Q&A with Slightly Mad Studios: Ian Bell [Read OP]

• Thread starter Kitten
  • 3,687 comments
We've reviewed radiator efficiency...with damage enabled you're gonna blow engine quickly if you trim that down. Checking on the heating influence on power/torque curves..not sure..I don't play sissy "no damage" mode.

Oh also, we finally broke out the front vs rear brake duct settings. Been waiting since 2010 (Shift 1) for that! It's in game now.

Rear brake ducts are huge! I can't wait for that. Yes I meant the power curves. I thought that was part of the issue in PCARS. Thank you for the response!

We've reviewed radiator efficiency...with damage enabled you're gonna blow engine quickly if you trim that down. Checking on the heating influence on power/torque curves..not sure..I don't play sissy "no damage" mode.

Oh also, we finally broke out the front vs rear brake duct settings. Been waiting since 2010 (Shift 1) for that! It's in game now.
Great. It's probably been asked a million times but will we see any data relating to the car in garage? E.g. Braking forces on fastest lap and other information.

@IanBell @The_American One of the things that bugs me is when it's at night, pitch black track, AI has no headlights but drives as if it's daylight. Is there anyway you guys have found around this issue? Say, imagine an AI car (with headlights) crashes, at night, and breaks said lights. Will he go slower until he repairs them or will he just switch on "night-vision"?
Yeah, we'll make sure things like this aren't missed. It's good to be on an even playing field, right? If ti affects you it should affect the AI. Agree

@The_American american or @IanBell Will we be able to use all the cars on all the tracks like rallycross etc, or are they only allowed on certain tracks..

man I cannot wait..love project cars 1...:)

this pic i saw is ace
pc2.jpg

Yeah, i think the only restriction we will have is karts must remain on kart tracks. Or maybe the other way around..kart tracks can only accept karts. I get if confused. But yeah i think every other non-kart vehicle can go in the rallycross tracks. We were crazy enough to model all-terrain and perhaps studded tyres for all non-kart vehicles for this puprpose (and or the ice track too). So go ahead and enjoy those F-150 Raptor races in the dirt, pretty fun.

@The_American Congrats on securing the McLaren 720S, look forward to drive it in Project Cars 2 :) It is a 'timed exclusive' and I understand the importance of that for the game, but could you disclose for how long this exclusivity will last?

Hello, everyone!
I basically mainly registered because this seems to be the best place for asking questions about pCARS, and I haven't yet read enough about Live Track 3.0.

1. Will there be a big difference between dry and wet parts of the track? As in: If you touch the wet patches with slicks, you're basically bound to go spiralling off the track, like Alonso in Silverstone 2015? Because that'd make races where it dries out and the transition from wet to dry much more exciting.

2. How long does it take for a track to dry out completely on average? For example, Barcelona that was soaking wet and now enjoys blazing sunshine, how long does it take when the time settings remain unaccelerated? Around 30 minutes or just 2-3 laps (the latter would be pretty unrealistic)? In a similar spirit: Does it take more than ten minutes for the track to dry out completely after the dry line has formed?

3. Does it make a difference for the drying speed of the track whether the sky is overcast or cloudless?

4. Will it be like in pCARS 1, that the track is dry the second the rain drops stop appearing on screen, or will the rain stop long before the drying process is finished?

5. Will aquaplaning be simulated?

6. Related to previous question: Will the puddles be only visual or will it have a notable effect on the car to go through them? So that, for example, the Senna-S at Brazil will be even more devoid of grip than the rest of the track?

7. Will it be possible for rain to only come down over one of the track's sectors, like in F1 in Hockenheim 2000?

8. If Live Track 3.0 is dynamic, what would happen if I let it rain in Practice and didn't do any laps? No drying line then, right?

