Question for members using a Driving Force GT

  • Thread starter Thread starter OzZy401
  • 24 comments
  • 2,386 views
Messages
19
Messages
OzZy401
Hey everyone!

Im fairly new to GT and the graphics as well as the reality of the game just blew me away. A buddy of mine recommended me picking up a nice wheel so I picked up the DFGT. I love the wheel and it fits pretty well with my room. I just had a few questions about the steering itself. Sorry if they are stupid :(.

I noticed when you turn, the wheel kind of takes control on its own. Is there a way to completely stop the wheel from moving on its own?

Like..example...I made it around a turn nice and clean..when I went onto a straight away, the wheel just started jerking back and forth..i want to get rid of that completely and just handle it on my own. If wheels are SUPPOSED to do this and this is usually what everyone plays with, then just let me know. Im VERY new to racing wheels so maybe I just need to get used to it?

Thanks everyone!
 
Go into driving aids, and turn off some off, well....some of the driving aids. I had to turn down the Force Feedback as my shoulders and wrists were getting too much of a workout.

Sorry, not in front of the game at the moment so a step by step is not feasible.

Hope that helps, even if it's just a little. :)
 
Thanks for the fast response! Im not sure exactly which screen you are talking about but I joined a single race to just mess around in. Under my "Driving options" heres what it reads.

Sports hard Sports hard

Driving line: ON
Traction: 1
Skid Recovery Force: off
Active Steering: off
Active stability management: off
abs: 1

Am I on the wrong screen? Lol
 
i think you are refering to the force feedback, and you can adjust the strength of it in the options. however, i suggest you get used to it and just hold the wheel tight. after a while you learn the feedback part of it, and what the game i.e. your car is trying to tell you through it :)
 
Thanks for the fast response! Im not sure exactly which screen you are talking about but I joined a single race to just mess around in. Under my "Driving options" heres what it reads.

Sports hard Sports hard

Driving line: ON
Traction: 1
Skid Recovery Force: off
Active Steering: off
Active stability management: off
abs: 1

Am I on the wrong screen? Lol

Active Steering is what I was thinking of. I had to turn that off. And yes, zuqbu is correct, the Force Feedback portion, which can be found in your options, wheel settings, can be adjusted. I think I set my feedback down to 2/10. Not sure how it is with your wheel, but I found that on the G25 wheel, at 2, it still gives me plenty of feedback and real life feel without the wrist pain. At the default setting of 5, I had the wheel ripping out of my hands. :lol:

I would suggest not turning it off, as that is a feature that can really add to the experience. As far as the straight line wobbles, some cars are more stable than others, some tracks are smooth than others. I don't think there is anything wrong with your wheel. :)



Hope that helps.
 
Yeah that crazy uncontrollable stuff is actually a little bit of realism ;)
 
Thanks to you both. I put it down to 1 to just get a little used to it. I will def. be putting it up. I was just concerned about the wobbling on straight aways; not necessarily because I think my wheel is broken, but because I tend to want to stretch on straight aways..and if I remove my hands from the wheel I lose like 4 spots :). But I def. noticed the difference when I put it on 1 (I had it on 5 before). I need to find a higher table to place my wheel on. The table im using is a little low and its hard to keep both hands on the wheel without exhausting my arms. Either way, game is SICK!

Any explanation as to why it goes NUTS when I crash (which I tend to do quite frequently haha). Just curious :)
 
Any explanation as to why it goes NUTS when I crash (which I tend to do quite frequently haha). Just curious :)

Well, if the wheels on the car are going nuts when you crash, the steering wheel will also go nuts when you crash. :)
 
Very valid point :). The more I play it, the more im getting used to it. This game is truly a gem. Its hard, but thats what makes it so much fun. Always room for improvement
 
it still gives me plenty of feedback and real life feel without the wrist pain. At the default setting of 5, I had the wheel ripping out of my hands. :lol:

Wow, I didn't know those motors in the wheels were that strong! I thought it'd be just a little tug. I'm really wanting on now! (I'm going for the $130 one, cuz that's expensive enough, lol)
 
I just bought the same wheel 2 days ago, here are some settings/things I noticed.

