Race Cars: Skins or Seperate Cars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 24 comments
  • 1,511 views

"To select race cars, I'd rather..."

  • ...select a car, then pick a paintscheme.

    Votes: 31 57.4%
  • ...choose seperate cars instead of worrying about different paintschemes.

    Votes: 19 35.2%
  • ...say that I don't know/undecided.

    Votes: 4 7.4%

  • Total voters
    54
  • Poll closed .

JohnBM01

21 years!
In Memoriam
Messages
26,911
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
Messages
JMarine25
This is a poll concerning how choosing race cars should go. Pro Race Driver has skins of cars. So no matter what paintscheme you choose, you still have the same car with the same style of performance. Gran Turismo 3 features the same classic system of picking race cars- use seperate cars for sale. And some versions of cars feature more horsepower. Take for example, the Pennzoil Skyline versus the Loctite Skyline (you have to unlock).

So which race car system would you prefer? Pick a paintscheme (or I'll use "skin" for this thread)? Or pick a seperate car?
 
Pick a separate car. It worked ok in V8 Supercars because they are all essentially the same. The JGTC cars that you mentioned are in a much more open competition where restricting things like in the V8 tourer's wouldn't be feasible. For example, if you limited a JGTC Skyline and a JGTC NSX to 400BHP, my money would easily be on the NSX as it's more aerodynamic and has the advantage of being MR.

Even if the cars are exactly the same in every way, I'd still rather be paying for the one car, not one model and multiple paint jobs.
 
Instead of "pick a paint scheme", it should be more like "pick a race body type". Example would be the Ford Mustang: Drag (Pro Stock), Track (Trans Am) etc. And, depending on the body selected, it would change it to that configuration.
 
I don't get the point of this.

The Calsonic and the Loctite Skylines are just different paintschemes on the same car. The Pennziol is heavier and more powerful, so it's a different car entirely.

So it depends on what the car is as to whether it's a skin or a different car. It's not a case of preferring, it's a case of what the car actually is.
 
I would say that the included race cars should probably be left as that meaning that you can not change their appearance except for maybe wheels. As far as race modified goes perhaps this time, you can choose the general race appearance from perhaps as many as 4 differnt race styles on some cars. Then maybe instead of them going ahead and have pre-made paint schemes the cars just come with a very basic paint job one solid color or something. Then you can go to paint shop to add colors and other things. GT2 had lots of race bodies for the stock cars, but for alot the paint schemes where fairly bland even to the point of being hard to look at. Also hopefully we will be able to add all the parts and then make the final race body change to at least 50 percent of the stock cars, but hopefully this time at least 25 percent of thoes will be able to compete with and win against their nearest full blooded race car competitor. I think for the most part the GT2 race modified cars still lacked in overall handling and feel compared to the actual in game race cars. Some of my favs was the 63 vette, the shelby stang, and I think one of the camaro z-28's ( not the one that looked more like a drag car when modified ).
 
JohnBM01
Take for example, the Pennzoil Skyline versus the Loctite Skyline (you have to unlock).

The Pennzoil is also the 1999 version and the Loctite and Calsonic are the 2000 models.
 
Give us the paintschemes, and i don't mean just a few. I mean hundreds and hundreds! I like variety 👍
it's a good way of identifying others when playing online also!
 
I'm not sure I'm getting the point of this thread JohnBM01.

If two racing cars (the same model) have different colours it's because they are from different teams, right?
Well, then there is more to these cars than just the paintscheme imo.
If they are from different teams they have different specs, therefore they obviously have to be considered different cars and should be picked up separately.
 
I think because of the inclusion of the Paint Shop (provided it allows us to make alterations to [R] cars) this is a bit redundant. And most of the time the cars are physically different in body shape, performance statistics, etc.
 
Hiya! :D :O :lol:

I am not sure on what to decide on this thread. The reason for this is I think no to customizing the cars paint wont make the car the oringinal look of the "XXX" (fill in car) Some might just walk in and see your Skyline and ask "wow wut kind of skyline is that?", because it doesnt look like the other skylines you can get in the game. Well that is if that person havent seen all the available skylines or other cars in the game yet. Some people would like to keep the car's appearance oringinal. Some believe that if you change the paint of the McLaren F1 Fina, is it still a McLaren F1 Fina? :O :O

blah..iunno, I had a tough time trying to explain what is in my head about this topic! :crazy: maybe...you shouldnt pay attention to my post since I really dont know how to express what I am thinking. :odd:
 
I think the point is that we are not talking about specific racing cars - Fina Mclaren, Calsonic Skyline, Oreca Viper etc etc. I think the point is about the seperate race modifing of 'stock' vehicles, ie the next step from stage 3 lightening, like they had in GT2, as to whether we have a choice of skins to choose from, rather than just what they deside to give you.

maybe i got this thread wrong too?
 
as touched on by a few others... the real thing (hopefully this thread is trying to illustrate) is that when you [R] mod your ride, you can choose from several different paint schemes (just as you can choose different colours of the stock car).

