Race Report No. 1 - World Classic Car Series

Canada
Canada
Car being driven - '64 Honda S600

This was interesting. The S600 proved to be a great little racer in the Japanese Classics, easily overcoming the competition. But the World Classic series however, proved to be a little bit different.

The first race is La Sarthe 2009 (No Chicane), which is an awesome course with a powerful car, but even more fun with a tiny underpowered cars and 11 other tiny underpowered cars. I still have no idea how I managed to win this race; I only had about 96hp, while the opponents all had in the neighbourhood of 130-140hp. The first section wasn't too bad, I was able to gain some headway, but once that first looong straight comes in, things got iffy.. and hilarious. Turns out me and 4 other opponents were all trying to draft and counter-draft each other at 147mph, except every time somebody would get enough speed to pull out of the draft, the resistance would slow them right back down before a pass could even be made. I eventually managed to build up a draft of 149mph (long gear ratios) and caught first, and was racing with white knuckles for the last half of the course.

The rest of the competition wasn't nearly as entertaining, but overall the little S600 proved itself among some bigger brethren.

More to come!

Latest Posts

Back