Racing Bros - Is this the worst racing game ever?PS4 

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 22 comments

Scaff

United Kingdom
He/Him
ScaffUK
So I came across this free title on the PS Store today, and free may be to expensive for it.

It's an arcade racer for the PS4 built in Unity, with bizzare bouncy physics, an inability to turn at anything over snails pace without tipping over, no HUD, no progression, an odd whine as a soundtrack/engine noise, every race is against the Mafia (I have no idea why, that's never explained, nothing is) and well not much of anything of substance.

And yet it's almost so bad it's good, it does have up to four player local coop, but I'm not sure I dislike three other people enough to do that to them. That said if you're all drunk enough it would be hilarious for about 3 minutes.

Honestly it has to be tried to simply experience how truly bad it is, and given that it's free you have no excuse.

The gold standard of racing game fail is still "Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing." Racin' Bruhs... uh, Racing Bros., though, is not as bad as the aforementioned game to me. This truck handles as *beautifully* as the Stadium Super Trucks in Automobilista. I haven't played this game. I don't even have a PS4. So I am just going on impressions.

It's possible to make a decent racing game in Unity, but the engine isn't really meant for it so it requires a lot more work than necessary. I'm guessing this was one of those "This won't do what I want it to but I'm gonna release it anyway because games with wacky physics are da lulz" deals.

I looked on the PS Store earlier today and didn't find this. I bet it has already been taken off for quality control.

I often wonder how stuff like this end up on the PSN store. You'd expect to see shovelware on Steam, but surely Sony would like to maintain a carefully curated collection and have some sort of vetting process instead of just giving any game the green light?

I often wonder how stuff like this end up on the PSN store. You'd expect to see shovelware on Steam, but surely Sony would like to maintain a carefully curated collection and have some sort of vetting process instead of just giving any game the green light?
When it comes to online distribution, bragging that you have hundreds or even 1000+ games available is more important to give the perception of value. Especially when everyone knows that most of the quality stuff is available on other platforms.

It's possible to make a decent racing game in Unity, but the engine isn't really meant for it so it requires a lot more work than necessary. I'm guessing this was one of those "This won't do what I want it to but I'm gonna release it anyway because games with wacky physics are da lulz" deals.
It's actually easier to make a top down 2D car game than 3D. I'm actually working on my own game as a side project. Link is in my sig.

It's actually easier to make a top down 2D car game than 3D. I'm actually working on my own game as a side project. Link is in my sig.
I find the AI is the biggest challenge in programming a racing game.

It's easy to create oppoents that just follow preset routes, you can even given them a few different routes so mix it up again, but preset it would still be preset routes that they wouldn't veer from.

Trying to make them actually choose when to brake, when to turn, how much to turn based on actual conditions rather than preset flags, making then try to avoid driving straight into you if you're in thier way etc. gets tricky.

Well done trying to make your own game too, best of luck with that.

Trying to make them actually choose when to brake, when to turn, how much to turn based on actual conditions rather than preset flags, making then try to avoid driving straight into you if you're in thier way etc. gets tricky.
Not even PD can do this properly :lol:

It's had an update now. It's now on V1.01 and it's brilliant*.

* Actually quite wrong. My favourite part is when you press the throttle on the loading screen and the wheels rotate! And the shadows are Epic!

I found the original trailer from April of last year.

I wonder what was done between then and its release, because it looks like nothing.

lol, i have downloaded this for my 4yo son who wanted to race aswell, on the PS4.. he has tons of fun in this game xD. It's really hard to go round a "track" fast in this weird "built-in-2-hours" game.

This game is next-level crap haha and yet my son is amusing himself with it, going all over the place :lol:

NlXUFK0.jpg

Back