Question about tuning for more drift angle

• Thread starter ACGreen86
  • 9 comments
United States
MI
I come to you, mighty tuning gods, with a simple question:
How does one go about achieving more drift angle in a "non-drift trial", or normal lobby.

I've already learned the basics of tuning, but now I would like to know what specific settings (if any) would affect the maximum angle I could achieve in a normal lobby.

I am also aware that certain cars are able to achieve more angle naturally (I assume through the magic of programming). If possible, I'd like it if we could list these vehicles here for quick reference in the future.

The car I'm using right now for normal lobbies is the S13 Silvia Premium. I will provide my current tune if you think it necessary. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-ACGreen86

Rear toe is about the only setting that will affect how much angle you can sustain. You are mostly limited by the lack of steering angle adjustments which make the difference in real life

@DolHaus So then a higher positive rear toe will increase the maximum angle I can get? I know GT6 settings can be backward from real life sometimes, so I just want to make sure.

Also, awesome video XD

@DolHaus So then a higher positive rear toe will increase the maximum angle I can get? I know GT6 settings can be backward from real life sometimes, so I just want to make sure.
Not exactly, you can use rear toe in (+) to control the how far the car goes round without over rotating. I find the butter zone is generally somewhere between 0.10 - 0.20, the more you add the less willing the car will be to rotate. Adding too much toe in will make increase the slip angle too much and reduce rear grip (not in a good way).
The amount of angle you can hold in GT6 is purely down to driver skill, if the front wheels can't point 90 degrees to the car then there is no way it can sustain travel at 90 degrees to the corner.

I think I know what you mean. I've been practicing for a long time on Drift Trial rooms with a +0.20 rear toe. It's always worked fine, but that setting just doesn't cut it for normal rooms which is why I moved to the Silvia as it seems to have a higher natural limit. I'll try out some other settings as well. My friend swears that negative rear toe makes a huge difference but I think he's full of it so.... yeah. Thanks for your help though! I'm learning every time I post on here :D

Edit: Just as a side question, what do you think large negative rear toe would do to the car?

Last edited:
I think I know what you mean. I've been practicing for a long time on Drift Trial rooms with a +0.20 rear toe. It's always worked fine, but that setting just doesn't cut it for normal rooms which is why I moved to the Silvia as it seems to have a higher natural limit. I'll try out some other settings as well. My friend swears that negative rear toe makes a huge difference but I think he's full of it so.... yeah. Thanks for your help though! I'm learning every time I post on here :D
Rear toe out (-) will make the car extremely easy to rotate but difficult to control, I really wouldn't recommend it unless the car has real problems with initiating.
All of the Silvias are great cars, my favourite is the S14 but I've got a lot of love for the S13, I've got tunes for both in my garage if you are looking for a comparison point to test your own car against (link in my footnote).
Try your rear toe at 0.16, I find thats a good balance of rotation without constantly wanting to spin 👍

(In drift lobbies the cars have an extended steering angle compared to race lobbies, kind of a weird decision but what are you going to do :lol:)

I'm drifting with some friends that refuse to drift in DT lobbies. No idea why they won't but that's up to them. Our upcoming friendly competition is on the Madrid section, and I wanted to maximize my angle in the normal lobby. We know about the extra steering lock, but they just don't like DT rooms for some reason. :/

I'm drifting with some friends that refuse to drift in DT lobbies. No idea why they won't but that's up to them. Our upcoming friendly competition is on the Madrid section, and I wanted to maximize my angle in the normal lobby. We know about the extra steering lock, but they just don't like DT rooms for some reason. :/
Some folks are really against the scoring system, I can understand that but it doesn't bother me personally.
I'd say the best approach to this situation would be to try different tunes from different people and try to pick out the differences in both tuning technique and the feel of the car. Once you've done this try applying those different tuning techniques to your own car and see what happens 👍

No worries, happy to help 👍
If you want me to take a look at the tune and give you some feedback/pointers then feel free to message me

Back