Questions regarding drivetrain conversions

  • Thread starter Thread starter JCE
  • 9 comments
  • 907 views

JCE

Messages
6,769
Germany
Little Elm, TX
Messages
JCE3000GT
I'm in the early stages of planning my custom ride and I've narrowed it down to a couple of cars to start with...but have a few questions regarding drivetrains and engine bays. I am not looking for suggestions on what cars to choose but which on my list would be the easiest to work on and convert.

Cars being considered and what I want to do to them:

1) 1996-1999 Ford Taurus Wagon to convert to RWD and use a Ford 4.6l V8 for the engine.
2) 1989-1993 Nissan 240SX to convert the engine from the 2.4l 4cyl. to a Ford 4.6l V8 or a Chevy LS1 V8.
3) 1995-1999 Nissan Maxima to convert to either; Nissan Twin Turbo 3.0l V6 (300ZX motor swap), or convert to RWD and use thew Nissan 3.5l V6 VQ engine.
4) 2001-2002 Chevy Impala (9C1 Police Interceptor) converted to RWD and use the Chevy LS1 V8.

So, of these 4 which would be easiest to hardest for the project at hand? And how hard would it be to fabricate a drive shaft and etc for the RWD (rear wheel drive) conversions and the motor mounts? So, where should I get started as far as this project? I was thinking about visiting a junkyard and finding each of these vehicles without an engine and measuring the engine bay and seeing which engine would work. I'm fairly certain the 240SX will take the V8s since it's already RWD and you could store some liquid reservoirs, fuse box, ECU, and battery in the trunk. And doing the 300ZX Engine/Twin Turbo swap in the Maxima might be the easiest...but I could be wrong. Any thoughts?
 
All of those would take Quite a bit of cutting up, not to mention the motors you're planning on using would be Quite Expensive. Why not Put a Chevy Smallblock in a Datsun 280Z? Or, even better, a 510 with a Buick 215.

A V8 might fit in a 240SX, but you'd probably have to cut a bit into the fenderwells, fabricate engine/transmission mounts, and cut a driveshaft.. A V8 240 would be kinda cool, too. It'd take lots of work, though. Personally, I'd get an older(and bigger) car from the 60's, and put a better engine in it.(actually, I'm doing that now, putting a 305 into a '60 Biscayne) I would just get a turbo/headers/CAI for the car's current motor, but If that's what you want to do, Go for it. 👍 :)
 
If you could do any of those things, you would know you could, and wouldn't be asking any of us these questions. Ergo, you can't do any of this, and shouldn't bother asking these questions.
Flame off.
 
I think some people would kill you if you put a V8 into a 240SX.
 
I think a 2.0l turbo nissan engine would be a lot easier to do in the 240, with some work you could probably get similar power.

For something like a RWD Taurus you'd have to fit the engine in the bay, you'd probably have to do some modifying to get a driveshaft to fit down the middle of the car, then you'd have to modify all the rear suspension stuff since none of it would be made to accept axles going to the wheels. Making a driveshaft would probably be one of the easier things to do :)
 
I say you do THIS

It would be cheaper, easyer, and its a waaaay better car to do it to. :sly:
 
LS1 240sx has been done. He is on one of the popular 240sx forums somewhere out in the WWW. I can't think of what the site is.
 
Emohawk
If you could do any of those things, you would know you could, and wouldn't be asking any of us these questions. Ergo, you can't do any of this, and shouldn't bother asking these questions.
Flame off.
While I applaud your moxie, I have to agree with this poster and say that I bet you're biting off more than you can chew.

I put a 2.4 litre Stratus engine in my wife's Neon a few years ago. And even though it was from the same manufacturer, almost the same model year, etc. there was still a lot of finagling and fabricating and fu... screwing around to get it working right. Engine swaps are not for the faint of heart and drivetrain conversions even less so. I wouldn't dream of trying one for my first major car project.

