[R][R][R]Course BG

• Thread starter A.A.Z.
  • 22 comments
You know that as well as License cards there is another "car" called [R][R][R]COURSE BG. Does anyone know what this course is? Is it a deleted one, or is it used somewhere? I couldn't answer that question :guilty:

I think it may be the one seen in the background before Arcade Mode races. You know, the setting where your car runs and overhead, it says "Starting Grid" or "Time Trial." As for [R][R][R] COURSE BG, it may stand for "Racex3 Course background" representing the 3 options in Arcade Mode racing and the background course preceding each. How in the world did you get to it?

EDIT: This is strictly theoretical, and I cannot account for the first two pictures, but the third is familiar. Perhaps it may be Eigen Loop...

I think it may be the one seen in the background before Arcade Mode races. You know, the setting where your car runs and overhead, it says "Starting Grid" or "Time Trial." As for [R][R][R] COURSE BG, it may stand for "Racex3 Course background" representing the 3 options in Arcade Mode racing and the background course preceding each. How in the world did you get to it?

EDIT: This is strictly theoretical, and I cannot account for the first two pictures, but the third is familiar. Perhaps it may be Eigen Loop...
Very interesting theory :) This actually might be the answer...

Lots of arbitrary graphics can be used as car bodies.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/sillyshark/

I can't quite guess what the one you found is usually used for.
Yeah, I know that smiley. I have it in my garage :sly: However, as with the License cards, it's too huge to be driven from my favorite camera view, so there's no real fun with it.

So, did you drive that car with a body on it, but it disappeared when you entered that area? How odd...

If it's the car as well (it remained as four wheels), it may be that, since the background is displayed with a car, that the wheels remain in the environment, but, depending on the car selected, the bodyshell changes. Due to the fact that no particular car was selected (in this case described), the car is just a set of wheels. This may also be why the replay labeled the car as, "[R][R][R] COURSE BG".

(Strictly theory here) If the car had a body to begin with, then any code that places a body on the wheels can only be accessed through the screens provided in Arcade Mode. Due to the fact that the pictures suggest that you came to this place via Laguna Seca, this code, if any, was bypassed and thus your car appeared as a set of wheels. The programming of GT2 probably made this a permanent addition to your car.

That is what I think happened from the pictures, anyways...

This is an awesome thread, by the way!

Alright, I'll upload a video with racing on that "car" and all known hidden bodies including License cards. Wait a little.
P.S.: dudes, you can get a save file with all that cars... or ask HYBRIDLVR or me (trying to pretend to be a smartass :)), how to buy them :) It's easy if you have PEC / GameShark!

So here it is: http://www.sendspace.com/file/sf5num (115 MB (121 415 716 bytes); Video: XviD 804x632 50.00fps 1198Kbps; Audio: MPEG Audio Layer 3 44100Hz mono 87Kbps).

I've made it using Camtasia Studio, although I didn't understand how to record the sound from the speakers, when I chose appropriate menu item it kept on recording the sound from microphone. So I just put the microphone to my speakers... I know that's lame :), but at least it worked.

As I am using ePSXe, I usually play with the 50.0 FPS Limit, but when it is loading or something, I press a key which removes the limit to make it load much faster - so sometimes you will be able to see FPS jumping.

I recorded two races inside (and outside) that [R][R][R]COURSE BG car - one in the Test Course and one in Laguna Seca. You can mention that this "car" easily breaks out through the walls and goes outside any track. Also, on the replay of Laguna Seca race you can see its shape when it's very high above - it's kinda like a globe calotte (or just "stripped ball", I don't know if those words are right).

Also I've recorded the rest hidden cars - some NTSC-only Acuras, Lexuses and Exxon cars (I'm using PAL version so I have Hondas, Toyotas and Esso cars), also all the known hidden bodies (not only bodies actually - some of them are real cars, like CLK-GTR or GT500KR) and the [R]No Name No Name "cars" - license cards, a cup and a huge smiley.

The reason why I created this thread is that I can't understand the meaning of that [R][R][R]COURSE BG (and also that smiley actually): you can see the license cards and that cup rotating in several circumstances just like cars, for example, when you receive your license - I think that's why they've put 'em there. But I still have no idea for any use of that smiley or the [R][R][R]COURSE BG.

Sorry for all the mistakes - my English still needs to be improved.

In a reference chart I found...

* | t002n | 1E0410D8 | [R][R][R]COURSE BG

So 1E0410D8 would be the "body code" I should perhaps try some time . . .

* | t002n | 1E0410D8 | [R][R][R]COURSE BG

So 1E0410D8 would be the "body code" I should perhaps try some time . . .
By using the "[R][R][R]COURSE BG" as a body code (or a shell over an existing car), you can break out of a lot of tracks.

The excitement of breaking out of tracks is limited, though. You can test top speeds to infinity, or boredom, which ever comes first.

By using the "[R][R][R]COURSE BG" as a body code (or a shell over an existing car), you can break out of a lot of tracks.

The excitement of breaking out of tracks is limited, though. You can test top speeds to infinity, or boredom, which ever comes first.

Off topic: hey what happened to your GT site? www.Formulanone.org used to have awesome car lists, which come in handy when I'm doing research, now I can't find them...:crazy: Are they just buried somewhere? I swear I been all over your site.

Last edited:
Thanks. That was interesting. I couldn't get your other video to work on my machine.

Back