9. Does the track get wetter at different speeds depending on whether it's just rain or a thunderstorm?

10. That's something that most likely won't be implemented for PC2, but do you sometimes think about implementing (on dynamic weather only, of course) a weather condition that is almost completely undriveable and makes the rain tyres feel like Slicks do in the wet? In the past years, we had some monsoon showers in Malaysia that had these conditions, for example in 2001 in F1. And in these conditions, a red flag is often brought out, in every class of motorsport. Would it be possible to implement something like this in the future? I think it'd add a lot of immersion and you'd get a feel for how the drivers feel when the aquaplaning takes over.

I know, a very long post and a whole bunch of questions, but I'd be really thankful if these could be answered. Live Track 3.0 seems to be the best weather system ever implemented by FAR, and I can't help myself to be curious about it. xD

Yeah, i think the only restriction we will have is karts must remain on kart tracks. Or maybe the other way around..kart tracks can only accept karts. I get if confused. But yeah i think every other non-kart vehicle can go in the rallycross tracks. We were crazy enough to model all-terrain and perhaps studded tyres for all non-kart vehicles for this puprpose (and or the ice track too). So go ahead and enjoy those F-150 Raptor races in the dirt, pretty fun.
It was kart circuits only allow karts.

Also, why not have IndyCar or LMP1 or GT3 on dirt?

Yeah, i think the only restriction we will have is karts must remain on kart tracks. Or maybe the other way around..kart tracks can only accept karts. I get if confused.
Ahh that would be a shame. I used to have an absolute blast dragging the Caterham R500 around the Glencairn and Greenwood karting circuits. They are just too much - would be good fun to allow some lightweight/road class cars on the kart tracks.
I can understand the reason why PC2 wouldn't want that though but it is a little bit of a shame.

@The_American Congrats on securing the McLaren 720S, look forward to drive it in Project Cars 2 :) It is a 'timed exclusive' and I understand the importance of that for the game, but could you disclose for how long this exclusivity will last?
Don't have this information. Please call our Marketing department ;)

Hello, everyone!
I basically mainly registered because this seems to be the best place for asking questions about pCARS, and I haven't yet read enough about Live Track 3.0.

1. Will there be a big difference between dry and wet parts of the track? As in: If you touch the wet patches with slicks, you're basically bound to go spiralling off the track, like Alonso in Silverstone 2015? Because that'd make races where it dries out and the transition from wet to dry much more exciting.

2. How long does it take for a track to dry out completely on average? For example, Barcelona that was soaking wet and now enjoys blazing sunshine, how long does it take when the time settings remain unaccelerated? Around 30 minutes or just 2-3 laps (the latter would be pretty unrealistic)? In a similar spirit: Does it take more than ten minutes for the track to dry out completely after the dry line has formed?

3. Does it make a difference for the drying speed of the track whether the sky is overcast or cloudless?

4. Will it be like in pCARS 1, that the track is dry the second the rain drops stop appearing on screen, or will the rain stop long before the drying process is finished?

5. Will aquaplaning be simulated?

6. Related to previous question: Will the puddles be only visual or will it have a notable effect on the car to go through them? So that, for example, the Senna-S at Brazil will be even more devoid of grip than the rest of the track?

7. Will it be possible for rain to only come down over one of the track's sectors, like in F1 in Hockenheim 2000?

8. If Live Track 3.0 is dynamic, what would happen if I let it rain in Practice and didn't do any laps? No drying line then, right?

9. Does the track get wetter at different speeds depending on whether it's just rain or a thunderstorm?

10. That's something that most likely won't be implemented for PC2, but do you sometimes think about implementing (on dynamic weather only, of course) a weather condition that is almost completely undriveable and makes the rain tyres feel like Slicks do in the wet? In the past years, we had some monsoon showers in Malaysia that had these conditions, for example in 2001 in F1. And in these conditions, a red flag is often brought out, in every class of motorsport. Would it be possible to implement something like this in the future? I think it'd add a lot of immersion and you'd get a feel for how the drivers feel when the aquaplaning takes over.

