am using regular brakes. When braking, particularly under heavy braking, it pulls to the left, occasionally to the right. If it is really hard braking, such as after a front straight it is really really noticeable. I've changed the diff settings, I've changed the brake bias, nothing seems to change it. What could be causing it pulling and how can I fix it?

I tuned a 370Z. You can see if it is any better. You will find it from the link in my sig.

Brakes will pull to one side if there is a grade on the road and for other reasons, so it might not be a tuning issue.

The setup is basically yours. Less aero and more PP. Last two tracks I drove it on were Silverstone and Tokyo which are both pretty flat and the pulling is typically to the left instead of the direction of the turn or camber of it. I seem to generally be having a lot of issues adjusting to the brakes from Forza 4 so it may just be me, but given enough track the car seems like it would do a 180.

Maybe road camber plays a part in which way the car pulls while braking, possible solution is the decel setting on your diff and an increase (I think, not on game at mo)

high negative camber values and / or toe out can cause instability under braking

first thing you should do though, is put on racing brakes and see if that fixes it. i've noticed after switching to racing brakes the problem has gone away on a couple of cars.

One thing I don't like is a car that wanders under braking. You can correct it, but you shouldn't need to. Got enough going on racing.

Stock or race brakes, reduce the number. Something like 4...2 or 3..1 is sometimes needed. Think in terms of...the wheel is getting more maximum brake that it can handle, so you need to reduce the maximum.

A way to reduce the effect of braking if you like your current camber and toe is to stiffen the springs. Depending on how your car is otherwise handling, you may stiffen the front, back or both.

If the control problem increases with speed, it is a sign that your car is bottoming out. Raise the suspension both front and back if you don't want to change the understeer/oversteer.

I noticed this happens with normal brakes, and it also happens in real cars. I had to brake hard in my '95 camry one day (no ABS) and it wanted to pull to the left. I say wanted, because a little counter-steering and it was 'crabwalking' in a straight line, but the car was canted to the left. Seems like PD got something mostly right.

Also, if you are using a controller, try to practice not going "full brakes". I still use X and [] and have noticed that they are much, much more sensitive than in GT5. Even in "stressful situations" I can use half power while braking. Unless I'm in an X-car, then it's *Clarkson voice: "POWAR AND SPEEEED!!" or full on braking

Brake-steering is a real thing. Brakes aren't just for stopping. That's one thing I'd like to see the GT get better at replicating.

That said, I know exactly what the OP is talking about. Mine occurred in the Audi R8 LMS Ultra. I adjusted the brakes to 7 Front, 3 Rear and it would dart left (pretty standard, effective setup for me in a MR car in GT5). But the car is undrivable with those brake settings, even in a straight line.

Back