race drifts

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mizuki
  • 16 comments
  • 1,116 views
Messages
13
Canada
Canada
allowed or would people frown on it? i mean its a technic right? fast entery speed and exit if you do it right plus on high speed way u can hook the front inside wheel on the curb and just floor the gas, i can easily control it so i don't hit anyone its just that would it be acceptable if i were to do it?
 
allowed or would people frown on it? i mean its a technic right? fast entery speed and exit if you do it right plus on high speed way u can hook the front inside wheel on the curb and just floor the gas, i can easily control it so i don't hit anyone its just that would it be acceptable if i were to do it?

As long as you don't wipe anybody out doing it or cause chaos, crack on 👍. I think PD should bring out a drift race/event for people who are good at it or enjoy doing it.
 
i can't agree more i would really enjoy an event like that i don't really like drifting for "points" ahwell i usualy just go to arcade and pick time trial or single race to practice, i really wish it would let you pick your tyiers but not go over what everyone else is using in event mode
 
Use whichever way you find fastest around the circuit. As a rule I tend to drift the car a little, turning in later towards the apex and turning in harder to slide it into the corner so I'm straighter for the following straight. That said, my line becomes a little smoother if I'm in traffic so I don't come into contact, and also an earlier turn-in is a bit more defensive. People can take a late turn-in as an opportunity to squeeze down the inside.
 
ok so basicaly do whatever to be faster in the corners aslong as it don't affect anyone, ok thank you very much for clearing that up
 
allowed or would people frown on it? i mean its a technic right? fast entery speed and exit if you do it right plus on high speed way u can hook the front inside wheel on the curb and just floor the gas, i can easily control it so i don't hit anyone its just that would it be acceptable if i were to do it?

I always giggle to myself when I see someone in an online race drifting or in that ridiculous Blitz drift car. More power too you if you stay out me my way. But a grip racer will destroy a drifter...drifting isn't really as "fast" way around a track.
 
Use whichever way you find fastest around the circuit. As a rule I tend to drift the car a little, turning in later towards the apex and turning in harder to slide it into the corner so I'm straighter for the following straight. That said, my line becomes a little smoother if I'm in traffic so I don't come into contact, and also an earlier turn-in is a bit more defensive. People can take a late turn-in as an opportunity to squeeze down the inside.


Exactly, if i see someone preparing a lunge up my inside i deliberately go far inside or at least make the gap as small as possible. If the other driver is fair they'll realise they can't get through there. It does sacrfice speed though and can leave you a sitting duck on the exit if they take the normal line and leave space to make a run on you. Just a matter of judging the driver based upon the race so far as to how aggressive they are, the more aggressive the better this move works. Calmer drivers will be patient and will take the normal line.
 
I only really do it if i am in my M3 and i won't hit any one.
 
I think with the new physics engine, they really crack down on this. I try to minimize drift style now during online races. Not as effective as it used to be. I can drift the whole course, hit all the apex and stay on the racing line with drifts, but unlike GT4 physics engine, the times will be slower now. If this is realistic, then so be it. I want to know what is most realistic.

In GT4 I used to tune and test in single player driving the course in two different styles. One was all out grip, no zero lock or any opposite lock, focused solely on grip driving. Then I would switch styles and drive it with some finesse and take the car beyond the limits with more aggessive approaches and some drifts and times would be almost equal for me. (not exhibition style or big angles, just high entry trail slides and zero countersteer style)

Before in GT4, I used to find situations to carry the momentum by sliding the car in a four wheel drift through certain types of corners, grazing the apex and coming out faster, but I think GT5P physics are penalizing much more than they did in GT4 here. If this is how it really is, then so be it. :) But I do miss racing competitively and tossing out some drifts here and there and not being affected much.
 
Exactly, if i see someone preparing a lunge up my inside i deliberately go far inside or at least make the gap as small as possible. If the other driver is fair they'll realise they can't get through there. It does sacrfice speed though and can leave you a sitting duck on the exit if they take the normal line and leave space to make a run on you. Just a matter of judging the driver based upon the race so far as to how aggressive they are, the more aggressive the better this move works. Calmer drivers will be patient and will take the normal line.

That's why we need longer laps,i caught up to someone in first place on the last lap and i couldn't get past(good blocking,it was a good race),i would of had to drive like a newbie to pass and cost first or second to either of us.
 
small angles can help but proper drift angles cost time
 
That's why we need longer laps,i caught up to someone in first place on the last lap and i couldn't get past(good blocking,it was a good race),i would of had to drive like a newbie to pass and cost first or second to either of us.


Smaller laps keeps the race exciting, people push harder knowing there's only a minute or so left, it's like a sprint race. Winning isn't everything. Not to mention longer laps means the host has more time to leave and ruin the entire race for everybody.
 
I meant when we have better control over the race or type of people we race against.Wouldn't it be more fun if we had a 10 lap race and we were all on par with each other and there was no barging just the occasional racing incident.
 
Problem as I see it is that if someone has a faster car/setup/driving ability than you, even if only by a second a lap, then you're going to get beat by 3 secs right now, as opposed to 10 if you're in a 10 lap race. It'd be realistic for sure but probably a bit disheartening. I quite like the short races for this reason. I would be up for trying longer races but I think, without the boost it might not be as intense. It's a bit of a double edged sword that boost - I mean it keeps the races interesting.
 
I'd find it just as fun, the better drivers would shine in a longer race, but races would be more open with more chance of one driver taking the lead and running off with it for 8 laps. its 50:50 for me
 
Then you know you need to improve your driving skill so next time you stand a better chance of winning him\her.
 
True, but again, it's not always about the winning, i play to have fun. I win more then my fair share online against the standard driver and often pull away from the pack up front even with online boost helping them. Without drivers such as other GTP members or other highly skilled drivers, a long race would begin to drag on. With other, faster drivers, yes it would be fun, but more often then not 3 laps settles the men from the boys so to speak, assuming the racing is relatively clean.

Don't get me wrong i like long races, but i won't enjoy them any more or less then the short sprint type races which i already adore.
 
Back