Racing Brakes upgrade

• Thread starter czerka
  • 23 comments
United States
United States
czerka's_epeen
I've added these to a few cars now and they seem to be overkill on everything so far. I've messed around setting up a Miata and few others and the racing brakes typically instantly lock the front tires, even when at zero front bias. Can anyone else confirm?

I should have added I'm using TCS-0 ABS-0.
Racing brakes with ABS0 is even more sensitive than GT5 braking. You have to be really light on the pedals and really low on the BB. Regular brakes on the other hand are more manageable with ABS0 at least in the couple of cars I tried.

It's also entirely possible to not lock them, even with higher brake balance. It's also entirely possible to unlock your brakes and still pull the car up as required.

It's also entirely possible to not lock them, even with higher brake balance. It's also entirely possible to unlock your brakes and still pull the car up as required.
Very true most people who arent proficient with GT are very linear with complete lack of throttle and brake controll its either all in or none at all

Very true most people who arent proficient with GT are very linear with complete lack of throttle and brake controll its either all in or none at all
That's not issue. Well, I guess it sorta is. The brakes were locking at 33% pressure at 0 front bias, and not just sorta locking, locked up, trails of rubber, understeer of death locking up. Maybe I don't have the finger skills to threshold from 33% to 30% and back, but switching back to stock brake upgrades allows my to fine tune the bias and have a pedal that has some travel to it.

I forget that people use a hand controller still for Granturismo.
Friend try the game with a wheel and pedals it is amazing how much more it will change the game for you.
You can even use an H-pattern shifter as well, it's awesome!

DSCN0479_zps1d6d50c9.jpg

Last edited:
Friend try the game with a wheel and pedals it is amazing how much more it with change the game for you.

DSCN0479_zps1d6d50c9.jpg
Dude someone put the shifter on the wrong side:lol: Kidding:cheers: Nice set up, always enhances the experience when you can feel like you're sitting in a real car:tup:👍

I've only upgraded the brakes on one car so far and have found ABS to be fine with low bias settings.

I'm using a G27 with GTEYE progressive brake spring mod.

Friend try the game with a wheel and pedals it is amazing how much more it with change the game for you.

DSCN0479_zps1d6d50c9.jpg
what if you r right handed,personalyy i would like it on the right side,but can't say enough about how cool the setup is,good job dude :D

Thanks guys, its a great setup for GT6.
I can adjust the break pedal on the CSP V2's to make it stiffer. Came in handy with the Racing brakes in Gt6.
The 9.1 tactile surround in the cockpit really adds to the immersion too, especially with the new physics when a 2wd or a 4wd car is understeering :gtpflag:

I should have added I'm using TCS-0 ABS-0.

They also seem to repond to tire grip level. You don't need racing brakes on a miata with sub racing compound tires. The car is too light. With 0 abs. The brakes are way different than gt5 and I think they are harder to master now. Oh and did you see the upgrade applies visually to standard cars!?

I've only upgraded the brakes on one car so far and have found ABS to be fine with low bias settings.

I'm using a G27 with GTEYE progressive brake spring mod.

Just got my EYE and loving it so far. You really have to stomp on the brakes sometimes but it feels more realistic. On the other hand if you want to drive without ABS, because the pedals is much harder to depress you make less overbraking mistakes and get a better feel. I think it'll come in handy with GT6's new brake programming.

They also seem to repond to tire grip level. You don't need racing brakes on a miata with sub racing compound tires. The car is too light. With 0 abs. The brakes are way different than gt5 and I think they are harder to master now. Oh and did you see the upgrade applies visually to standard cars!?

Correct. It's all too easy to forget that stopping power is all about tire grip. If you can lock up the tires with the stock brakes then adding the brake upgrade will hurt, not help. It would hurt because you would now be able to lock up the tires with less brake pressure, which means you will have a narrower pressure band in which you need to modulate the brakes.

