• Thread starter Michelin
  • 10 comments

Michelin

What ties you to this world?
Premium
Brazil
São Paulo
GTP_Michelin
Good afternoon everybody. I'm here with a quick question that I need some experts help before I buy something and regret later.

I currently have a Kennex PC bought in 2005, that came with the following specs:
  • PC Chips P53G motherboard;
  • 2GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM;
  • Onboard VIA graphics card;
  • Intel Celeron 1.8Ghz.
In 2015 I made a cheap upgrade to:
  • Intel Dual Core 1.6Ghz;
  • Nvidia GeForce 7300GT 256MB;
  • 4GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM.
I'm in the need of another upgrade. My issues are:

I don't want to get a new motherboard because that would mean I have to get everything new;
I only want to upgrade the processor and the graphics card since the memory is already at the maximum supported for the P53G.

My friend recommended me upgrading the processor to the maximum one the P53G handles (Intel Core2Quad Q6700 2.66Ghz) and the graphics card to a Gygabyte Radeon RX550 2GB...

Considering my specs (and the possibilty of throwing my PC out of the ninth floor where I live is not available :lol:) what's possible doing to it? Is my friends recommendation good enough to follow through?

Why do you need to upgrade it?

Does it have all storage on SSD? Is it SATA2 storage connection or better?

Throwing $300+ at a 12 year old PC sound pointless to me. You'd be better off doing nothing right now and saving up for a new rig.

Why do you need to upgrade it?

Does it have all storage on SSD? Is it SATA2 storage connection or better?

Wanted to play some newer games and older games with better graphics, and be able to use AutoCAD and Solid Edge without almost killing the PC.

I didn't understand the second question.. (SATA2? SSD? what?!)

TB
Throwing $300+ at a 12 year old PC sound pointless to me. You'd be better off doing nothing right now and saving up for a new rig.

Hm, I see... I found a PC with a i7 7700k, 8GB DDR4, GTX 1050 TI for about $1.568,69 (around R$5000)...

TB

^This.

Hm, I see... I found a PC with a i7 7700k, 8GB DDR4, GTX 1050 TI for about $1.568,69 (around R$5000)...

Do you have a link to the PC in question? ~$1600 seems a little steep to me. You can build a better rig for that price.

This PC is at the end of its life, there is no upgrade you can do that would get it to where you want it that wouldn't be basically building a whole new PC.

This PC is at the end of its life, there is no upgrade you can do that would get it to where you want it that wouldn't be basically building a whole new PC.

This.

Throw it in the bin.

If it has a decent case, maybe get something like these to put in it.

Throw it in the bin.

You can always find a use for an old PC.

My old gaming PC was the following.
i5 3570K
8GB RAM
GTX680.

The mainboard died so I bought a used one, removed the GPU since it is overkill for the new task and made my old PC a HTPC.
It is also used by my newphews for playing minecraft which is easy enough with onboard RAM.

You can always find a use for an old PC.

Not that old. A £30 raspberry pi has more power than that thing. I’m all for recycling old machines, I do it all the time. But the machine above with those specs, I wouldn’t even use as a doorstop.

It’s from 2005 for crying out loud!

Not that old. A £30 raspberry pi has more power than that thing. I’m all for recycling old machines, I do it all the time. But the machine above with those specs, I wouldn’t even use as a doorstop.

It’s from 2005 for crying out loud!

Or give it to granma so she can learn how to use a computer who may just use it for facebook.

Back