Quotebusters

• Thread starter AlexGTV
  • 26 comments

AlexGTV

(Banned)
Greece
Salonica
Take a quote and debunk it, prefferably by a respected personality, celebrity, influencing figure, politician or leading academic.

Let's see.

"How can it be that mathematics, being after all a product of human thought which is independent of experience, is so admirably appropriate to the objects of reality?"
— Albert Einstein

Mr. Einstein, I respectfully inform you that mathematics is tightly linked with experience; it has been the outcome of willing to manipulate experience at the cognitive level. This makes the argument a circular one and thus self-evident.

Let the debunkings begin!👍

The quote is correct.

Mathmatics only exists in the mind or consciousness whereas reality exists outside the senses.

Think about it. 2+2=4 is not a natural occurrence per se, it's a man-made concept.

George Bush:

"I couldn't imagine somebody like Osama bin Laden understanding the joy of Hanukkah."

--at a White House menorah lighting ceremony, Washington, D.C., Dec. 10, 2001

Oh where to begin??

George Bush: "I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

--Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000

Well thank god for that

"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."

--Washington, D.C., Sept. 13, 2001

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."

--Washington, D.C., March 13, 2002

????????????

The quote is correct.

Mathmatics only exists in the mind or consciousness whereas reality exists outside the senses.

Think about it. 2+2=4 is not a natural occurrence per se, it's a man-made concept.

No it isn't. I cringed a little bit the first time I encountered the quote, and I pondered upon it afterwards to double chek my initial feeling wasn't off. And it wasn't.
See, I can see how you can justify the logic being valid if you change the word "independent" with "different". Sure, math is an abstract of reality but does that make it "independent"? No.

"If a tree falls in a forest, but there is no-one around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Yes it does. Simple physics dictates that because the item in question (a tree) is moving, and will suddenly stop (hitting the ground), the energy must transform, into various forms. Kinetic, being the vibrations felt on the ground. Heat, light, etc.

But, crucially, also sound waves. this comes both from the impact, and the displacement of air caused by the movement of the tree.

Physics 1. Philosophy 0.

Note: I know this is worded poorly, but if you follow the argument and apply a 10th grade knowledge of physics, you can debunk this 'classic' philosophical quote.

"If a tree falls in a forest, but there is no-one around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Yes it does. Simple physics dictates that because the item in question (a tree) is moving, and will suddenly stop (hitting the ground), the energy must transform, into various forms. Kinetic, being the vibrations felt on the ground. Heat, light, etc.

But, crucially, also sound waves. this comes both from the impact, and the displacement of air caused by the movement of the tree.

Physics 1. Philosophy 0.

Note: I know this is worded poorly, but if you follow the argument and apply a 10th grade knowledge of physics, you can debunk this 'classic' philosophical quote.

I dont think that particular quote meant to question/bend the laws of physics, More so its just basically saying if there be no ears to hear, there will be no sound

No it isn't. I cringed a little bit the first time I encountered the quote, and I pondered upon it afterwards to double chek my initial feeling wasn't off. And it wasn't.
See, I can see how you can justify the logic being valid if you change the word "independent" with "different". Sure, math is an abstract of reality but does that make it "independent"? No.

Have you ever seen pure mathematics? It has no relation to anything in the real world what-so-ever, and is purely independent of it at that point.

Physics 1. Philosophy 0.

Now prove it. That's where the philosophy comes in.

I'll just leave this here...

xqc9X.gif

Physics 1. Philosophy 0.

Thats a phrase basicaly meaning if no one caught you it didnt happen. I think the meaning of this thread is to try and find faults in peoples ideas or speeches.

The displacement of air (caused by the tree falling) causes vibrations in the air. this vibration causes air particles to move in waves (thus making sound). This effect is intesified by the impact of the tree hitting the ground (causing a larger displacement of air). Therefore, a tree falling MUST make a sound.

Edit: I hope I'm not being trolled...

granturismite
The displacement of air (caused by the tree falling) causes vibrations in the air. this vibration causes air particles to move in waves (thus making sound). This effect is intesified by the impact of the tree hitting the ground (causing a larger displacement of air). Therefore, a tree falling MUST make a sound.

Edit: I hope I'm not being trolled...

Awesome wiki quotes are awesome

"But obviously, we've got to stand with our North Korean allies – we're bound to by treaty." - Sarah Palin

North Korea hates America. Quote busted.

"Trust me, I'm a doctor." -Dr. Dre.

Now, maybe he has some degree hidden somewhere, but I'm pretty sure he's not a doctor.

Have you ever seen pure mathematics? It has no relation to anything in the real world what-so-ever, and is purely independent of it at that point.

The language of Physics is Maths, Physics isn't a man-made concept, it simply has our labels on it. The universe doesn't work without Physics, and Physics doesn't work without Maths...

What about movie quotes? Here's one from Scarface that's always bugged me:

"I always tell the truth, even when I lie."

No matter how much I think about it, this quote never seems to make any sense to me...

The language of Physics is Maths, Physics isn't a man-made concept, it simply has our labels on it. The universe doesn't work without Physics, and Physics doesn't work without Maths...

Physics is separate of math in terms of concept and theory - you could setup a free body diagram and label all the forces and what not and have a very good idea of what is going on in a system without applying maths. And physics is very much a man made system of rules based on our observations of the universe, which is why the rules change depending on the scale of the system.

And physics has little to do with pure mathematics as well...

What about movie quotes? Here's one from Scarface that's always bugged me:

"I always tell the truth, even when I lie."

No matter how much I think about it, this quote never seems to make any sense to me...

It is a paradox for a reason.

Physics is separate of math in terms of concept and theory - you could setup a free body diagram and label all the forces and what not and have a very good idea of what is going on in a system without applying maths. And physics is very much a man made system of rules based on our observations of the universe, which is why the rules change depending on the scale of the system.

And physics has little to do with pure mathematics as well...

Physics might be a man made word, and the numbers and labels applied to it might also be man made, but Physics, the laws, relationships, properties etc. are absolutely not man-made, merely observed by man, understood, predicted, and proved by man. To understand it, we need Maths, but it does not need Maths for it to happen.

Even a simple force diagram, with or without numbers doesn't work without mathematical concepts, F=mg is dead simple, but it's still a mathematical equation, and does not work without the concept of multiplication..

I could be wrong...., I studied Pure Maths for two years at college and I absolutely hated it.. but at the same time I did Physics and loved it.. Maths, IMHO, is a necessary evil.

^Yes. Haven't you ever encountered a quote from a famous person that you thought was wrong?

Not the best choice on your part to pick Albert Einstein to argue with about something he's internationally renowned for being a master of.

Back