Question about Time Trials

• Thread starter pentaxfun
  • 4 comments
United States
Los Angeles
QuasarFun1142
Hi,

I have never owned the F1 series games before (I always just got the Gran Turismo games), so I don't have any experience or knowledge of what types of modes or events there are, or what these modes or events specifically consist of.

I used to watch a lot of F1 racing back when I was in high school (my two favorite drivers were Montoya and Raikkonen, back when Michael Schumacher was dominating around 2003 or 2004 when the Ferrari was seemingly a lot faster/better than the other F1 cars at the time. I was always rooting for Montoya and Raikkonen to beat him since I thought maybe they had more raw talent in spite of driving slower/less reliable cars. Not sure if that was actually true or not, but as a teenager, that was the vibe I got, and was what made it fun to watch the races and have someone to root for, lol)

Anyway, I'm a bit of a weirdo, so, I literally don't even like to do actual races (against other cars, I mean). I only like to do Time Trials (or "super-laps" or "hot-laps" or "time attacks" or whatever name the different games use to describe the same thing). So, if I bought this game, it would be strictly to participate in online Time Trials events.

So, what I need to know is:

Does this game have Time Trial events?

How does it work? Are there like tens of thousands of people that all participate, and it lasts 1 week or 1 month or something and then they pick a new track and begin a new Time Trial event and so on and so forth, and it shows the Top 100 or however many people who have the fastest lap times on a leaderboard that is visible for everyone to see in the race lobby?

Or does the game not really have any formal/official-style Time Trial events and it only has informal types of club events that people can set up and use the "honor system" by posting screen shots in the forum or stuff like that, but not have an actual in-game thing where it records people's actual lap times and shows your ranking relative to all the other online users of the game?

Also, another concern I have is that this is the 2014 game (I don't have PS4 yet, so can't get F1 2015), so, not sure if a lot of people play the game online, or if it still has support or if they still make new Time Trial events for this 2014 game or only for the 2015 one or stuff like that.

Alright well, any info about this would be much appreciated! Thanks

Also, was wondering roughly how many people participate in the time trials. Like, when it shows your ranking result, does it show the percentile, or how many total entrants there were? (or, if it doesn't, then have any of you ever done an intentionally slow lap on a TT to see how many entrants there are using that method, and if so, what are we talking here ballpark, like 1,000 entrants? 10,000? 100,000? etc)

Also, how long do they last? Like 1 week? 1 Month? Does it change to a new track each time, or how does it work?

Sorry for so many questions about the time trials, lol, but that's the only thing I would end up doing in the game, and the game costs like 60 bucks, so I figure I better try to find out about that feature first

I'm a weirdo like you. :D I really find the actual racing in most racing games to be generally not fun - especially when you throw bad weather into the mix. The combination of generally poor AI and often poor performance from a technical (as in frame rate) perspective make for an experience that is usually more frustrating than fun. I get by far the most enjoyment by just picking a car and a track and trying to beat my own best times and comparing those with the world records. I've spent way way WAY more time alone @ Nurby in GT6 than I have all the other modes of the game put together.

Back