Racing Line in GT4?

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hey people!
I have had GT4 for about a year now and really liking it.:dopey: However, I am a bit of a bad racer.:grumpy: I will happily race without TC, ABS and most other assists apart from one.
THE RACING LINE!!!!!
I can't find a setting in-game which lets me turn this on. I am managing without, but I find it better when I race with it.

Is there a Racing Line in GT4? If so, where do I go to turn it on?

TA!!!!! :dopey:

You're not mistaken, listerstorm2009; aside from a couple license tests, GT4 has no displayed racing line.

You should get used to not having a driving line.
Get a feel for the track to see where to turn in and exit.
I practiced on the Nurburgring Nordschleife in GT4.

Keep running any track untill you thing you have marstered or come to mastering that track and you might want to try a hand full of cars on some tracks to get a feel for the cars and the tracks
Hope this helps and good luck

Last edited:
With regard to the racing line and licenses, it is only available on the non-full-lap tests for the domestic B and A licenses, and you must hit either R3 or L3 to enable it. However, you should not be dependent upon it, as it will (as you have discovered) hurt you badly when it's not there.

With regard to learning the natural line, the AI cars tend to follow an "okay" line around the courses. Pay attention to where they drive, how they approach, where they brake/turn-in, accelerate, etc. It's not the most optimum, but it is a place to start.

Once you've gotten comfortable with those lines, you'll start to notice that there are places where you can go faster, trim the fat, etc. from the line you've learned. You can sometimes brake a little later, or turn in a little differently, or nail the accelerator a bit sooner, and so forth, and find yourself dropping seconds off your lap times. Youtube sometimes has hotlaps which can help you polish your lines.

Above all else, practice, practice practice. That's the only way to really live in The Line™.

I only use the "real" racing lines when i'm doing hot laps on Arcade mode or trying to qualify for the championship races. Otherwise i follow the car ahead, brake as soon as i see their lights come on, then slide up the inside. Sometimes it can result to the opponent coming back on you round the exit of the corner but usually i can just about hang on to the place. if i'm in the lead i will follow the racing line a bit more, but i tend to move to the apex a bit earlier than most people do.

[snip]
but i tend to move to the apex a bit earlier than most people do.

Much the same here. Slow in, fast out. I find it easier to optimize exit speed if I enter the corner a bit slower (i.e. more controllable). It allows me to better aim the nose of the car so that when I nail the accelerator, it goes where I want it to go.

Back