Quickie: Wheel Spacing WOES

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zenith
  • 2 comments
  • 905 views
Messages
4,543
United States
Bay Area, CA
Messages
Zenith113
I'm trying to put a set of wheels onto my Mustang. The tires in the back are fine at 235/60/R14, but the front tires are rubbing on the A-arm coming from the suspension. I've tried downsizing the tires and it's come close to working, the smallest BFGoodrich Radial T/A's 215/60/R14 are just barely rubbing when I turn the wheel completely. I was wondering what I could do to fix this that doesn't involve buying new wheels or using the hideous old ones the car came with.

I've heard of wheel spacers so I asked around. The tire shop didn't recommend them, and also refuse service to any car with spacers. Apparently, these things have a nasty habit of coming off if they're installed by a monkey.

I've seen 2 kinds of spacers:
Adapters (http://www.cjponyparts.com/eibach-wh...-4.5-/p/WHSP5/)

and Spacers (http://www.cjponyparts.com/baer-1-4-...-pair/p/WHSP1/)

What should I know about spacers? does anyone here use them? What are some guidelines to prevent me from watching my 4th wheel fly past me on the highway?

Also, I've been thinking that the car would look much more aggressive if the rear wheels were farther out and the stance was wider, so I'm looking for a thin set for the front, and a thicker set for the rear.

Thanks!
Pics (Cellphone+flashlight)
IMG_0357.jpg

Rubbing

IMG_0354.jpg

Wheels (Tires: BF Goodrich Radial T/A)
 
We race with a set of spacers on the back of the car and never had a wheel come off on us. As long as the bolts are long enough leaving plenty of thread and the nuts are in good order i can't see that you'll have an issue. You look as if you'll only require the narrowest of spacers to give you the clearance you need. I presume there won't be an issue with the tyres rubbing on the inside of the arches if you push the wheels further out?
 
I had spacers on many cars and they never gave any trouble what so ever. One car I had only 6 threads on each stud and did high speeds on bad roads and drifting for 2 years. So in my experience no problems. Your car is probably a lot heavier than mine though, but the roads you drive on are probably a lot better.
 
Back