1. Change the settings in the main options menu. Change the wheel to 'professional'. I found I drove a lot better than the default setting. I have not tried the 'real' setting yet.

2. I have my force feedback setting to 7. I found this more realistic than 5. I know it sounds weird, but try it.

3. The red dial on the wheel is cool. During a race push the button inside the dial, then turn the red dial to adjust different settings. Use the + - button on the left to scroll through different settings. Great on the fly adjustment.

4. After about 15 hours using the wheel I love it. No complaints. Money well spent. And it will work with my other 6 driving games.
 
Wow, I didn't know those motors in the wheels were that strong! I thought it'd be just a little tug. I'm really wanting on now! (I'm going for the $130 one, cuz that's expensive enough, lol)

There is a guy on ebay selling Used DFGT for just over $60, not bad for a starter wheel.👍
 
DB. The professional/simulation options are not for the dfgt.. for other logitech wheels, look at the difference when you go from that option to ff, ours is highlighted under ff while the 25/27 is highlighted for the simulation/pro thing... must of been in your head or you changed your ff at the same ttime
 
There is a guy on ebay selling Used DFGT for just over $60, not bad for a starter wheel.👍

That's seriously annoying. On eBay UK they're all around £130 ($203) which is even higher than Amazon are selling it new (£70/$109).
 
GT5 is much easier for me than GT5P I always spun out in GT5P it's fine in GT5 though!

Set Force Feedback to: 7

Must realistic driving setting ^
 
DB. The professional/simulation options are not for the dfgt.. for other logitech wheels, look at the difference when you go from that option to ff, ours is highlighted under ff while the 25/27 is highlighted for the simulation/pro thing... must of been in your head or you changed your ff at the same ttime

I have a driving force pro and was able to change the FF to simulation mode.
 
You can change it, but it won't do anything. If you look at the picture of the different wheels on top, you see that the DFP or DFGT is greyed out when you change it. No effect whatsoever.

I've tried to see if there is a difference between Amateur and Simulation (which should be obvious). There really isn't, if you have a DFGT at least. Probably the same for DFP.
 
Is the force feedback option not just the strenght of it? Or does it mean more than that, otherwise it would depend on the wheel..
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The more I play this, the more I start to really love this game. They did A good job. I changed it to 7 for a few races and I have to agree; it feels VERY realistic. A little too hard for me at this point, but maybe sometime near christmas ill get up there. Every day or so Im putting the FF up by one. :)
 
DB
3. The red dial on the wheel is cool. During a race push the button inside the dial, then turn the red dial to adjust different settings. Use the + - button on the left to scroll through different settings. Great on the fly adjustment.
Is there something that has to be turned on for this? My button and red dial has never done anything. Maybe it doesn't work in all races? Is it active during races or before they start? I have it set right (I think) in the options for the wheel but it doesn't do anything when I press the button...
 
Is there something that has to be turned on for this? My button and red dial has never done anything. Maybe it doesn't work in all races? Is it active during races or before they start? I have it set right (I think) in the options for the wheel but it doesn't do anything when I press the button...

It only works once the actual race starts. I never had to make any adjustments to the settings to get mine to work.
 
I currently have mine set at Simulation Active Steering Off. Power Steering Off, ASM Off FF at default though I think I will move it on up to 10 on this wheel as I have gotten used to the PWTS and this DFGT feels a bit limp by comparrision.

The wheel should move on it's own a bit though. This is what the Force Feedback is for. It is supposed to feel more like the real thing and the real thing will get hard to turn, easy to turn and even try to turn on it's own and well as try to return to center all under certian conditions. This is the way it should work. If it is overpowering then turn the FF down a bit. the default is 5 which is pretty relaxed in all but the F1 and go carts.
 
Back