Race on the Ring

• Thread starter ECGadget
  • 0 comments
United Kingdom
England
ECGadget
Eh???
So I finally got around to giving it a go... and I loved it!

Intermediate Level AI, Pagani Zonda R for me, Racing tires.

So the race started with me in 16th place, fitted with Rain tires. It was dusk and in front of me all I could see was a glare from the spray of the car in front. Switched off my beams but it didn't help, I was pretty much racing blind, following the car in front. I managed to pass it after about 4 turns, just before the fast curve (with the jump at the end) and I got on with chasing down the pack. Pretty difficult for me to get used to since I've never driven in a race in rain at dusk. Pretty hard too since I only use a controller not a wheel. Half my overtakes came from the AI making errors and halfway through the lap it stopped raining. I had to decided whether or not to throw on Inters, testing the grip on the back straight. By that time I'd worked my way up to 3rd place so end of first lap I pitted for them. Came out in 10th, but I knew i'd made the right choice because I could feel the grip on the tires. 2nd lap just was me forcing my way back up to the front, taking first on the long straight near the end of the 2nd lap, but it was raining again...

Pitted second time, surprisingly I was followed in by everyone. So I came out still in 1st and went for it... 4 laps followed in heavy rain and I didn't pit once, but nor did the AI. By the 4th lap it was pitch black and my lap times were again into the 9 mins (Previous on the inters was 8:33.xxx)

As the sun rose (which I've never seen... gotta say it was great!) the rain stopped, letting me switch back to inters, though I knew it was too early. However I wasn't losing much lap time, even though I was sliding a lot. Was VERY difficult to keep hold of the car. I knew 2nd and 3rd were catching up to me, so I just had to keep myself together, but I eventually lost it... had to battle my way up as the inters came into play near the end of the lap, I literally sailed past them on the back straight. They pitted at the end of the lap though, while I didn't, choosing to stay on the inters, while they seemed to have switched onto the Hards... I hadn't realised a dry line was appearing. Forcing my tires through the lap I tried to stay on the wettest parts of the track, eventually finishing my race with a 7:34.xxx lap, total race time of 1 hour, 11 mins and a few seconds. 9.908 seconds in front of 2nd place...

That was easily the HARDEST and most fun race i've ever had... my head is hurting from the level of concentration I needed... It was brilliant!

Back