Questions to see if I should buy this

• Thread starter Sertsa
  • 5 comments
Hi, if you'll indulge me, I have a few questions about the game.

- Are the physics still somewhat realistic, as in Forza 4, or were they arcaded up for this game?
- Is there enough content to keep playing for a while? And will it be a good game to have months or even years later, or is it a complete it and set aside game?
- Does the "culture" aspect really add much over Forza 4?
- Finally, do you meet M. Rossi? If so, do you get to punch him?

Just had a thought, what if M. Rossi turns out to be a her?

- Are the physics still somewhat realistic, as in Forza 4, or were they arcaded up for this game?
The physics are a copy-paste of the engine in Forza 4, with some tweaks. Collisions have been adjusted to behave more like old Gran Turismo games, bumping and sliding without so much spinning. The tire model behaves similarly to FM4's, but with higher limits of traction for the various surfaces, making the game noticably "grippy." The suspension modelling has been improved over FM4's, incorporating more rebound and bounce; cars are more communicative and jumps can send you out of control. Aerodynamic modelling has also been improved, with cars lifting their noses in protest as you approach 200mph, threatening to send you into a guardrail.

Overall the game is more realistic/detailed than others that have labelled themselves "sims." For example, Horizon (like FM4) models rear wheel torque steer in powerful RWD cars, something GT5 doesn't do. And although it's "grippy", it's still not as easy as Forza Motorsport 3.

I do recommend avoiding "simulation" steering, though. Combined with the extra bite of the tires it makes the cars switch directions as if they were featherweights. The same problem exists in FM4 but the tire model makes it less obvious. I believe simulation steering is responsible for a lot of the "arcadey" comments about this game.
- Is there enough content to keep playing for a while? And will it be a good game to have months or even years later, or is it a complete it and set aside game?
Honestly, half of the point of Horizon is cruising on the open roads, finding your own way to spend time driving with your favorite cars. This was repeated in interviews leading up to release. That said, "motivated" people can blow through the career mode in a week. Playground Games added a free download called "1000 Club" that adds over 1100 mini-challenges, 5-6 for every car, but they're not terribly complex. Rally is a fun addition if you're into that sport -- if you have XBL Gold, running individual stages in any car at any time of day is great -- and the total car list after DLC ought to have at least a few of your favorites.

If you enjoy driving (for the sake of driving), Forza Horizon is a one-of-a-kind game. The map offers variety and great scenery, the physics are comfortable and intuitive, and the engine sounds are inspiring. I enjoy sitting back and driving aimlessly. My current signature reflects the mileage I've dumped into the game -- over 17,500.
- Does the "culture" aspect really add much over Forza 4?
Not at all. It's like an out of touch parent trying to act "cool." I don't care for the soundtrack, either.
- Finally, do you meet M. Rossi? If so, do you get to punch him?

Just had a thought, what if M. Rossi turns out to be a her?
M. Rossi wanders the free roam map in a red Ferrari F40. You can take a photo of his face (it's a guy ;) ), but he has the same model as every other AI driver wandering the map. Like the other AI drivers, you can challenge him to a race anytime you find him.

You don't get to punch him, but I enjoy dusting him in cars multiple classes below his Ferrari. He's as bad with traffic as he was in those Nürburgring passing challenges. :)

An open world street racing game with a simulation feel?
I love Midnight Club but those over the top arcade physics have gotten old. I might purchase an Xbox just for this game.

Back