Question about GTX 1060

• Thread starter Gas12
  • 10 comments

Gas12

(Banned)
England
England
Was looking at upgrading (once i can get one at fair price), was window shopping in internet and at clock speeds, here is the thing, my 1060 boosts to 1924 and drops a bit to 1911.
Why is it i see better cards with lower speeds?
Forgive me if its obvious. Just really curious.

So if i got a 1080 at say off the top of my head clocked to 1700mhz, is mine at 1942 'better' or am i missing something?

Last edited:
The GTX 1080 has twice the compute cores as the 1060, so even though the clock speeds are slower, because it has twice as many cores, performance is significantly better. Not to mention the larger amount of VRAM that the 1080 has (8GB vs 3/6GB) and that ram having significantly more bandwidth.

Long story short, that's not exactly how clock speeds work. You have to take into consideration memory bandwidth, memory type, number of shaders, compute units, tensor cores, etc, etc. Clock speeds on lower end models are often higher as a means to bridge the gap as much as possible and make up for what it lacks.

So, no, a GTX 1060 is in no way, shape, or form better than a GTX 1080.

Long story short, that's not exactly how clock speeds work. You have to take into consideration memory bandwidth, memory type, number of shaders, compute units, tensor cores, etc, etc. Clock speeds on lower end models are often higher as a means to bridge the gap as much as possible and make up for what it lacks.

So, no, a GTX 1060 is in no way, shape, or form better than a GTX 1080.
Yep sounds right. A GTX 1060 boosting to 1924mhz before over clocking anything is good though right?
It is a geoforce twin fan, i can over clock it up to 2200mhz.

Anyway i will be getting a 1080 next then once prices calm a bit.

Yep sounds right. A GTX 1060 boosting to 1924mhz before over clocking anything is good though right?
It is a geoforce twin fan, i can over clock it up to 2200mhz.

Anyway i will be getting a 1080 next then once prices calm a bit.
Depends on what you mean by "good". Good in the sense that you clearly have even more headroom after the fact? Yes.

If the climate wasn't as it is, I'd suggest ignoring the 1080 altogether and getting a 3060 or 3060 Ti. The former smokes the 1080 and the latter smokes the 1080 Ti, 2080, and 2080 Super.

Just a flat screen 49 inch standard 1920x1080 60hz
And what kinds of games do you play? The 1080 was meant to be a 4K card, with your monitor (depending on the games you play) you would quite possibly be wasting a lot of its potential which would make it a waste of money. Is there anything you're struggling to run smoothly on your 1060 that has made you want to upgrade?

Bearing in mind that I have no idea what the price difference is, a 2060 or 2070 would be a much bigger upgrade because of ray tracing and DLSS (but again, that depends on what you play). I'm guessing they're a bit more expensive but if you can wait for 30xx supply to even out they should drop significantly.

Mainly play Assetto Corsa these days but have loads of driving sims and few non racing games.
Just fancy an upgrade really, but all depends on prices really, might just end up getting whole new system.

OK so i ended up getting new PC built for me with Ryzen 5 3600 from my i7 4790. And certainly in sim racing CPU matters.

Can get about 50% more AI drivers in a race now. So full grids basically.

All with same GPU 1060.
Have 1070 to go in as well in next few days.

But yes CPU is far more important than Better GPU in sim racing terms at least.

Well chuffed.

Update, i got a RTX 2070.
Very happy.
I still play rfactor 1 and rfactor 2 and is utter overkill for those at 60hz!
Max settings and only hits about 1200mhz using 40% power.... bizare.
Taken me 3 days to understand mhz and voltage, only just clocked that if the GPU is using low voltage then the Mhz is low also, learnt this from undervolting it for MSFS...

Back