Racing Wheel Fallout

  • Thread starter Thread starter knavish
  • 12 comments
  • 1,313 views
Messages
193
Messages
knavish
When I first purchased this game I managed to get 33 gold trophies with a DS3 controller. I golded the entire S class and completed the Vettel Challenge. Since then I have struggled to gold ANY license tests. I consider myself to be pretty decent with the wheel, especially online. What gives?
 
Time and adjustment I'd say.. How long have you been using the wheel vs pad?
 
The transition takes a little time. Little bits of input with a wheel go a long way. Just be patient and try to be smooth. The times will start coming down as you adjust
 
It's almost like learning the game all over again. It just takes a little time, if you were quick with a pad, you will be even quicker with the wheel.
 
Just don't be afraid to use force, many people that start using FFB wheels are afraid to be rough.
 
Just don't be afraid to use force, many people that start using FFB wheels are afraid to be rough.

Agree, make sure you have a solid stand for the wheel, then don't be scare to drive as needed.

Also, it can be related to pedal, some people like left foot breaking, some just use the right.

It's a whole new world that your muscle/brain have to adjust, even if you are driving since 30 years. (Unless you race often?)
 
It deffinately takes a bit of getting used too
 
The FF really kicked my arse at first, and it was wreaking havoc on my setup. As I drove more, and learned to "fight back" I found my table was coming off the ground from the wheel's resistance.

My suggestion, reduce the force feedback and work your way back up. I'm at level 2 right now on my DFGT, and it's the most my table can handle without getting kicked around all over the place. Until I get a better setup, It's staying there, but I'm NEVER going back to a controller.

Just ask yourself this: Given the chance to drive your favorite cars from the game in real life, would you suit up and drive them with a controller, or their actual wheel?
 
To be honest, IMO those not using a wheel for GT5 are missing the point of the game. It's like playing tennis using a 1 button joystick.
 
It's the guys that are still using X and square to accel/brake that baffle me...
PS3 triggers are bad, but not that bad..
 
I'm actually getting tired of using the wheel lately, with GT5 anyway. Bought one (DFGT) not long after getting the PS3, in anticipation of GT5 (with GT5p), and was having a great time with it. Been a controller user for all of GTs past, and wanted to make the game "better". But now, even though I'm 0.5sec quicker with a wheel on most tracks (3sec + consistent on the 'ring) am getting sick of the wheel.
Why?
The force feedback in this game is really lacking. One still has to rely on visual and audible cues to know the rear end is sliding. The FF doesn't give any hint of the cars angle relative to the road. And if turning too much to take a corner (forcing understeer), the FF still has the same amount of resistance to turning as when turning with full traction. I am increasingly finding in this game that the FF is only there to provide resistance whilst on track, and it shakes a bit when hitting the rumble strips or grass/dirt. Even System 3's "Ferrari Challenge - Trofeo Pirelli" gets the FF a lot closer to right!
And before you ask, I run with Simulation settings, no "assists" or other driver aids. The FF level at 10, and compared to running it on the PC, is about 50% strength, but can be set to 150% through Logitech's profiler software.
At the end of the day, I just go back to using the 6axis controller I got with my "Phat" PS3, and let the AV feedback let me know whats going on without the misleading FF of a wheel.

[/rant][+0.02c]
 
I bought a wheel. Havent used it yet as i need a more stable table for it.


Cant wait though.
 
Back