Question about car types, and comparisons.

  • Thread starter Thread starter mrmacdude
  • 4 comments
  • 602 views
Messages
1
What exactly is a touring car, in real life? What are they supposed to be used for?



For endurance races, should I be using whatever car I own thats the fastest? Or a touring car? Or what?


How do I compare similar cars? For example, I have two different Mercedes touring cars, and a mitsubishi one. The worst (in my opinion) is priced the highest, and the best is priced lowest. Is there some magic numbers to use? I look at power-to-weight, but it doesn't always tell the whole story.

Any other relevant tips would be nice as well.

Thanks!
 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touring_car_racing


that link will tell you what a "touring car" is - I'll try to tell you what you need to look for in a good car to race with. Price is not determinitive. You need a balance of handling and power in order to win a race. There are no magic numbers - you just have to try them out and see what car you think puts you on equal footing with your competition.
 
It's kind of hard to tell. It's just you have to know something about cars. The highest priced cars aren't ALWAYS the best , heck sometimes they can suck! Power to Weight explains a little but it seems I just know what cars are good. I don't even have to second guess myself. I think a bunch of guys here think the same way I do.


Regards,
J
 
The best way to tell if a car is good is to try them out yourself. Sometimes the price tag can be misleading. An expensive car can be beaten by a much cheaper car.

It also depends on the driver, so whatever feels good for you, use it.
 
There's always a reason why a car has a higher price tag ... However, it doesn't necessarily have a higher price because it's faster ... Luxury features add a lot of $$$ to a car's price and they don't add anything to the car's performance (actually, the luxury features typically add weight/drain power, so they actually detract from a car's performance) ... Also, the quality of parts used to build the car, technology, research, how the car is made (hand built is much more expensive) and how many are produced each year (higher production cars are typically cheaper to make, thus cheaper to buy) all affect how much a car is worth ... Then there's the fact that most cars are not developed as all-out performance sports cars ...
 
Back