Quattro versus Stratos

• Thread starter Thematic
  • 7 comments
Finland
Finland
thematic604
The Audi Quattro (et al.) took the world of rallying by the tender parts and squeezed. Never mind that now. I wanted to see what happens, when the street legal Audi and Lancia go head to head. Maybe you can, too?

Here (it won't take more than one hour and potentially much less):
Buy both cars*. Choose a snow or dirt track, maybe one that you know best or well. Buy the tyres to match. Do three laps in TT or free run, grip "real". Save the best lap. Which car was faster, and by how much?

** Should be 400 PP AUDI and 410 PP Lancia.

I did this on Chamonix East, though the Audi was at 406 PP (oil). The Lancia was 2 seconds faster. No driving aids.

Sounds good.. Will try it when I catch some time.. .
I really really hope Lancia wins tho :)

Edit: Just saw the spoiler.... I know Stratos is faster but I think someone who didn't spent lot time in the car will win with Audi easier because handling is more "typical"... I know Stratos very well, problem is that I don't know snow/dirt tracks haha

Hey @Thematic.. Didn't want to spam other threads.. Haven't done it yet but will do it.. I wanted to ask you if those are your times at ring in your sig and also if you use abs 1 or 0.. Also what do you think except the ring most difficult circuits (can be dirt too).. Im asking because Im looking for some challenges when Ill play.. Difficult cars and interesting tracks combinations..

I wanted to ask you if those are your times at ring in your sig and also if you use abs 1 or 0..
All mine, all tweaks off and grip-r. set to real.
Also what do you think except the ring most difficult circuits (can be dirt too).. Im asking because Im looking for some challenges when Ill play.. Difficult cars and interesting tracks combinations..
I got a car for you, I definitely do not master it myself yet. Rear driven Kei-car (Mazda) Autozam AZ-1, stock at least wrt. power level. It doesn't have the power to have two options to control the rear. So for the precarious moments, if the countersteer is late or lacking, it will do an unsavory dance.

Of course, there are a few other not quite as extreme examples, like the 1986 MR2 with or without supercharging.

I don't regularly do dirt (or snow), so it took me a long time to get a feel for the part on Eiger where you come a long way down the mountain with limited grip. The challenge lies in not having any barrier contact. I do not remember if there was a mission/test here, but those come with skid recovery force. The long layout doesn't go quite as far, and it's the one I have used more. Mostly with various road cars, maybe best with a familiar rear wheel drive with a substantial turbo.

@Thematic
DSC_1050~2.JPG

Was testing my wheel on GT5 since it works much better than on 6. Basically the philosophy of driving the Stratos where you need to point the car where you want it to go and push the throttle and pray to god works much better than if you try to drive Audi and use 4WD to exit corners fast because it just wont happen since it doesn't have enough power. Also it understeers to much so it's easier to go out of track with Audi because it gives you the feeling of false safety and because of it you can miss braking point more easily than with Lancia which you know you need to be responsive all the time or you die.
DSC_1051~3.JPG

There are many seconds to gain on both cars since I'm little bit rusty, but the gap is realistic I think.

Last edited:
Back