Racing etiquette when getting overtaken

• Thread starter Wilsonson
  • 1 comments
Germany
Germany
insomniacsloth
Apologies if this is not the appropriate forum. Since it is not specific to any one title or even sim racing in particular but rather a general question about racing etiquette, I hope that it is suitable here.

What is my responsibility or my right in the following situation? You are being overtaken on the inside while going towards a chicane. The other car has managed to pull along side when approaching the chicane and then through the first part gets about a half car's length or maybe even two thirds ahead but has not made a complete pass yet and then pulls across you towards the apex of the second part of the chicane.

Is it my responsibility to let them slip past or are they supposed to leave me space on the exit of the chicane and go side by side?

In case it matters I will describe the actual situation even more specifically, but I am mainly interested in a general answer because I believe that this situation is quite common in all forms of racing.

My situation happened in indoor rental karting with barriers all around like on a street circuit, i.e. no run off space at all. A left hander was followed by a very short left-right chicane. this chicane can be taken flat out easily in a diagonal almost straight line brushing past the barriers but becomes two almost 90 degree turns if you try to go through side by side.

I made a small mistake at the exit of the left hander which allowed the following kart to pull along side, although only slowly. Then they went through the chicane without leaving me any space on the second part of the chicane while only having passed half my kart. I hoped that they would leave me space and therefore stayed on the throttle while making sure to take the exit of the chicane as close as possible as not to push them wide. Since they assumed the racing line I made contact with the side of their rear which resulted in them spinning 180 degrees.

Your responsibility is to avoid contact and to not force the other car off the track. The overtaking car has the exact same responsibility.

The incident you describe sounds like a racing incident, the other driver probably thought they had passed you.

Back