Question about HDMI cables

• Thread starter digitalic
  • 4 comments
Does it matter which HDMI cable you use when hooking up a console like PS5 or PC to a 4K TV? I have a lot of old HDMI cables, not exactly which version but I think perhaps 1.x something. Will I still be able to use it with modern day console/PC and TV's? Or do I have to purchase the new HDMI 2.1 cables?

2.1 cables are only for TV's which support over 60hz if I am not mistaken, any old hdmi cable should do for a standard 4k 60hz tv.

Never actually used a 2.1 so stand to be corrected.

HDMI cables aren't defined by HDMI revision numbers, they are all identical in terms of connections and what have you. However, there are vast differences in how an HDMI cable is constructed which can affect their performance and generally speaking, the thicker the cable, the better it is, and the better it is, the more likely it'll be able to handle a high rate of transfer (needed for high resolutions and frame rates), so the cable you used to connect a 720p 60Hz device to a TV had lower requirements than one used to connect a 4K 120Hz device would have today, so odds are an old, old cable won't be capable of meeting the requirements of a PS5 just because those cables were made before a time when those requirements existed. Also, use the shortest possible cable.

So in short, yes your cables will work electrically, but if what you're using the cables for requires a lot of bandwidth you might have issues that'll probably look like a loss of picture for a few seconds at a time at regular intervals. I'm an AV engineer professionally and cable issues are the absolute bane of my existence.

Edit: https://www.hdmi.org/resource/cables might help clear things up.

Last edited:
Try these
1699200090426.jpeg

Last edited:
Back