Questions about downloadable GT6 from Playstation Store

I hope this is the correct place to ask this, but since I have decided not to fix my PS3 and it's dual-layer disc reading issues with GT6, as I am going to eventually get a PS4 instead, I have decided to download the electronic version of GT6 from the Playstation store.

I received a $20.00 PS card as a birthday present and since the electronic version of GT6 is down to $14.99, I figured this was a great opportunity to get back out on the track. I have a few questions for anybody in the know and any information would be greatly appreciated:

1. Since I already have GT6 installed on my PS3 from the disc, do I have to uninstall it first?

2. Will all of my downloaded patches apply to the electronic version or will I have to re-download them?

3. Is there anything special that I need to do to ensure a smooth transition from the disc version to the downloaded version?

I have tried to find information, but was having trouble finding answers to my specific questions. Any thoughts and experiences are welcome. Thanks!

1. Probably, but I'm not sure so you can always try not to uninstall it and see if it works.

2. I suspect that the patches are wiped from the drive after they've been installed in the game, so provided that you need to uninstall your old game and install the new, you will probably need to download and install the patches.

3. Make a backup of your savefile before you begin.

OK, thanks for the information. I'll certainly backup my save file to a USB stick. I'm going to download it this weekend, so I'll keep checking back, in case someone who has actually done this before, stops by.

To close the door on this thread, in case anyone else decides they want to use the downloadable full game of GT6, I successfully installed the game yesterday. Here are the steps and a few points, as the full download, installation and then installation of all of the updates took a solid 6+ hours:

1. Backed up GT6 Save file to USB stick. (This was actually not necessary, as the new installation found and used my current save file, but it's always a good practice, just in case something goes wrong, even though GT6 also makes a backup these days.)

2. Purchased downloadable version from store. (Had to clear space on my PS3 using the Game Data Utility to delete old, unused games and also deleted old pictures, unneeded save files, etc., after backing them up to my USB memory stick. This included deleting my current installation of GT6, which was a whopping 19GB).

3. Downloaded game. (15GB)

4. Installed game. (15GB)

5. Started game and was prompted to update. (20 total updates that took over 3 hours to install)

6. After updates, started game and went to my garage to see if everything was intact. (The only immediate difference was that my DLC was locked).

7. Went to the Download Manager and just re-downloaded the Anniversary cars pack and everything was fine.

As I stated earlier, the whole process took about 6+ hours with direct internet connection to cable modem. I can't imagine how long it would be over my wireless router. The bulk of the time was the installation of the game and updates, which showed "5 mins left..." on the progress screen, for about 3 hours, lol.

However, the game is running smooth and no issues so far. During the installation, a thunder storm rolled through town and I was praying to the GT6 gods not to lose power during the installation. Thankfully, they listened. ;)

@GoSpeedRacer:

You mean that you buy the Digital Standard Edition of the GT6, and after the new installation, you can restore the Aniversary cars and other items of the previous blu-ray version of GT6 (Aniversary Edition) via Download Manager?

I have the same problem with my blu-ray disc of GT6 Aniversary Edition, and i'm thinking to buy the Digital version of the game in the PlayStore. So if it works, it's less expensive to buy the Digital Standard Edition than the Aniversary Edition of GT6.

Apreciate your post that help me a lot.

Thank you in advance for any confirmation reply.

Cheers! ;)

@GoSpeedRacer:

You mean that you buy the Digital Standard Edition of the GT6, and after the new installation, you can restore the Aniversary cars and other items of the previous blu-ray version of GT6 (Aniversary Edition) via Download Manager?

I have the same problem with my blu-ray disc of GT6 Aniversary Edition, and i'm thinking to buy the Digital version of the game in the PlayStore. So if it works, it's less expensive to buy the Digital Standard Edition than the Aniversary Edition of GT6.

Apreciate your post that help me a lot.

Thank you in advance for any confirmation reply.

Cheers! ;)
I had the blue-ray disc of GT6 Anniversary Edition because it did no work anymore, I ended up buying the downloaded digital standard edition, and yes you can restore the Anniversary cars and other items.

I had the blue-ray disc of GT6 Anniversary Edition because it did no work anymore, I ended up buying the downloaded digital standard edition, and yes you can restore the Anniversary cars and other items.

Thank you very much for your reply fordlaser!

That was my doubt, because i don't wanna lose those items of the Aniversary Edition. But, if we can save money buying the Standard Edition, even better.

After buying, i gonna follow the steps as GoSpeedRacer have explained, and i hope that all works fine.

That's a long process, but it's the only way to race again on GT6...properly.

Again: Thank you for your help. ;)

Yes, as fordlaser stated, you just go to Play Store and re-download the Anniversary cars. Good luck with your install!

Hi!

I already have installed the Digital version of GT6 standard edition, and after the updates, all works great (included the Anniversary items).

Thank you very much for your help, GoSpeedRacer! ;)

Cheers!

Back