Questions about black colors

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bounkazz
  • 15 comments
  • 1,557 views
Messages
830
Afghanistan
Afghanistan
1) Are all "Black"'s the same? Cause I have tons of black's with the name "Black". When I sort colors on hue, they are nowhere near each other, but look the same... Black = black. Right?

2) What black would make my Supra RZ proper black? The "Black" that comes with it, is gray-ish... Not black.

3) Is there any way to get the premium Viper GTS black with white stripes without losing the stripes? When I attempt to respray it black I lose the white stripes. And when I want to re-buy it new, it only comes in graphite with white stripes...
 
Last edited:
1) Are all "Black"'s the same? Cause I have tons of black's with the name "Black". When I sort colors on hue, they are nowhere near each other, but look the same... Black = black. Right?

Simply put, no. The reason you multiple "Black" paints is that some car makers have their own version of "Black" paint. One Black paint from a car maker may be just a wee bit brighter than a Black from another car maker, or one black may be a bit more shiny or glossy than another Black from another car maker.

But sometimes, colors that come from the same manufacturer don't stack up, for example Subaru's famous "WR Blue Mica" paint. Even though Subaru is the only source of WR Blue Mica, not all the WR Blue Mica paint chips stack up altogether, mainly because of the Standard/Premium case of the cars in GT5. Premium Impreza's have slightly brighter and shinier WR Blue Mica paint than standard Impreza's.

2) What black would make my Supra RZ proper black? The "Black" that comes with it, is gray-ish... Not black.

Try "NERO TENEBRE", a paint from Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary. Or "Brilliant Black" from Mazda.

3) Is there any way to get the premium Viper GTS black with white stripes without losing the stripes? When I attempt to respray it black I lose the white stripes. And when I want to re-buy it new, it only comes in graphite with white stripes...

No, you can't. Though it would be nice if the stripes don't disapper when you respray them. Only a handful of cars retain their stripes when they're re-painted, like the BMW Concept 1 Series tii '07.
 
No, you can't. Though it would be nice if the stripes don't disapper when you respray them. Only a handful of cars retain their stripes when they're re-painted, like the BMW Concept 1 Series tii '07.

Some also regain their stripes if the car has stripe paint options but got bought without stripes like the '10 SS Camaro.. Keeps/gains its stripes when painted..

Also "Nero" (Maserati I think) is also a really good black IIRC...
 
Are all "Black"'s the same? Cause I have tons of black's with the name "Black". When I sort colors on hue, they are nowhere near each other, but look the same... Black = black. Right?

Key word here is name, all black colours labelled simply 'black' is due to it being given that name by its manufacturer, that doesn't mean they're the same shade of black.
There are all sorts of differences, some rather obvious (like a more greyish tone, or metallic/non-metallic/pearl/etc.) other much more subtle.
I find the Ultimate Black chip from the Jaguar XKR suits a lot of cars, it's a perfect dark black yet it still highlights the car's shape, there are others like it but saying black=black is something you don't believe yourself now do you? ;)
 
Some also regain their stripes if the car has stripe paint options but got bought without stripes like the '10 SS Camaro.. Keeps/gains its stripes when painted..

Also "Nero" (Maserati I think) is also a really good black IIRC...

Really? But then, which stripes will you get? The Camaro SS '10 has two kinds of stripes, Racing Stripes and Hood & Hockey Stripes.
 
Really? But then, which stripes will you get? The Camaro SS '10 has two kinds of stripes, Racing Stripes and Hood & Hockey Stripes.

The racing stripe and if it has the hockey stripes, and you repaint it, they get replaced with the racing stripes 👎
 
Simply put, no. The reason you multiple "Black" paints is that some car makers have their own version of "Black" paint. One Black paint from a car maker may be just a wee bit brighter than a Black from another car maker, or one black may be a bit more shiny or glossy than another Black from another car maker.

But sometimes, colors that come from the same manufacturer don't stack up, for example Subaru's famous "WR Blue Mica" paint. Even though Subaru is the only source of WR Blue Mica, not all the WR Blue Mica paint chips stack up altogether, mainly because of the Standard/Premium case of the cars in GT5. Premium Impreza's have slightly brighter and shinier WR Blue Mica paint than standard Impreza's.



Try "NERO TENEBRE", a paint from Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary. Or "Brilliant Black" from Mazda.



No, you can't. Though it would be nice if the stripes don't disapper when you respray them. Only a handful of cars retain their stripes when they're re-painted, like the BMW Concept 1 Series tii '07.

Thanks for you input (and everyone elses). 1 problem though, I just tried a bunch of "Black"'ss on my Supra RZ, and they all had the same outcome... That pale black gray-ish look... I starting to think it's the low quality of the car that's not co-operating?
 
Paging Mr. s0ul_chicken... Paging Mr. s0ul_chicken... The master of black paint.
 
BJBEOSmitty
Paging Mr. s0ul_chicken... Paging Mr. s0ul_chicken... The master of black paint.

Yes, If there is anyone who can answer this question it's him... Mr. Black
 
Awesome. I'll send him a link to this thread. :p

Edit: Black Paint God has been PM'd. :D
 
PM received! And thanks for the inquiry. If I were to start with any black, Super Black (Nissan) would be a most excellent start. Mark II Black and Mark II Black Clearcoat (Ford) should also do the trick as well. Let me know if you need any, as I don't trade in paint and would be happy to help.

:gtpflag:
 
Well, how did it go? I never heard back from you sir....
 
Personal favourite "deep" black is Crystal Galaxit Black from the Mercedes SLS. A little expensive unless you're trading for it.
The only Viper which keeps its stripes when you paint it is the GTSR Concept version, all the rest get "solid" painted.

(EDIT: There are loads of cars that keep stripes, logos etc (besides RM's) when you paint them, including the Camaro LM, which retains everything when you paint it. Massive list including photos in this thread)
 
Generally speaking, black colours look the same on rims. Not on cars, though.
 
Also, Am I the only one to find that whenever I use a paint chip that I liked from another car, it NEVER looks the same on the new car I'm applying it on? It's like very pale and never looks as good as the car it came from... (Not only black chips)
 
Some cars filter a paint chip -

If you paint a Corvette Grand Sport (Blue with white stripe) you will get a darker stain where the blue used to be...

This stands out as the white stripe is pretty white.

I guess other cars may have a filter aplied to the body colour that may make the same paint chip - discolour - on different cars.

have fun, and paint the car, wax the fence.
 
Back