Question about masking

Canada
Beautiful West Coast
I am new to the game, only had it for just over 7 weeks now and new to this site that I found today, so I created an account. The question that I have is what process do you use for doing masking in the livery editor, because I want to enter the competition that is on the forum. Here are a couple of the liveries that I have produced so far. Thank you.

San Antonio PD.jpg

Star Wars.jpg

Masking is a technique to override the limitation of the game which doesn't allow you to use special colours on a decal, but only on the base.

Let's say you want to do a gold chrome wheel arche on a black car.

What you think you have to do :
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20180505093556.jpg

But you end up with a flat yellowish stripe.

What you have to do :
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20180505093411.jpg

Use a gold chrome car then cover it to only see the gold part you want. The hardest trick is that you can't overlay the base coat.

It's the same if you want a chrome square on your car :
Wrong way :
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20180505092737.jpg
A grey square.

Right way :
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20180505092952.jpg
Four masking rectangles and the square you want not covered in the middle

By tweaking and affining your technique or your decals, you can do very interesting things !

Thank you Cytoria for posting this information with some good basic examples. I am going to sit down and practice these now and see what I can come up with. Hopefully I will be able to have something that I can enter into the competition before 9 May. Have an awesome day.

Cytoria explained very well the basic technique of masking painted areas. It is not that complicated as long as you want to use simple graphic elements as squares and circles. When it comes to logos and typography however, you have to find fitting decals in the "discover section" of gran-turismo.com or create the material by your own.
As an example you might want to show the classic Pirelli trademark (red type on yellow rectangle) on your car. Thinking the “negative way” you can use a stencil black&white version of the Pirelli logo on the red body of your car and paint the decal in yellow. The result is the same, but different. Changing the body paint will also change the color of the logo.
Good luck!:gtpflag:

Back