This would still also have various pre-defined team cars still in the game... so you'd have the Penzoil Skyline the Loctite Skyline and Falken Skyline as separate cars. If you buy a stock R34 and then put the racing mods on you then could choose several paint schemes on that one.
 
I don't understand these "which do you prefer" threads, just strike me as a total waste of time, as does this topic.
 
You know how they have the Tataka NSX in GT4 P at the moment, what would the chances be of them including for example the Gzox NSX of the same year in GT4? Would they have to make a compltely different car or just put a nother skin or whatever its called? Is the answer the same for the JGTC Skyline and Supra also in GT4 P?
Thanks
 
I'll try to make some sense out of this topic I've posted, but I'll do that later. Supra, I'm not sure to be honest. Maybe there will be one model with two different skins.

Okay, on to what I mean. I asked this question as a bit of a special interest topic. I don't know what people would think, so I would ask if you'd rather buy a seperate race car with one skin, or purchase one car, then choose the team livery (as in "Pro Race Driver"). To me, I've considered cars like the Mobil 1 NSX and the Raybrig NSX in GT2 as essentially the same car but two different teams. So choosing one car over another or trying to earn another gets to be a little strange. I mean, if you buy a Supra GT500 race car with one bit of livery, then you earn this other Supra GT500 in another sort of livery (let's say the one you buy bears the Castrol colors while the earned car bears Esso Ultraflo colors), would you be better off just buying the race car then choosing which team livery you wish to purchase? This is granted that both cars are of the same model of the same year (unless the configuration is unchanged from past years) and that engines are the same.

Or another way to look at it, what if you could purchase two different GT500 Skylines? One is the R33, the other the R34. And let's say that you can buy an R33 Skyline and maybe get the machine in Unisia Jecs or Kure (pronounced "koo-rae") colors. Then the R34 can get you Pennzoil or Calsonic colors? I just think that in talking about this topic, maybe you can be able to buy a race car and choose the paintscheme from the team you want. Or maybe you want to keep the car in its "blank" form and paint it any way you please. I hope this cleared up a few things about it. If not, let the thread die. Punish me later.
 
John your ramblings bring up an idea that I have just had... but I don't know how good it would be...

Maybe during the game you could choose a team to race for or perhaps if you're good enough they could choose you (Sponsor you?) to race in their cars... Now because you're racing in their cars you wouldn't have to buy the car but any winnings you make would go to the team (with a percentage to you) and the better you get then the better the team gets and the more they can invest in upgrading your car with custom modifications or something?!

I dunno... maybe I'm just rambling too now!!

C.
 
John each team makes their own unique tweaks and changes to the car... so maybe on the outside the NSXs you cite are extremely similar, the physics will be different. Also, alot of race car chassies are made specifically to build a race car with and are quite different than street cars modded for racing... i say allow the ability to race mod your street car base, but true racing versions should be on the distinct racing platform.
 
Yeti: Sounds too much like a career mode that so many other games have implemented, GT tends to be more freeform.
 
it is hard to pick a skin for different cars such as JGTC or other official race cars because the aerodynamic parts are different between teams.

so I guess seperate cars is the best thing

but if u're talking about normal cars.. I would rather have some body kit modifications but that can prove difficult for SOOO many cars

Artz
 
More cars = more better.

Skins = lame.

I'd rather have a red Viper and a black Viper as separate cars than just having a Viper and being able to switch it's colour. It adds to the illusion of actually owning the car. (Which is a HUGE part of GT's appeal)
 
No offense, Capn, but I'd rather have the classic blue and white colors like the Viper GTS in my scale model car collection.
 
The colours I used were just examples. The point is I'd rather have a separate car for each colour (like it is in GT Simulation Mode) than one car that can be any colour (a la Project Gotham or GT Arcade mode)

Skins make it seem more like you are borrowing the vehicle rather than owning it.
 
I don't want every skin to apply to every car, just some variants for each vehicle.
 
I like the idea of picking the look for a said race car.For example,I'll use NASCAR as a base.There are basiclly 4 cars but tons of different paint designs.Now to be able to choose the design you want would be great and once a number has been selected,there should never be 2 of the same in the same race.
 
I love the racecarskins in GT2. You can buy a boring japanese car, and turn it in to a touringcar. And in GT3 you can buy a boring japanese car and it stay's a boring japanese car. I would like to see them back in GT4, and if you dont like them dont buy them.
 
Back