You'll need (at minimum) access to and skills with a welder, steel fabrication shop equipment (cutters, bending brakes, etc.) and a garage with a hoist.
 
basically what duke said, LS1s have been swapped into 924s and RX7 FCs before so you might want to look into those too. i can't imagine doing a drivetrain conversion of any sort. not all engine swaps are hard though, my dad swapped out a prelude motor for a accord motor in our driveway in like 1 day hahaha but hondas are basically plug and play with no fabrication of any kind needed most of the time <8- )
 
menglan
All of those would take Quite a bit of cutting up, not to mention the motors you're planning on using would be Quite Expensive. Why not Put a Chevy Smallblock in a Datsun 280Z? Or, even better, a 510 with a Buick 215.

A V8 might fit in a 240SX, but you'd probably have to cut a bit into the fenderwells, fabricate engine/transmission mounts, and cut a driveshaft.. A V8 240 would be kinda cool, too. It'd take lots of work, though. Personally, I'd get an older(and bigger) car from the 60's, and put a better engine in it.(actually, I'm doing that now, putting a 305 into a '60 Biscayne) I would just get a turbo/headers/CAI for the car's current motor, but If that's what you want to do, Go for it. 👍 :)

I've heard of people putting Chevy 305ci and Ford 302ci V8's in these with success, but after heavy modification--but still successes. Lots of work and money is what I have, not to mention I have 3 certified master mechanics all with 20+ years of automotive expereince that can easily help me for when I need it. I'm looking for a long steady project designed for my happiness and stress relief. I chose these cars based on how I like them and how "cool" it would be to convert these to something "unique" instead of the same old "throw a V8 in an older car" or "throw a small block 305ci in a 240Z". One neighbor of mine and a friend of mine have already done the 240Z to V8 conversion...that's actually quite common here in this area--yes they are fast and it is cool...it's just already been done...and done alot. Thanks for the input though I appreciate it.

Emohawk
If you could do any of those things, you would know you could, and wouldn't be asking any of us these questions. Ergo, you can't do any of this, and shouldn't bother asking these questions.
Flame off.

If you don't have anything relevant to say to this topic then don't post. And don't tell me I can't do anything, humans can do anything if they put thier minds to it. Go troll and flame another topic.

standard235
I think some people would kill you if you put a V8 into a 240SX.


Why? Because I'd put an American V8 in a Japanese car? I think it would be the best of both worlds. = )

retsmah
I think a 2.0l turbo nissan engine would be a lot easier to do in the 240, with some work you could probably get similar power.

For something like a RWD Taurus you'd have to fit the engine in the bay, you'd probably have to do some modifying to get a

driveshaft to fit down the middle of the car, then you'd have to modify all the rear suspension stuff since none of it would be made to accept axles going to the wheels. Making a driveshaft would probably be one of the easier things to do :)

I really like the SR20DE motor but would prefer to do something unique like putting a V8 in the 240. Imagine the ricer's faces when I'm sitting at a red light in a seemly stock 240 with the exhaust howl of a WS6 Trans Am. 👍

Duke
While I applaud your moxie, I have to agree with this poster and say that I bet you're biting off more than you can chew.

I put a 2.4 litre Stratus engine in my wife's Neon a few years ago. And even though it was from the same manufacturer, almost the same model year, etc. there was still a lot of finagling and fabricating and fu... screwing around to get it working right.

Engine swaps are not for the faint of heart and drivetrain conversions even less so. I wouldn't dream of trying one for my first major car project.

You'll need (at minimum) access to and skills with a welder, steel fabrication shop equipment (cutters, bending brakes, etc.) and a garage with a hoist.

I've got access to; 3 20+ year master mechanics, tools, parts, and a basic hydraulic lift. My first major project was dumping a Ford 4.6 in a '89 5.0 Mustang GT and supercharging it. Won many drag races at our local drag strip with that bad boy. 👍

=========================================

I appreciate those of you who posted here with relevant information and not to just come in here and tell me not to do it or that I can't do it. I'm probably going to do either the 240SX with a Ford 4.6 or putting an LS1 in the Chevy Impala Police Interceptor. I have private access to a local city auction house that auctions off thier retired Police Cruisers--I can get as many Impalas and Crown Vics I need (for less than $2700 a piece) for the parts if need be. You can lock this topic since I didn't really get the info I wanted. :indiff:
 
Back