Question on some of the GT-Rs...

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 13 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
-Why is the GT-R (R35) Premium Edition left-hand drive? Is it American-spec?

-Other than the R34 V-Spec II Nür, are there any other Skyline GT-R variants IRL that had Millenium Jade as a color option?

It’s also the first of the Rxx line to be sold in US markets, so maybe PD deicided to put in the US-spec car, knowing they’d eventually bring back the older models in their JDM-spec forms.

Sounds good. But what about the other question I had, regarding the Millennium Jade color option?

It’s also the first of the Rxx line to be sold in US markets, so maybe PD deicided to put in the US-spec car, knowing they’d eventually bring back the older models in their JDM-spec forms.
This seems the most likely option.
Sounds good. But what about the other question I had, regarding the Millennium Jade color option?
Well the name says it all really, Millennium Jade. Only GT-R to come out in 2000 was the R34; the R33 had been discontinued just 14 months prior.

In regards to Millennium Jade. This was an exclusive colour for the '02 R34 V-spec II Nür in the same was that Silica Breath was exclusive to the luxury focused '01 M-spec. Unlike the latter which was brought back for the 45th Anniversary R35 GT-R Millennium Jade does not feature on any other Skyline or GT-R model.

For the LHD R35 I have my own theories...

In recent releases, Gran Turismo has tended to opt for US or European variants of certain models. Perhaps it's an effort to appeal to a larger global market since most countries drive on the wrong side of the car maybe they think people will feel more at home if the cars in games are left-handed too.

I've also wondered if the LHD choice was made with GT Sport's race car variants in mind too. As most modern racers are built LHD (supposedly it's better for seeing the apex*) it would make more sense to model the RHD road car to make converting to track spec easier.

- - - - -

* [Off on a slight tangent] Whenever I've seen the subject brought up on TV coverage that's the excuse the drivers tend to use. I'm not sure I believe it TBH as surely that's only an improvement for right hand bends. In the old days when race cars were more production-based, being L/RHD was determined by either the country the car was built (Since most cars are just converted road cars you go with what's available) or where people had the luxury of manufacturer backing, what the car was originally designed to be. In the 90's BTCC for example, the BMW 318i's were built LHD as it meant all the components were in their optimal spot, whereas the rest of the field were built RHD as that’s what the base cars (mainly Japanese and British-built European) were designed to be.

Most road cars are designed as L/RHD then converted for certain markets. 99% of JDM cars are designed to be RHD therefore all the components (engine/gearbox placement, brake master cylinder, even handbrake position etc) are positioned in optimal places. For foreign markets things are swapped over or where this isn't possible funky linkages are required making the setup less than ideal (see the Peugeot 206's brake pedal arrangement in RHD cars that places a linkage going from one side to the other behind the dash).

Sometimes these can be big optimal factors such as 90's Honda Civics that have the engine on the right hand side of the bay, resulting in the weight offsetting that of the driver leading to better balance. In LHD applications the driver is sat on the same side as the engine meaning the weight isn't as evenly distributed. Common complaints in the aftermarket scene is that LHD Civics suspension tends to sag on the driver's side as a result.

In most VAG and BMW cars that I've been in, the foot well on RHD is cramped with the pedals all bunched up. As it's designed to be a primarily LHD car parts of gearbox are positioned to right-hand side resulting in the tunnel encroaching into the left side. The Volvo V40 was slated in reviews for not having a clutch rest (dead pedal) as there was no space due to the floor pan being so heavily LHD biased. By comparison most JDM cars have a bigger right-hand foot well as the gearboxes have all their 'sticky outy' bits to the left side.

Thanks, I've only ever seen Millennium Jade in the flesh on this car when it showed up at TOTB at Elvington back in the day. Had a poster of it on my bedroom wall for a few years.

P1010966.jpg

Whilst it's a nice colour, I still think Bayside Blue or Black Pearl (when its clean) suit the car better.

I prefer Midnight Purple 2 :bowdown:
I've only ever seen MP on the BCNR33 so can't comment on the R34 versions.

If I ever own another Skyline the colours I'd have would be as follows:

BNR32 - Gun Metallic or Black
BCNR33 - Sonic Silver (seems to bring the lines out better), or Midnight Purple
BNR34 - Bayside Blue or Black Pearl (But unlike mt ER34 I'd find one that hadn't been touched up with a black rattle can or was covered in water spot etches!)

I still regret not getting an ER34 in Lightning Yellow as I've seen a few over the years and they really stand out nicely. And had a Sunlight Yellow EK9 been available at the time I bought mine I'd have gone with it in a heartbeat!

If I was to every blow $250k of our money in Skylines...

R32 in wine red, I generally hate this colour but its great looking in real life. I beleive this car was not available as a V-Spec in this colour but no biggie.

R33 would be a V-Spec in any purple.

R34 would be a white V-Spec with the black 00/01 trim. I love that metal effect dash.

Its probably doable on a 1/4 mil. - which is about the same price as a brand new base spec 991 Porsche Touring here.

Back