On the other hand, if you cannot lock up the tires (assuming 0 ABS) with the stock brakes, perhaps while running Racing Softs, then you could potentially gain additional stopping power with the brake upgrade kit. Running 0 ABS should allow a finely tuned left foot to slow the car down better than the ABS could. That assumes you can learn how to threshold brake with enough consistency to gain an advantage over the entire lap, which is much easier said than done. That's the theory at least, but I have not played around with the brakes too much in GT6 just yet.

This is not what I was expecting to find. So you guys noticed a difference with the brake upgrade?

I just did a before and after test on my R34. I used Route X and clicked go, kept accelerating, then hit the brakes at the 1000 meter mark. I'd always stop on 1300 meters.

So then I upgraded the brakes, and I'm still stopping on the 1300 meter mark. Why haven't the brake upgrades done anything? o_o

This is not what I was expecting to find. So you guys noticed a difference with the brake upgrade?

I just did a before and after test on my R34. I used Route X and clicked go, kept accelerating, then hit the brakes at the 1000 meter mark. I'd always stop on 1300 meters.

So then I upgraded the brakes, and I'm still stopping on the 1300 meter mark. Why haven't the brake upgrades done anything? o_o

This is to be expected in most circumstances. Remember that the fundamental limitation on a car's ability to decelerate is the amount of grip available from the tires. If the braking system on the car is good enough to overcome that grip then the wheels will lock up. Lock up is bad, obviously, so if your brakes can already lock up the tires then they are capable of taking full advantage of the available tire grip levels under deceleration. The easiest way to test this is to re-install the stock brakes, disable ABS entirely and go see if you can lock up the tires with your current car configuration. If you can, there is no benefit to upgrading the brakes as there is no untapped tire grip waiting to be taken advantage of.

Now, if you put Racing Softs on the car and try the same test there is a chance that you will NOT be able to lock up the brakes, particularly at speed, and then you could benefit from upgraded brakes under those circumstances.

I cannot confirm this but I suspect that most cars will not benefit from upgraded brakes. Some likely exceptions would include very high speed race cars running very grippy tires. I'll be interested to hear others experiences as we spend more time with the game.

p.s. If the car has a decent amount of downforce then you might find you cannot lock the tires at high speed but as the car slows down the tires may lock up under the same brake pressure. This is because as the speed drops so does the downforce, and as a result the level of tire grip available also drops off.

This is to be expected in most circumstances. Remember that the fundamental limitation on a car's ability to decelerate is the amount of grip available from the tires. If the braking system on the car is good enough to overcome that grip then the wheels will lock up. Lock up is bad, obviously, so if your brakes can already lock up the tires then they are capable of taking full advantage of the available tire grip levels under deceleration. The easiest way to test this is to re-install the stock brakes, disable ABS entirely and go see if you can lock up the tires with your current car configuration. If you can, there is no benefit to upgrading the brakes as there is no untapped tire grip waiting to be taken advantage of.

Now, if you put Racing Softs on the car and try the same test there is a chance that you will NOT be able to lock up the brakes, particularly at speed, and then you could benefit from upgraded brakes under those circumstances.

I cannot confirm this but I suspect that most cars will not benefit from upgraded brakes. Some likely exceptions would include very high speed race cars running very grippy tires. I'll be interested to hear others experiences as we spend more time with the game.

p.s. If the car has a decent amount of downforce then you might find you cannot lock the tires at high speed but as the car slows down the tires may lock up under the same brake pressure. This is because as the speed drops so does the downforce, and as a result the level of tire grip available also drops off.

Those are very good thoughts. Unfortunately I want to keep it relatively normal, the stickiest tyres I will use will be sports soft (currently on sports hard). I'll play around a little to see if I can find any difference between the two brake set ups. And I'll try and report back if I actually find anything.

I've added these to a few cars now and they seem to be overkill on everything so far. I've messed around setting up a Miata and few others and the racing brakes typically instantly lock the front tires, even when at zero front bias. Can anyone else confirm?
Turns out my problems were due to the brakes not working in Free Run. After one of the recent updates all is mostly well.

Back