Race Track evolution.

• Thread starter BroncosXR8
  • 20 comments
Australia
Sydney, Australia
GTP_BroncosXR8 or BroncosXR8
I had the idea that I wanted to create a racetrack and it's evolution over the years, much like we have with older tracks.

Bruman Raceway Evolution by BroncosXR8, on Flickr

So I started with Bruman Speedway 1920's

Bruman Speedway 1920's by BroncosXR8, on Flickr

Bruman Speedway 1920's
It is reminiscent of the first racetracks in Europe, long highways between towns that were raced on, hence there are no big complex corners and very long straights.
Whilst a very basic track, it has its difficulties, due to the long straights and the blind crests which lead to the sweeping bends. A very good track for drafting, with only one really good overtaking place at the 'hairpin' which can be done under brakes.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by BroncosXR8, on Flickr

It has a Track length of 5903m, a straight length of 825.7m and a elevation difference of 128.1m. 8 Corners in total.

Bruman Speedway 1940's (Variante)
In the 1940's speeds started to really pickup in racing, and a need to slow them down across the top of the mountain arose. So a chicane (or Variante in Italian) was added halfway along the tabletop.
Note that the blind crests still exist and require caution.
The straight leading up to the hairpin was widened very slighty to allow cars to run side by side into the braking zone.

Bruman 1940's (Variante) by BroncosXR8, on Flickr

It has a Track length of 6109m, a straight length of 794.7m an elevation difference of 129.3m and 12 corners.

Bruman speedway 1960's (Complex)
Things stayed pretty much the same for another 20 years until the 60's, and by now racing was starting to evolve, no longer based on cars that were on sale in showrooms across the globe, but purpose built racecars.
So this time due to the excessive speeds and handling that this cars now possessed a complex was added to the downhill straight, it is very tight and has many undulations which requires skill when in traffic.

Bruman 1970's (Complex) by BroncosXR8, on Flickr

The whole circuit got some gradual widening as well.
Track length 7099.8m, Straight length 800.1m, Elevation difference 137.1m, 26 corners.

Bruman RACEWAY 1980's (FIA Spec)
Again it was 20 years before any significant changes occurred. This time to come in line with FIA regulations for International Racing, hosting everything from local drive days, Touring cars, to Formula and Prototype racing.
Due to the regulations, the track was widened considerably in places to give room for error and run off. (Unfortunaltey the GT5 track editor doesnt have scope for adding runoff areas and sand catches 👎 )

Bruman 1980's (FIA Spec) by BroncosXR8, on Flickr

GT5 also doesnt show track width in the track picture which is why the picture looks the same compared to 1960's.
Track length 7150.8m, Straight length 815.9m, Elevation difference 137.7m, 26 corners.

Bruman RACEWAY 2010
30 years pass and the track requires another significant upgrade to fit with the new FIA and F1 regulations. The track is widened even further in all but the complex downhill sector. It can produce some stunning side by side close racing.

Bruman RACEWAY (2010) by BroncosXR8, on Flickr

Some of the corners have had their radius's tightened slightly to keep the difficulty from dropping too much.

Track length 7161.4m, straight length 815.9m, Elevation difference 137.8m, 26 corners.

I hope you like them, its very fun to race on these knowing the evolutions and why they are there, using period cars on them is fun too. :)

Last edited:
I like the concept of evolution in raceways... A lot of people forget that the cars are only part of the "formula" of racing.

I remember the first time I raced on the 2005 Circuit de la Sarthe without chicanes to go for the 400km/h trophy. I really had an uncomfortable feeling driving an expensive Ferrari that fast on a roadway that isn't exactly smooth.

Send me a friend request if you want to try them out guys.
@GTP_BroncosXR8

Please leave some feedback for me too, the more detailed the better.

I'll be putting up 1960's (Complex) up for sharing now. It is by far the most fun, it has all the features but is nice and tight/not very wide compared to the later two.

i did that as well, mt aso is a good one to use to start off with because of the way it looks, i tryed to evolve the tracks to suit the cars of the time and what was going on on real tracks

Looks like a really great set of tracks. I'm really interested in the process of the track evolution.
I've posted so i can find the thread later. I'll add you when i'm next on PSN.

PSN: JT977

Cant wait to try 'em out.
Good work 👍

So i had a go at doing this track evolution thing waaay back in March when i first saw this thread. I made some tracks and tested them out and was happy with the results. Lots of stuff happened and i completely forgot about the whole thing.
Then, this week, i remembered about it. So i looked up the old pictures i took of my tracks back in April and here is the result.

Evolution of Westemere Airfield to Race Circuit
Westemere1945.jpg

Westemere airfield falls into disrepair post WWII. It is sold to the local land owner in 1948, Lord West.

Westemere1955.jpg

The airfield is developed into a full track in 1955 using the runways and surrounding dirt tracks to create a narrow circuit for Mr. West's growing collection of high performance cars.

Westemere1965.jpg

The track is widened slightly in 1965 to allow for races between Mr. West and his associates who would pay for the privilege.

Westemere1975.jpg

Following the passing of Lord West in 1974, Lord West Jr inherits the land and track and immediately straightens out the 'Big Bend'. The circuit now hosts regular events and brings in a healthy crowd for the 'Lord West Memorial Trophy' in 1978.

Westemere1985.jpg

A kink is added the 'big bend straight' in 1985 to slow down the turbo charged beasts that now grace the, once quiet, country track.

