Question about how the car is modelled...

Hi, there's something I don't get. Before I say this I want to say that Polyphony's models are the best in the business IMO.

They spend 6 months modelling the car. Why does it take that long?

Why can't they just laserscan the car and use the data they get from car manufcaturers? Wouldn't be a lot quicker?

Just curious. Hope you're having a good one guys.

It's the limits of the hardware. It's relatively easy to create an accurate 3D model of a car. Dumbing it down so that it can be rendered (beautifully) in real time on an aging gaming console, along with fifteen other cars and a racetrack is difficult. Most other game developers do the modelling faster, but hardly anyone else does it at the same level of detail.

Its all about the polygons (Baby! for those who remember Ma$e and Sean "Puffy" Combs)
Given unlimited storage and processing power, you can 3d scan and replicate every single molecule or atom of a structure, the key is getting it usable by a limited machine

Do we actually know it takes them 6 months to model a single car? Because that sounds extremely iffy to me.
most likely due to using one modeler for each car to retain the "essence" of the car, 1 modeler=1 car in 6 months; 100 modelers=100 cars in 6 months, the doc KAZ had something on it and used a japanese word (edit: shokunin concept.)

Discussion thread here:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/shokunin-concept.300888/

Last edited:
Am I correct in saying, theoretically, it shouldn't take as long to model premium cars on GT7 for PS4?
this would be my thinking, it seems they are thinking ahead and modeling in a resolution that that will be appropriate for PS4 and possible further iterations of the game. They would then be reducing data points to be processable on PS3.

Probably because having a single person doing each car from start to finish is the most inefficient way imaginable of doing it. It requires them to be a Jack of all trades and master of none. Where someone who specializes in a specific thing can be extremely good at it and at the same time do it really fast, that doesn't exist when a single person is doing everything.

And I haven't noticed that the cars have any "essence". Heck they all sound like vacuum cleaners for that matter.

Hi, there's something I don't get. Before I say this I want to say that Polyphony's models are the best in the business IMO.

They spend 6 months modelling the car. Why does it take that long?

Why can't they just laserscan the car and use the data they get from car manufcaturers? Wouldn't be a lot quicker?

Just curious. Hope you're having a good one guys.

Maybe you should check here before making new thread >>> https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/shokunin-concept.300888/ :D

In fact I can say that their modeling skill is average only, lots of cockpits are poorly modeled and I can find some topology bugs on the newest models in GT6 too. It won't need 6 months to build a full detailed game model either, likely can build 5 if you ask me.......if they do.......they are way too slow since they can gain the official data from the car manufacturer.

And I can say that Shokunin Concept is more like a BS..............normally everyone in this industry would model the whole car by their own..............it's nothing special

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one has hacked the files to figure that out.

The 6 month think is a marketing point to proclaim quality (back in the GT 4 era if my memory serves). It's not a literal guy replicating a car for .5 years of his life... There are like a dozen threads about this. Its a misnomer.

Probably because having a single person doing each car from start to finish is the most inefficient way imaginable of doing it. It requires them to be a Jack of all trades and master of none. Where someone who specializes in a specific thing can be extremely good at it and at the same time do it really fast, that doesn't exist when a single person is doing everything.

And I haven't noticed that the cars have any "essence". Heck they all sound like vacuum cleaners for that matter.

I think that was for the Vision GT cars, not for the regular cars.

In fact I can say that their modeling skill is average only, lots of cockpits are poorly modeled and I can find some topology bugs on the newest models in GT6 too. It won't need 6 months to build a full detailed game model either, likely can build 5 if you ask me.......if they do.......they are way too slow since they can gain the official data from the car manufacturer.

And I can say that Shokunin Concept is more like a BS..............normally everyone in this industry would model the whole car by their own..............it's nothing special

Like I've said. Optimization. PC games give you the same level of detail. And PC game mods even more. But those models require you to have a dozen gigabytes of RAM and a graphics card more powerful than a PS3... all on its own. I've played lots of titles on the PS3 that have much more lag than GT5, with less detail. (NFS games come to mind)... While yes, six months is a very long time, we don't know whether that's six straight, and we don't know how much of that is optimization to get the game running smoothly... in which case the modeller won't be doing it all alone, anymore.

Perhaps you are forgetting the craftsman's approach in all of this. Before mass production, people who were good at making a certain thing, like a cabinet, a painting or an item of tableware were the only one doing all stages in creating that thing. True, that later on they began using apprentices who learned from the masters, but that was more to ensure that the skills were not lost when the master could no longer make whatever it was that they had spent their life creating and producing. It also isn't inefficient if you factor quality into the equation, because that breathes individuality into what is being made which mass production cannot.

In the case of a vehicle being modelled for a game, the GT titles have that certain individuality, quite clearly, and I think that is what is being aimed for. Traditional methods needn't be bad, is all I'm saying.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the laser scanner can accurately detect color. Also, it would be very hard for it to see into every nook and cranny in the air vents, behind wheels, inside headlight assemblies, etc. All that stuff has to be rebuilt by a CGI designer.

The graphics in GT6 don't look as crisp or clear cut compared to GT5 especially in the dealership showroom gallery for premium cars. It's like the lighting and reflections on the cars doesn't blend in well with the environment. I really miss the backdrop scroll-through effects they used to have in GT5 dealership (the sunset effect looked so nice). Not sure why they took it out

I could be wrong, but I don't think the laser scanner can accurately detect color. Also, it would be very hard for it to see into every nook and cranny in the air vents, behind wheels, inside headlight assemblies, etc. All that stuff has to be rebuilt by a CGI designer.

You are wrong :)* . AAnd there are several ways to get into nooks and crannies to complete your point cloud. At the same time you can prepare textures and map them to the area that your faces will occupy. Depending on how you present the cloud you might just colour the points but this wouldn't be suitable for an automobile model.

Scanning an object like an automobile in full detail would take about 40 hours but it takes much longer to "finish" the model with translucent surfaces.

Headlights (which I always think of as the "eyes" of the car") are very difficult to get right, imo Forza haven't managed it even now. GT has always been streets ahead with rendering those and it's part of the reason that their work has always been so impressive.

*A traditional laser scanner won't return a point colour but a modern device will take a reading from the same LOS point with several lenses.

Back