I know, a very long post and a whole bunch of questions, but I'd be really thankful if these could be answered. Live Track 3.0 seems to be the best weather system ever implemented by FAR, and I can't help myself to be curious about it. xD
1. Yes, depends on water level

2. Water level depends on rain amount and track drainage

3. and temperature and evaporation

4. so drying could more time or less time depending on a few factors

5. Yes, we are calibrating now

6. It's not just visual, you're gonna feel it in the FFB and lose control of the car.

7. "local weather"....I don't remember the answer to this. I will say no for right now, Ian might surprise us.

8. Yes

9. and Yes

10. Yeah it can turn into a big mess (thunderstorm continuous)

It was kart circuits only allow karts.

Also, why not have IndyCar or LMP1 or GT3 on dirt?
Sorry, I meant you CAN run these non-kart vehicles in the dirt. Watch out for the red shells

What is this Mario Kart? Throw out a banana too? God, this is getting dumber by the day,yeah those cars are designed for dirt.

Oh c'mon, who hasn't had a laugh trying to drive 650PP Supercars on the indoor kart track in GT6? I know I have.

That's also kinda the point of these games too isn't it? To try things that could NEVER be done in real life just to have some fun? Sounds like a great way to say "here, hold my beer" without the risk of injury or property damage.

First and foremost, and I really want to get this point across: Wow. I'd never have thought to get so many positive answers on my questions. Thanks for the answers & please take my money.

There was just one thing I think I didn't clarify properly in my question.
4. so drying could more time or less time depending on a few factors
The reason I was asking that particular question was, basically, F1 2012 from Codemasters. It was the only game where they had a drying line, and I still think it was quite well implemented, at least on the PC version. But it only lasted for one or two laps, three at max, then the track was usually wholly dry, whereas in real life (for example Montreal 2011), the track was still wet next to the dry line one hour after the rain stopped. So, the main point of my question was: Is a drying period of equal length as the one in Montreal possible in pCARS2?

Great. It's probably been asked a million times but will we see any data relating to the car in garage? E.g. Braking forces on fastest lap and other information.

If by braking forces you mean longitudinal forces and/or brake pedal position than those should most likely will be available at the very least from the telemetry API, since pCARS 1 had them as well.

Sorry, I meant you CAN run these non-kart vehicles in the dirt. Watch out for the red shells

That sounds like fun. Can't wait to bring out one of the Formula cars on the icy track we saw in the videos. :)

If by braking forces you mean longitudinal forces and/or brake pedal position than those should most likely will be available at the very least from the telemetry API, since pCARS 1 had them as well.

That sounds like fun. Can't wait to bring out one of the Formula cars on the icy track we saw in the videos. :)
I meant in game.

The second part's in good spirit. :)

Oh c'mon, who hasn't had a laugh trying to drive 650PP Supercars on the indoor kart track in GT6? I know I have.

That's also kinda the point of these games too isn't it? To try things that could NEVER be done in real life just to have some fun? Sounds like a great way to say "here, hold my beer" without the risk of injury or property damage.
This is not GT6. Please God no!
I'm sure all the real world handling and physics are out the window,with an Indy car on dirt. Why not just make World of Outlaws Cars then?

Timed Race duration is a clock now HH:MM in increments of 5 minutes up to 24:00

(Can still do laps up to 999 laps also)

Time acceleration choices: "x2, x5, x10, x15, x20, x25, x30, x40, x50, x60"

GT3 class we are already in double-digit for vehicle count including all the major brands. You'll be fine ;)

*cough* are you allowed to say on how many cars I am wrong? :)

Acura NSX GT3
Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3
Audi R8 LMS
Bentley Continental GT3
BMW M6 GT3
Cadillac ATS-V.R GT3
Ferrari 488 GT3
Ginetta G55 GT3
Lamborghini Huracan GT3
Lexus RC F GT3
McLaren 650S GT3
Mercedes-AMG GT3