Quick C7 related Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Guardian
  • 10 comments
  • 1,284 views

Guardian

(Banned)
Messages
2,122
Scotland
Scotland
Messages
Mazerati-75
Is this the first time a car with masking has ever been in a video game?
I know about the GTR Black Mask, but wasn't that merely masked because of the slight headlight related facelift?
 
Last edited:
Just curious, why a new thread? Two other threads you could have asked in...

And yes, that I know of.
 
Yes as far as I can remember. The Nissan GT-R Black Mask '07 was the prototype of the production car, not a facelift as it had not been released yet, whereas the Nissan GT-R Proto '05 was a conventional concept used to gain some feedback from the public.
 
Last edited:
The GT-R black mask,not full but still. But yeah, the other threads are about it.
 
Just curious, why a new thread? Two other threads you could have asked in...

And yes, that I know of.

Well, I'm not talking specifically about the C7. Whereas the other threads are doing just that. Please can we leave that matter be now(?) :)

Oh, and Thank You :)👍
 
It's certainly an innovative idea that might catch on, I just worry about how much time they spent creating that mask. It looks really authetic no doubt but it's going to be worthless once the full thing is revealed.

PS your font is too small to easily read.
 
It's certainly an innovative idea that might catch on, I just worry about how much time they spent creating that mask. It looks really authetic no doubt but it's going to be worthless once the full thing is revealed.

PS your font is too small to easily read.

Yeah, I agree it is quite mad to think how much effort they've put in to making what's essentially a black sheet look realistic :lol:

(Yeah, yeah OK, I was just playing around with the text for something different - thank you for your advice :))
 
Yeah, I agree it is quite mad to think how much effort they've put in to making what's essentially a black sheet look realistic :lol:

(Yeah, yeah OK, I was just playing around with the text for something different - thank you for your advice :))

Well the only saving grace so to speak is that I would assume they haven't modelled anything else underneath the sheets, that would speed up this model if they just did the basic shape with no details and then put the masking over it. Then for the real car they will actually do the detailing.

PSv2, That's better.
 
I reckon they scanned it - super easy, as I doubt we'll be seeing the interior either.
If they had modeled under the sheets, it'd be possible to pull the model apart and look up its skirt, so to speak, so that would be a very bad move if the car absolutely must stay secret until Jan. 13th. I don't know why it matters either way, the final C7 will be in the next game if not in GT5, so modeling the car under the wrapping isn't doing any harm. The wrapping is mostly a testament to PD's artists' excellent texturing skills.

EDIT: It seems it does have an interior (that'll teach me to miss a day on the forum!), and there are already attempts to peel off the camo in photomode. Maybe it's part of the hype. Still, if the car underneath the camo is complete, then all they did was take a bit of extra time to add the camo, which is "required" for the early release - I think it balances out.

The "black mask" GT-R probably still counts as the first; as mentioned, the prototype was well known already, so there was no need to cover up the body shape (although there were a few tweaks). All that really changed from the prototype was the styling on the bumpers and light clusters. Plus, the specifications were closer to the release version, whereas the prototype was probably only ever a guess.

You can guarantee there'll be more of this sort of thing, expect cars whose "image" lines up with GT's nascent brand image to feature in future, and the same for other games.
 
Last edited:
As I mentioned in the News section, I find the idea of being able to drive a car In pre-release masking to be quite a fascinating one. :)
I look forward to it. :)
 
Yes as far as I can remember. The Nissan GT-R Black Mask '07 was the prototype of the production car, not a facelift as it had not been released yet, whereas the Nissan GT-R Proto '05 was a conventional prototype used to gain some feedback from the public.

IIRC the Proto was the concept and the blackmask just covered up what was changed between the concept and the actual production car.
 
Back