Racing Line & Brake Zones: Do You or Don't You!

United States
Pennsylvania
DarkCobraUSMC
When I first started up GT7 I had the racing line & Brake zone turned on. One night when I was just trophy hunting I turned off all the assists including racing Line & braking zone. Got the trophy and continued to race, I blame the bourbon for not remembering to turn them back on. That was 2 weeks ago!

Still haven't turned them on and I'm actually finding it more enjoyable to race and my lap times have improved. So they are staying off.... 🤣🤣🤣

I also have all other assists off TCS 0, ABS 0 and the like. I may use TCS 1 from time to time, that's rare though. I don't like ABS, I like to get a feel for the brakes and push the envelope as much as I can.

How about you?

TCS is completely dependent on the vehicle, usually off or at 1, but I do still use ABS.
Whenever our league moves to the next track, I'll practice with braking zones on until I've got it memorized then remove them.
Never used the driving line, but I do always use Apex markers.

I think what has really helped me is the haptic feedback with the PS5 controller, that thing is crazy feeling it push back on my fingers. I don't use a wheel, yes I want to get one. If the US stops taking my taxes ( 🤣 🤣, that will never happen! ) maybe I will be able to afford one someday.

I believe there are certain vehicles or races that ABS is default and you can't turn off, is that correct?

I tend to have the racing line on as just a reference for consistency rather than following it blindly, been racing these tracks for 20 years in some instances so it's not needing the line but it's just another tool to me these days and GT's basically lines on the road so it's not intrusive unlike some games with their super 3D flashing lights dynamic wipeout lines.

I use that "soft braking zone" (don't know the name), where a part of your HUD turns red, when it's about time to break. I find it super usefull, not too disturbing and wish, more racing games had it.

The race line was my largest crutch for a long time in multiple racing games, I gave it up once I switched to GTS and haven’t used anything like that since. It was hard to get used to, but it made me a better player in the long run. The only assist I use now is default abs.

Last edited:
ABS @ 1
TCS @ 0 (most times)
Markers = OFF

Quite frankly, I like the apex and braking markers in GT Sport when they were represented with cones on the side of the track. They looked natural for lack of a better term. ....blended in when you didn't need them. I hated that they got rid of them in GT7 and replaced it with the arcade-like visual aids which I frankly find gaudy and distracting.

Now I just have to rely on memorizing landmarks or distance markers for each type / category of car and track to get an idea of when I have to brake.

As an aside, I don't feel having ABS off necessarily gives you more control or an edge vs. having it on. ....not like TC can which will cut power.

Last edited:
The assists have been a constant indicator of my proficiency throughout the years.

When I was a green horn, still wet behind the ears, I used racing line (back in the days - GT5 I think) when it go bold and light up blue into the braking zones and that helped me to switch from automatic gears to manual gears. Having to concentrate less on the racing line allowed me to concentrate on shifting up and down.

TCS was the next to go, once GT Sport came out and I suddenly found myself online and racing competitively for the first time and just taught myself to improve my throttle control, along with my lap-times.

I quietly used the much-maligned flashing gear indicator to help me into the world of correct braking. Along with the cone markers (RIP), I eventually found myself punching above my weight in the Daily lobbies, racing to a level I could've never imagined a few years previously.

NB.. The flashing gear indicator is still useful in GT7, but if you aren't braking by the time it appears you're probably soon going to make a date with Barry-R

I've always driven with he racing line on, i don't really see it as a crutch or hindering me in any way it's just.......there, I'm not really following it as closely as you may think it just kinda subconsciously helps me keep me eyes on the track instead of looking left or right for markers...

I use braking zone on tracks that are new to me, it's wrong 70% of the time, but it gives you an additional point of reference

I used most of them the first week or two until I got familiar with tracks and the physics. I turned the racing line off after a couple days because I couldn’t stand looking at it and found it misleading at times anyways. Now I only use ABS and occasionally TCS when the track is really wet and I only put on IMs.

Only ever used the brake point indicators when I first started playing but have since turned off all visual aids. TCS is off most of the time too unless the track is super wet or my tires are worn down. ABS is the only thing I leave on anymore.

I used the racing line and brake markers once, and that was only because I was doing the 24min of Le Mans mission in the F1500T-A :lol:

I use the braking zone - spend so much time fiddling with the MFD and watching the radar/mirrors that I sometimes miss my marker without it and slam into someone. Especially in Sport, don't want to unnecessarily ruin someone else's race. It's just a last ditch "danger!" reminder, not something I actually follow.

ABS yes, TC depends on the vehicle, usually have it on 1 for the race cars.

Never use the driving line - I know where I'm going.

I used to use the cone markers in Sport and found them quite useful when learning circuits. Since GT7 doesn't have them, I don't have any assists at all, just work with experience and judgement...

I don't like ABS, I like to get a feel for the brakes and push the envelope as much as I can.

How about you?
I use braking zones (see below) and apex markers with an AT and nothing else.

ABS has been off since I started, it's one place where the haptic feedback really shines...in any game. AT is my next to go and I really have no excuse for not venturing down that path yet. The apex markers remain because I have finally started to race tracks other then Sarthe and I'm not as familiar with the lines yet.
I use the braking zone - spend so much time fiddling with the MFD and watching the radar/mirrors that I sometimes miss my marker without it and slam into someone.
How many times have I gotten a big lead or such a favorable position that my mind starts to wander and I do exactly that? I may never turn this off honestly.

Last edited:
Yes, I use brake zone always as I tend to forget the precise points on many tracks when to brake, as for driving line, only when I have to drive at night...

Back