Questions about racing with aids turned off

Messages
17
Messages
Dragonschild81
I am currently at about 32% completion in game, I have beaten all events in beginner and amateur catagories and all but the Gran Turismo All Stars ( I think that is the name of it) event in the Professional catagory. I have not touched the racing aids at all until this morning while I was reading about some people who turn off all aids while racing. Now I consider myself to be pretty good at racing games but I was having some trouble without the aids, in particular my car was not braking well at all (I was using a 300ZX '89) and it was forcing me to take all turns very very slow to the point where I was even losing position. I went from dominating the race by at least 15 seconds to getting bumped back to 3 place at times. So I guess my question is, how do you race like this and is it not that you are turning off the aids all together but rather tuning them down to a more realistic level? I am really interested in learning how to race either without the aids or with them at a lower (more realistic) level. Otherwise I really feel that this game is not challenging me. I am not saying that I am an incredible racer at all because I have been beaten plenty of times by others, but rather I see these settings as a way to improve my skills as a racer and that is what I want, I have been playing GT since the first title on PS1 and have plenty of experience with most of the tuning (the only exception really is when it comes to gear ratios, I really don't tinker with that too much) but I know there is more to learn and this forum seems like a great place for that!
 
Welcome to the 'Planet, Dragonschild81!

Plenty of us race with no aids on as, opposite to what you mention, it allows us to be faster. For example, the Traction Control kills throttle input if it senses your driven wheels are slipping; it's easy to notice on a rally track, when the car will just sort of bog down despite you having the gas to the floor. It's easier to notice with rear-drivers on tarmac too; a tiny bit of slip from over-powering the rear tires can help rotate the car around a turn faster, for example.

ASM negates understeer and oversteer, which is handy, but also does it by cutting power, whereas a skilled driver has other methods at their disposal.

I find it strange that you would find that much of a negative time difference with aids off, since you don't mention spinning out as a cause for it. Hope this at least helped a bit, though!
 
If your car isn't braking well, you probably turned off the ABS, the only aid that deals with the brakes. Most people keep the ABS at 1, as the wheels lock up insanely easy with it off. If you're determined to have it off though, turning the brake balance down to 4/2 or 3/1 will help with the slidage. :)

As for all the other aids, they only slow you down. The only way they can help you is by cutting power or putting on the brakes, obviously not good in a race! Throttle control will take the place of TCS, and a clean, smooth driving style will get rid of the need for ASM.
 
Sorry it took me so long to get back here, thank you for the reply's first of all. But now I have some more questions for you all. When you turn the driving aids off does this make it necessary to go into the tuning menu and adjust the springs and brakes or is it simply that I need to get even better at driving. I am a little hesitant when it comes to messing with the fine tune adjustments because I don't want to mess everything up
 
Woahhhh thats really weird timing, I just looked through my post history today to find out what happened to this thread. :scared:

Anyway.... You should be messing with the suspension and brake settings already, as you will be much faster with a good tune. It's not necessary without aids, but it helps your laptimes infinitely. And remember, the default settings are just a click away. :)
 
No, it's not necessary - it's up to you how you'd like to drive. The brakes thing that Talon mentioned is a good thing to do if you turn off your ABS.

Tuning suspension changes how your car responds when it corners - the best thing to do would be to take your car to some track, play around with the settings, and see what fits your particularly style of driving. Also, there's a "Reset to Defaults" option in case you "mess everything up".
 
Guess I will have to spend some time doing practice laps and playing with the tuning options.
 
Back