Questions and innuendos about Moderators

• Thread starter kikie
  • 3,805 comments
what is the normal sequence of events that happen when a post ir reported? Also, are reported posts anonymous, or do you always see who has reported which post?
You, or someone else clicks report, and you type in why, and send it.

An email is then despatched to all mods, and admins.

The email contains the following:

• Who reported it
  • Their email address
  • The thread title (and link to the thread)
  • A link to the reported post
  • The comment you gave us as to why you reported it

We then respond as appropriate.

Quite a lot of reports are just replies and it turns out that the user has just pressed the wrong button.

You can't tell the difference between the report text box and the advanced reply text box? And the fact that your quote isn't in there? You'd have to hit two buttons to accidentally report a post.

what is the normal sequence of events that happen when a post ir reported? Also, are reported posts anonymous, or do you always see who has reported which post?

We get an e-mail with a link to the reported post, who reported it, and their reason for the report.

so one reported post goes to all mods and admins?

Isn't that a waste of internet resources? ... or something? ;)

so one reported post goes to all mods and admins?

Isn't that a waste of internet resources? ... or something? ;)
Notifying all of the staff members at once is the best way to ensure that any serious issues are dealt with as quickly as possible. There's not an unreasonable amount of reported posts, and I can assure you no "internet resources" are being wasted. GTPlanet already sends out more than a thousand emails every day - reported posts are barely a drop in the bucket.

When Sage is not moderating he spends 99% of his time creating lighting effects for any graphics he plans to use for anything ever.

did you see his secret "number of insults : chance of banning" ratio chart?

I found it entertaining.

It looks like a cliff.

Or a Mesa, I guess a mesa is more accurate.

1: 100% 100: give up and ignore him.

he also includes n00bs that ask "w0w c4n 1y h42 m0d n355?"

and people who can understand that. :dopey:

he also put Kittens on it!!!

Notifying all of the staff members at once is the best way to ensure that any serious issues are dealt with as quickly as possible. There's not an unreasonable amount of reported posts, and I can assure you no "internet resources" are being wasted. GTPlanet already sends out more than a thousand emails every day - reported posts are barely a drop in the bucket.

The majority of those would be PM notification and verification for registration e-mails?

if so then it would be better to get rid the pm notification since it pops up whenever you log in and if you don't log in you really don't want ot be bothered.

if so then it would be better to get rid the pm notification since it pops up whenever you log in and if you don't log in you really don't want ot be bothered.
That is an option you can turn off in your profile.

Would the moderators ever consider arranging a meeting between you all?

We have them every few months.

Our last one was in Iceland, but we just let Famine post about that as if it was a family holiday, but we were all hiding just out of shot.

Hey, I have a question for you guys... :)

• What does it take to become a moderator?
    Not necessarily be a contributive member and helping out a lot here (and visit here often too) but any other factors as well?
  • How long and what does it take to rank up your status?
    For example:
    Moderator ----> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator ----> Administrator
    Moderator ----> Administrator (if thats even possible)
  • Are there a limit to how many mods/admins here in this forum?

Hey, I have a question for you guys... :)

• What does it take to become a moderator?
    Not necessarily be a contributive member and helping out a lot here (and visit here often too) but any other factors as well?
There are not really many other factors. High-quality members come to Jordan's attention. He decides who best shares his vision of the site, and who he expects will behave professionally. He contacts that person privately and offers a position. It's really as simple as that. It's not necessarily a matter of length of time here, though being a long-term member makes you more likely to be committed to the quality of the site, and therefore a good candidate.

A few years ago there was a small effort to hire a few supermoderators from other than North America, in order to improve our coverage at certain times of the day, but that's it.
  • How long and what does it take to rank up your status?
    For example:
    Moderator ----> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator ----> Administrator
    Moderator ----> Administrator (if thats even possible)
Again, there is no set time limit. It decided on a case-by-case basis. When I first started, and the forums were smaller, most boards had one or two moderators in charge, and their powers only worked on those boards. As the site and membership grew, that wasn't practical anymore and most mods were promoted to supermods so they could cover all boards on the forum.

These days plain "moderator" status is reserved for those who help out only in a specific area, such as Sphinx and the others who run the WRS. They have powers in the OLR forum to help them do their jobs, but not everywhere.

I was a member for about 10 months before I was invited to become a moderator. Shortly after that is when most of the moderators became supermods as I mentioned above. I was on the staff as a mod/supermod for exactly 2 years before Der Alta and I were promoted to administrators, becuase Jordan's only other Admin (Alt_F8) was no longer active on the site.
Are there a limit to how many mods/admins here in this forum?
Jordan has always decided what seems an appropriate number, with input from us. As long as the boards seem effectively covered, there is no real need to add staff even if there are more people who would be good moderators available (which is often the case). Sometimes moderators resign and are replaced; sometimes they are not replaced if it seems we have enough staff to cover the boards most of the way around the clock.

If the GT5 experience here is anything like the GT4 time was, it is likely that Jordan will add staff. I don't want to fuel a lot of guessing, though, so don't worry about trying to figure out who it might be. There's no guarantee that he will decide to add anybody.

There is a secret mod forum, yes, if that's what you're on about. What goes on in there, you ask? Nothing really interesting; we talk about members with bad attitude, who has received warnings, who's been banned and why, our plans for world dominat... erm, oops.
:lol: LOL!

* Did any of you mods knew each other before you were a GTP member?

* Did one of you mods invite someone else to become a member and both of you became a mod?

* Did any of you mods know each other before you were a GTP member?

Yes - I knew daan from GT3Times.

* Did one of mods invite someone else to become a member and both of you became a mod?

I essentially joined GTP at daan's behest to get a bigger audience for my Worst Car Wins series. And we were both made mods later.

This is sort of a parody of the Tootsie Pop question.

So Mods, how many closed threads does it take to get banned?

Back