Questions and innuendos about Moderators

• Thread starter kikie
  • 3,805 comments
:lol:

Is there some training for new mods?[/B]
No (and yes...)... I assume moderators are selected on the basis of having a sound knowledge of the workings of GTP already, so no training is required. daan does show people how to swing a baanhammer properly though, and existing mods are able to answer any questions new mods have. Swift was particularly helpful to me when I started, for example.

Can I please have a peek at the special mod forum? Please! :nervous:
Trust me, there's nothing to see of much more interest than exists on the boards in general - except sometimes when an admin hasn't debugged the latest version of Famine's code properly and he goes berserk for a while. Usually Jordan has to fix him before the new version is rolled out into the public forums. Last Wednesday, for example, he was posting in Lilac for a few minutes...

MM
But anyways, since most of you mods/admins has been on this site longer that me, what do you think of the new member situation now? Is it worse or better than before?
Not worse or better, new members will always be new members, and there will always be a steady intake of new people - it's really the attitude of increasingly long-term members (and yes, that includes moderators) that changes, so IMHO, it's not the noobs we should be worried about, but how longer-term members treat them...

Next time you see a picture of Smallhorses or Pupik, they'll have crew cuts. In six months time they'll both have those thousand-post stares.
Pupik? Didn't know that.

@ Pupik, congratulations as well!

:)

When you scroll over the names at the bottom of the main screen (the people who are online at the time), the URL shows up at the bottom left of the window (above the start button on Microsoft systems). At the end of that URL is I believe what member you are (from 1 to 107,000). What I was wondering is why Jordan's is 658, who else was here before him?

When you scroll over the names at the bottom of the main screen (the people who are online at the time), the URL shows up at the bottom left of the window (above the start button on Microsoft systems). At the end of that URL is I believe what member you are (from 1 to 107,000). What I was wondering is why Jordan's is 658, who else was here before him?

Bots, maybe.

Pupik? Didn't know that.

@ Pupik, congratulations as well!

They only gave me a valet key, I can't use the trunk or glove box.

The mod forum looks like any other forum here. No extra bells and whistles, although we do have a Klaxon that may wake us up at 4am to grab a shotgun and shoot at the zombie bots.

I explain the discrepancy (along with the reason the original thread/posts do not have the number 1 as their respective ID's) in this post here from 2002. :)

When Jordan’s account was carried over, it was put at 658 because vB felt like it. Afterwards, when new people registered, the software isn’t going to continue there – it went to the lowest counter, which is 1, and kept moving up the counter from there (of course, skipping 658 and other existing accounts so as not to create duplicates).

This is more directed at Jordan than the moderating team (but all of you guys are more than welcome to answer if you can) and is a bit off-topic but figured I'd ask anyway.

The question being is: Do you own or are admin for any other sites except GTP and if so, what sites??

Mafs!!

When Jordan’s account was carried over, it was put at 658 because vB felt like it. Afterwards, when new people registered, the software isn’t going to continue there – it went to the lowest counter, which is 1, and kept moving up the counter from there (of course, skipping 658 and other existing accounts so as not to create duplicates).

Oh, but then what happened to some of the accounts after #1? I checked #2,3, and so on and most of them were invalid. So what happened there? Did the account get deleted or was it skipped as well? But again, if Jordan is number 658, why didn't he use the other account? But then again, Tom Anderson of Myspace didn't have the #1 profile for Myspace either..... :indiff:

This is more directed at Jordan than the moderating team (but all of you guys are more than welcome to answer if you can) and is a bit off-topic but figured I'd ask anyway.

The question being is: Do you own or are admin for any other sites except GTP and if so, what sites??

Mafs!!

Yes, but I can't directly link to it because much of the front page contains expletives. Quite a great deal of expletives.

I was a mod at GTN in the F1 2002 mods forum. (I don't know if I still am. Haven't checked for a while as it would now be a dead section)

And I do have my own website, although it doesn't have a forum.

I wonder if it is a general rule for mods not to reply to PM's if there help or advice is needed? Even though the question seems to be stupid.

I find that rude and impolite!

Except for Famine ofcourse, he is very helpfull!

I wonder if it is a general rule for mods not to reply to PM's if there help or advice is needed? Even though the question seems to be stupid.

I find that rude and impolite!

Except for Famine ofcourse, he is very helpfull! :)

Sometimes, and I can't speak for the other guys but I know I do it, I'll catch a PM while I'm at work and either have to think about it or don't have the time to respond there and then.

Of course then when I get home I don't have a big, shiny "YOU HAVE A PM!" indicator and by that time have completely forgotten about it.

Sometimes, and I can't speak for the other guys but I know I do it, I'll catch a PM while I'm at work and either have to think about it or don't have the time to respond there and then.

Of course then when I get home I don't have a big, shiny "YOU HAVE A PM!" indicator and by that time have completely forgotten about it.
That is speaking for me too. Not just at work either. I need to reply instantly, or else I'll completely forget.

EDIT: What are we like? GTP Mods - refuge of the permanently bewildered.

I am busy, lazy, and borderline sociopathic. It sets the bar quite high for getting a response to PMs. You need to aim high with your message.

Few of you have managed it yet.

Latest Posts

Back