Westemere1995.jpg

A 90 deg bend is placed after the hill climb in 1995 and the track is now in regular use with touring and stock cars. Word gets out that West Jr has big plans for the circuit and has hopes of hosting a big race.

Westemere2005.jpg

Work begins in 2003 to bring the circuit up to international standard. The track is widened, lengthened and a final technical section added to the end of the circuit. It is complete in 2005 with plan to host a F1 Grand Prix in 2015....​

Nice work J_Turner:tup:

I really like your track and the story behind it gives it even more depth.
Interesting that you went with such a small amount of sectors, I may have to try that.

I had another go yesterday using my original account (not my GTP account) as that's what I'm currently playing trying to collect all the cars, and come up with a new evolution of tracks.

Photos and explanation to follow...

Thanks Broncos. The original idea for it being a disused airfield came from the fact that you cant change the width of the pit straight. It ruined the feel of the 1955 track as the rest of the lap was really narrow and lined with hedges. It really felt like an english country road. Great for taking a classic car out for a spin. Until you got to the huge pit straight! Then i thought "this looks like a runway" and the idea just grew.
I went with 3 sectors to keep is realistic in terms of racing circuits. Most have only 3 timing points on the track. I also wanted it to be a compact track, ideal for classic car races. Also, 3 sectors reduce the risk of bad cambers which i cant stand.
I threw the story in last minute, hence Lord West...lol..cant think where that came from...
I use the different circuits to test out the classic cars (pre 1980) which i collect. Only in the tracks which were built at the time the car was available though.

Jon

@J_Turner
Yeah the main straight is a bit of a bummer in the early stages of the track evolution :indiff:
I too have started to test my cars on the period correct track and also setting the ABS to 0 if they don't have it (usually I have it set at 1), also using Calan_svc(?) tyre guide so that I'm using the 'most' correct tyre model. :)

Anyhow here is the promised new track:

Maylor Road

Similar to the Bruman series of tracks this one is also set in the ol' country - England.

A rival estate to the Bruman area is the Maylor county. At the turn of the century industry and progress was sweeping across the globe and the sleepy little village of Maylor and Bruman did not want to get left in the wake so noting that the automobile was a driving force in this change they both began converting their little laneways and dirt highways into something more easily traversed by these new fangdangled machines.

The history of Bruman is already well documented, so today we move onto the Maylor County.
The road is a ring that runs through the marketplace (pits) through a right hand bend heading up the hill to the residential end of the village, in the distance you can see Maylor Castle, it than takes a turn running over the top of the ridge line looking back to the valley which it comes back down joining the end of the marketplace road.

All in all a very simple 'ring road' that connects the township.

10 years later and there is a need to resurface the track and it is widened slightly in most places to allow traffic to go both ways.

the 50's come along and Maylor hasn't become the bustling megatropolis that the council had planned nearly half a century ago. Rather it has become a place for the wealthy to retire to the countryside, leaving much of the township undeveloped and dispersed. This led to a rise in vehicle manufactures needing to find a test track far from the confines of noise restrictions in the cities and so found the little village of Maylor that was after a new source of income, and decided to lease Maylor Road for dedicated track days and testing, this also became somewhat of a practice amongst the old english toffs in the village who loved nothing more than getting out the old hillman hunter or triumph (don't crucify me if these didn't exist in the 50's haha). However the old road had to bought upto spec for these companies to test so was again gradually widened in places, and on the top of the ridgeline a flip flop type complex was added, much like an inverse Eau Rouge just not as fast.

The swinging 70's hit Maylor with a BANG! Those manufacturers were coming more regularly and the Maylor Automobile Racing Club among the gentry decided that Maylor was the perfect place to hold a sprint race for the current big banger cars that were circling the globes race tracks. With a view to attract some of the Le Mans winners such as the Ford GT40 and the Ferrari 330 P4 to compete against the Jaguar XJ13 which had been testing exstensivley at Maylor and Bruman for the last couple of years, the track had a complex added at the beginning of the ascent towards the flip flop, this allowed the current cars and to show off there superior suspension and tyre design.

1990 came along and so did FIA with a vengeance, during the 80's Maylor was the scene of some highspeed fatal crashes at the very fast downhill sector that sweeped onto the pit straight.
Maylor was given an ultimatum, if it wanted to continue to hold international class racing, it would have to close the track to the public and add another complex to the downhill sector to reduce the speed and risk of accident.
The downhill straight was cut in half and added some 3rd-4th gear corners that really utilised the new cars downforce, cumulating in an off-camber 2nd gear corner leading onto the pit straight. It is still possible to understeer into the barrier here due to the off-camber corner but the speed has been much reduced.

The F1 circus has come to town, the year is 2005, and Silverstone is the premier circuit in the UK. However some of the teams want an alternative test track and the now very wealthy Maylor Automible Racing Club have bid to hold a second GP in England. So the track has been widened again (though not to the extremes that Bruman has)

Todays racecars can almost take the flip flop at full pace, and the track now possesses some of the best close highspeed racing in the world.

Maylor Road has seen many twists and turns in its illustrious history, and the evolution of the track is hidden in its many scarred armco.

I hope you enjoy the story and the track. If you would like to download them, shoot off a PSN friend request to BroncosXR8. :)

Last edited:
My new favourite thread! I love putting a story behind seemingly 'timeless' (literally without a time, not in the conventional meaning) objects...

I might have a go at this myself when I get back later :)

Back