Question for G29 owners

• Thread starter select20
  • 14 comments
United States
SC
select_21@yahoo.com
Infantry11b4
A little backstory first, in case people remember me asking about wheels in the past year and a half or so...

I've asked here about "which wheel to buy" with a budget of between $600-$900. I think maybe 2 or 3 times. Every single time something has come up like my kids last dentist visit was horrible, so hundreds of dollars when into that. I spend the next few months saving again, made a decision on what to buy (it was CSL Elite bundle at this time) i forgot to put my parking break on my car and it went down hill into the side of a building. There went all my money that time. Another time my wife got rear ended, but it pushed her into another car in front of her and we were responsible. I was going to be getting the CSL Elite bundle of somekind, had about $650 saved up and the piston rings went out on my van last week. So again, bye bye money.

That brings me up to date. What I almost always have in the budget is around $250-$300. I know that Logitech falls into that category (not interested in a Thrustmaster product at all) but a few years ago, before my kid's teeth getting jacked up, I had sold my G27 to make up the difference to upgrade my rig. I was really hoping to get something a lot better than a G27 which I spent 5 or 6 years on, but with the luck I've had, I might not ever get a wheel if I just keep letting circumstances keep me from racing.

To my question, How are you all liking your G29's? did any of you go from a G27 to a G29? If so, do you regret not getting something better? Should I save till Spring time frame and just get a CSL elite? etc etc.

Any replies are welcome.

A little backstory first, in case people remember me asking about wheels in the past year and a half or so...

I've asked here about "which wheel to buy" with a budget of between $600-$900. I think maybe 2 or 3 times. Every single time something has come up like my kids last dentist visit was horrible, so hundreds of dollars when into that. I spend the next few months saving again, made a decision on what to buy (it was CSL Elite bundle at this time) i forgot to put my parking break on my car and it went down hill into the side of a building. There went all my money that time. Another time my wife got rear ended, but it pushed her into another car in front of her and we were responsible. I was going to be getting the CSL Elite bundle of somekind, had about $650 saved up and the piston rings went out on my van last week. So again, bye bye money.

That brings me up to date. What I almost always have in the budget is around $250-$300. I know that Logitech falls into that category (not interested in a Thrustmaster product at all) but a few years ago, before my kid's teeth getting jacked up, I had sold my G27 to make up the difference to upgrade my rig. I was really hoping to get something a lot better than a G27 which I spent 5 or 6 years on, but with the luck I've had, I might not ever get a wheel if I just keep letting circumstances keep me from racing.

To my question, How are you all liking your G29's? did any of you go from a G27 to a G29? If so, do you regret not getting something better? Should I save till Spring time frame and just get a CSL elite? etc etc.

Any replies are welcome.

G27 and 29 are similar in feel. If you want an "upgrade" then I would save money for a CSL-E if that is what you want. If you want to stay in budget just go for G29.

What are you using now? I have gone from a G25 to a G27 to a G29, still using the same pedals from the G25. All the wheels have held up nice the G29 took a beating with Dirt 4 (been replaced) turned FFB down. With that being said you should be able to find a G29 for around $200. Use it till you can get a better wheel.

G27 and 29 are similar in feel. If you want an "upgrade" then I would save money for a CSL-E if that is what you want. If you want to stay in budget just go for G29.

Yeah, I am really leaning towards this. I would just hate you save again and end up with nothing due to circumstance.

What are you using now? I have gone from a G25 to a G27 to a G29, still using the same pedals from the G25. All the wheels have held up nice the G29 took a beating with Dirt 4 (been replaced) turned FFB down. With that being said you should be able to find a G29 for around $200. Use it till you can get a better wheel.

I haven't had a wheel since I sold my g27 a few years ago with the intent of almost immediately buying a csl elite within a few days of selling it. Longest I have been without a wheel since like 2004.

One question I forgot to ask about the g29. I had a DFGT before my g27. One thing I could always feel on my DFGT, even on Iracing, was I could feel how much I would need counter steer in order to catch the rear end of a car when it stepped out on me. When I started using the G27, I couldn't feel that anymore. Is that something you can feel on the g29? I played on a friend's older CSR and I could correct oversteer no problem, but couldn't feel it on a T150. Not sure if I am being clear, but hopefully you know what I mean.

You can feel the stepping out, it's a little iffy at times (feels like the wheel has lost steering FFB fades and then catches and grip/FFB returns) . I've not used a high dollar wheel (too scared) don't want to spend the money on high dollar wheel. I can say that my G25 and G27 wheel still work, The G27 was only used for about 2 months as that was when the PS4 came out and found G29 wheel on sale.

I’m loving my G29, but then I’ve not tried anything else, so ignorance is bliss I guess.

As far as feeling how much countersteer correction is needed, well that really comes down to how the game has implemeted the FFB for the G29. GTS is a bit iffy in this regard, but PC2 does it fine.

Ok thanks for those replies. While I put years on my g27, that was my biggest frustration was not feeling how much correction was needed when the rear stepped out. What opelgt1969 said is exactly what I'm talking about. If you can feel that on the G29 then that is very promising to me. That description was how my old DFGT felt and that Fanatec CSR felt when I used it a few times. I actually used to like setting up my cars so they were a little lose on entry and exit. On my g27 is was like guess work as the FFB strength didn't change at all from the entry of the corner, to when the rear end stepped out, to when I counter steered. It was like just one constant feeling. It very well could've just been a weird issue with my wheel, I dont' know, but it was always like that. I adjusted to it, but I didn't like having to.

I'm really tempted to pull the trigger since the G29's are 50% off atm. So tempting. I'll make the decision tomorrow for sure before cyber Monday is out. Or do my best to convince the wife to let me get the CSL. I really think either way I'll be getting a wheel ordered tomorrow. So tired of not racing.

Its a shame you arent considering TM. TX/T300 is a clear improvement over the G29 and you can find great deals on them.

I'm a little scared of TM to be honest. I know not everyone gets defective stuff, but it seems like I only read about people having problems with Thrustmaster, or their wheels not lasting very long. I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS One that I've had for awhile and have put hundreds of hours on, so I'm not against TM in general, just their wheels make me nervous.

I'm a little scared of TM to be honest. I know not everyone gets defective stuff, but it seems like I only read about people having problems with Thrustmaster, or their wheels not lasting very long. I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS One that I've had for awhile and have put hundreds of hours on, so I'm not against TM in general, just their wheels make me nervous.

The vast majority have no problems with these wheels. You also get 2 year warranty and people who have problems with their gear are more likely to be more vocal. If you cant justify shelling out for Fanatec I would definately consider T300/TX. It is a really good wheel.

Just wanted to give an update. I convinced the wife to let me spend a bit more money. I bought the CSL Elite for PS4 and PC. I am very excited, been too long since I had a wheel.

Cant wait to try out GT sport as I have been a fan of the series since the first one. More so cant wait to get back into iRacing.

Glad you did not buy a T300. Many people don't have issues but far too many do. When you take it apart and have a look inside you realise why it has a high failure rate. It is just so cheap and poorly assembled. The cooling fan for example - it looks like TM deliberately went out with the intention of sourcing the worst $1 piece of crap they could find.

What is very annoying about TM is despite reliability issues they seem to have made no revisions to the original design and just keep chucking out the same thing.

Mine is thankfully still working after about 15 months - I did have to replace the cooling fan though.

Last edited:
I agree. I am a bit scared of TM wheels. As I said before, I like their HOTAS a lot. They just seem to fit my hands well and are intuitive.

I am glad your wheel is working, but I just didnt want to tempt fate. No hate for Thrustmaster as a company at all from me either.

Back