Race help!

• Thread starter jussa88
  • 8 comments
United States
United States
Hey, I'm new here. :) I'd say I'm a decent driver in Gran Turismo 4 but I have a problem: I can't even win a 1 point A-spec race.

For example, I used a Cadillac CIEN on the American Championship (it was a 1 point race) and I wasn't even close with keeping up with the competition. I'm not THAT bad of a driver as I'm pretty good staying with the racing line.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm new here. :) I'd say I'm a decent driver in Gran Turismo 4 but I have a problem: I can't even win a 1 point A-spec race.

For example, I used a Cadillac CIEN on the American Championship (it was a 1 point race) and I wasn't even close with keeping up with the competition. I'm not THAT bad of a driver as I'm pretty good staying with the racing line.

If you are referring to the 5-race championship series, you have race cars as opponents. So, that's why you're so slow compared to them. Try using a race car for this event, or focus on winning the easier races first. 👍

If you are referring to the 5-race championship series, you have race cars as opponents. So, that's why you're so slow compared to them. Try using a race car for this event, or focus on winning the easier races first. 👍

Hmm... but the Cadillac is a 1000 hp beast. (fully upgraded) It's not considered a race car?

Hmm... but the Cadillac is a 1000 hp beast. (fully upgraded) It's not considered a race car?
Race cars are in a different class compared to the Cien. I recommend you judge a car based on it's handling and high performance engine.

What tires do you have? Opponents in this series have Racing tires. If you're using Sports, you'll have a hard time keeping up.

But even with Racing tires, the Cien is hard to control with all that power, it lacks downforce. If you don't have an USA race car, complete the Stars and Stripes event and you'll get Camaro Race Car. It's fast and can compete in the series easily. 👍

What tires do you have? Opponents in this series have Racing tires. If you're using Sports, you'll have a hard time keeping up.

But even with Racing tires, the Cien is hard to control with all that power, it lacks downforce. If you don't have an USA race car, complete the Stars and Stripes event and you'll get Camaro Race Car. It's fast and can compete in the series easily. 👍

I'm not sure what kind of tire because I can't upgrade them I don't think.

I'll try that!

The Corvette C5R is nice, too. You can buy it in the Chevrolet dealership for $1,000,000.

Visit the tune shop in any car dealership and you should be able to purchase racing tires, among other upgrades.

Last edited:
The C5R and Camaro Race Car both come equipped with R3's (race tires). Both are competitive in the American championship. The Cien is not, primarily because the only thing it has going for it is gobs of horsepower. Unfortunately for the Cien there is a turn at either end of every straight, and horsepower doesn't get you around corners faster.

A-spec points offered are an unreliable indicator of race difficulty. I've had very difficult races for a handful of A-spec points, and races worth over a hundred points that were cakewalks.

Back