Question.

• Thread starter Bob4our
  • 16 comments
does lsd limit wheels from turning at different speeds?

Only if you lock it, which you should ;)

5 60 60 or 60 60 60 is locked. (5 initial torque.)

Quoting TwinTurboCH:

"'Acceleration' setting determines how much the LSD locks under acceleration, 'deceleration' setting determines how much the LSD works when under deceleration, fairly simple.

In RWD drift car, you want LSD effect under accel and decel, hence it's called a 2-way diff, because it provides LSD effect i both directions, accel and decel. Equivalent setting in GT5: Initial 10, Accel 60, Decel 60

Some race RWD's use what is called a 1.5-way, which provides full LSD effect under acceleration, but only 50% of that LSD effect under breaking, which helps stop the back end breaking away on the way into corners in tail-happy cars. Equivalent setting in GT5: Initial 10, Accel 60, Decel 30

FWD's use what is called a 1-way diff which only works under acceleration, meaning that turn-in is not affected in any way. Equivalent setting in GT5: Initial 10, Accel 60, Decel 5."

Gonales

Quoting TwinTurboCH:

"'Acceleration' setting determines how much the LSD locks under acceleration, 'deceleration' setting determines how much the LSD works when under deceleration, fairly simple.

In RWD drift car, you want LSD effect under accel and decel, hence it's called a 2-way diff, because it provides LSD effect i both directions, accel and decel. Equivalent setting in GT5: Initial 10, Accel 60, Decel 60

Some race RWD's use what is called a 1.5-way, which provides full LSD effect under acceleration, but only 50% of that LSD effect under breaking, which helps stop the back end breaking away on the way into corners in tail-happy cars. Equivalent setting in GT5: Initial 10, Accel 60, Decel 30

FWD's use what is called a 1-way diff which only works under acceleration, meaning that turn-in is not affected in any way. Equivalent setting in GT5: Initial 10, Accel 60, Decel 5."

Hahahaha you beat me to it again Dom :)

And she is correct. This is good advice

You also need to take into account resistances on each wheel. During a drift, the LSD may determine the amount of power sent to each wheel and prevent, within the LSD, output shafts from spinning opposite directions. But the LSD does not under any circumstances mean both wheels will be spinning at the same time, or even with the same difference, constantly. With sufficient grip and weight, the difference of resistance on the outside wheel and inside wheel changes dramatically depending where in the corner you are, however, the LSD settings do not change depending on which corner you are in. Especially if you 'lock' it.

This is less noticeable in low-grip applications where resistance is low, such as drifting, or in high powered cars that can exceed resistance on the wheels easily. But it is not the most efficient way to drift, for either angle or speed.

The power will be distributed in a 'locked' differential evenly, but the outside wheel may spin more than the inside wheel because, despite the 50/50 split of power and same rotation within the LSD, between the LSD and the tire part of the tire's grip resists the rotation. When extreme power is not applied or cornering is not happening at the limits of the tire's grip, nothing is overcoming that resistance. Thus, the wheels spin at different speeds, despite a 'locked' differential. However, this also means that some of the tire's grip is being used to counteract the forces that the differential is putting on it, but not accelerating nor cornering. Result is less efficient drifting at some points of the drift, particularly entry and exit.

The ideal differential settings are moderate, and allow you to adjust the difference of spin between the wheels in mid-corner, ranging from as if a single axle to as low as an open LSD would have, based on a number of inputs you can make.

Quoting TwinTurboCH:

some may say different

It does limit the wheels from turning different speeds which means greater control. IRL Drifters on low budgets weld diffs which is a fully locked diff but when more power is applied and more money is in the budget and adjustable LSD is preferred. Some stick with the feel of 5 60 60 and some don't. It doesn't matter how you set your LSD as long as you're drifting and it feels comfortable for you. Don't let anyone tell you you're setting it wrong.

The most important thing is to know how it works.

Last edited:
Locking is a setting of 60. It makes it easier to drift, but it's not the best settings, that's what I made a point of.

some may say different

It does limit the wheels from turning different speeds which means greater control. IRL Drifters on low budgets weld diffs which is a fully locked diff but when more power is applied and more money is in the budget and adjustable LSD is preferred. Some stick with the feel of 5 60 60 and some don't. It doesn't matter how you set your LSD as long as you're drifting and it feels comfortable for you. Don't let anyone tell you you're setting it wrong.

The most important thing is to know how it works.

These 2 messages are the reason why I don't like tandeming with a lot of people on GT5.

When you lock your diff, your car will respond in the same manner, every single corner. If you don't lock it, the car won't.

The only reason not to lock is to have more forward grip, which only means more speed. Which is basically useless outside of competitions, and even then it's negligible.

These 2 messages are the reason why I don't like tandeming with a lot of people on GT5.

When you lock your diff, your car will respond in the same manner, every single corner. If you don't lock it, the car won't.

The only reason not to lock is to have more forward grip, which only means more speed. Which is basically useless outside of competitions, and even then it's negligible.

doesn't mean it's not right... If you know good throttle control the car will do exactly what it should no matter what setting you choose. You prefer it a certain way that's all you really need to say, but you always finish your sentence with something to the degree of "that's how it should be".

Drift_Monkey
doesn't mean it's not right... If you know good throttle control the car will do exactly what it should no matter what setting you choose. You prefer it a certain way that's all you really need to say, but you always finish your sentence with something to the degree of "that's how it should be".

I agree with you to a point. Car control is key more than the tune. I have always said that a tune doesn't make a driver good it is how the driver controls his car. And no I didn't get that from Fast and the Furious

does lsd limit wheels from turning at different speeds?

Yes, Locked Diffs, Open Diffs and 2 way Diffs.

Locked - 60/60/60
Open - Default
2 Way - 5/60/60

I'm guessing you already know what a locked, open and 2 way diffs is.

accel the lower the setting the more wheels turn different speeds decel the lower the setting the more wheels turn different speeds when decel.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back