Question about ride height

• Thread starter Wydopen
  • 8 comments
United States
East Central Illinois
xx-wydopen-xx
Lately I have been seeing some tunes posted by some really fast racers with extreme ride height differences between the front and back. I am talking about the front end being 50-90 mm higher than the back. Apparently it works as they are able to run significantly faster times than me, but I know in the real world, this would never fly. Is this another bug in the physics of the game? It is claimed that it cures understeer problems, but IRL I would think it would cause understeer. What are your opinions on this?

Lately I have been seeing some tunes posted by some really fast racers with extreme ride height differences between the front and back. I am talking about the front end being 50-90 mm higher than the back. Apparently it works as they are able to run significantly faster times than me, but I know in the real world, this would never fly. Is this another bug in the physics of the game? It is claimed that it cures understeer problems, but IRL I would think it would cause understeer. What are your opinions on this?

I can't see any significant difference in understeer when raising the front. In fact, I'm getting slighty more G's in the corners when the front end is lower, but it's a tiny difference.

If they're significantly faster then you it's probably because they're significantly faster drivers, not because they use a raised front end.

A customized suspension setup is basically neutral values until the slider is changed. A lower front will start causing understeer if the rear is neutral, and a lower rear will cause oversteer if the front is neutral. If you initiate the split by lower the neutral value of one and raising the neutral value of the other, the difference will be more pronounced. Much the same with spring rates. Hope that helps

The really sad part about this glitch is they could leave it and fix the GUI by swapping the read values :lol:
But yes how @Burned_Rubber explained it is a good way to think about it.
As for me I treat it this way. Level ride height the cars natural turning style is at full effect. Raising the rear end induces understeer. Lowering the rear induces oversteer. The greater the difference the greater the effect. So you could put the car 5 points from max on front and rear and have similar driving effects as default values Just more body roll.

Last edited:
There's really no evidence of ride height being backwards or bugged. It is certainly not universally accepted that high front ride heights are beneficial to lap times.

In my best tunes I have tested many different combinations of settings. My final setup will be the combination of tuning settings that gave the best result. I have no problem with driving other peoples tunes with high front ride heights but if I look over my most driven cars in my garage, the trend is that most are lower at the front, some have equal ride heights, none have higher front ride heights.

I believe that you can get a low pressure zone under a car by having low front ride height (it might not be for all cars and it might have higher effect on some cars) and you effectively get more downforce and cornering speed. You may have to adjust other settings so your car drives well over curbs or has equal grip front and rear etc, just remember, there's no reason you need to make each adjustment in isolation.

I also have ghost replays from tuning contests I can load with the data logger which confirms what setups have superior cornering speeds and outright fastest laps seem to dominated by nose down tunes in Fitt events.

Last edited:
I also have ghost replays from tuning contests I can load with the data logger which confirms what setups have superior cornering speeds and outright fastest laps seem to dominated by nose down tunes in Fitt events.

I cannot remember a FITT tune from me that had lower front ride height and I seem to keep finishing on the podium, so there is that...

Last edited:
The larger point might be, similar to camber, altering ride height should have clear benefits or consequences if done properly which IMO it does not. Similar to a number of tuning elements in GT, effects are either muted or so minor as to be almost indistingishable.

Back