Racing Without a Driving Line

  • Thread starter Thread starter Slurpee
  • 28 comments
  • 1,978 views
Messages
62
Messages
Juno_Beach
Well in Gt4 I always wanted there to be a driving line, I raced fine without it but when Gt5 came out I started using the line, and now have become dependent of it. So I want to try to be able to race without it, mainly for online racing since most disable the line.

My Questions are:
- What tips can you give me for racing without the line?
- What track do you suggest I practice at? (Been using La Sarthe)
- What cars should I practice with? (I have been using my LM cars to practice)

Thanks! :)
 
Next to your gear indicator, will be a red number that pops up for braking zones. That will suggest what gear you should take your corner in. When it starts flashing, get on the brakes. Brake, downshift, and late apex. Soon you'll be driving great without the line.
 
Yea that gear indicator is a huge cheat and easy way to drive. I usually break a second later from the time when the gear indicator starts flashing. It's really nice bench mark to test breaking/cornering ability of cars...

Also another thing, you gotta look at the road when you drive. Don't look at the ground but look ahead. Don't look at the side of the track or other views either. GT5 requires some serious concentration.
 
The 'suggested gear' indicator is okay to start with, but once you've tuned a car, it's not very accurate. Learn to identify trackside objects for your own braking points, be it the braking boards, overhead gantries, or advertising hoardings.
 
i would suggest a slow car to start, but most importantly almost all tracks have braking markers on the outside of the straight prior to the turn. like 4 3 2 1 turn. look for those. on tracks that dont have em.... a lot of times there is a shadow on the ground, or a big tree or sign on the side of the track.

and practice.
 
You'll have to practice each track without the line.

And you'll find that the line is sometimes very wrong. The 3rd turn at Nurburg GP/D for example...
 
Correct! +1. QFT.

Most tracks have tire marks on the ground which can also serve as a point of reference where the braking zone is. It's just a matter of repetition to learn the track.
 
You'll have to practice each track without the line.

Yes, practice and common sense. Start driving the tracks and slowly increase your pace.
 
-What tips can you give me for racing without the line?
learn the track ( right now, i'm not fallowing the red number i feel that make me brake too early but u can use the red number to learn how fast u can go around the corner )
- What track do you suggest I practice at? (Been using La Sarthe)
for me the nurbergring norblablabla
- What cars should I practice with? (I have been using my LM cars to practice)
i think ur favorite car, because if u don't enjoy what u are driving is going to be boring and frustrating :D ( 550 pp to 600pp car are easy to drive)
 
Most tracks have tire marks on the ground which can also serve as a point of reference where the braking zone is. It's just a matter of repetition to learn the track.

Like he said there are tire marks that represent the driving line. THe blue one isn't necessary.
 
The recommended gear indicator is just a guideline. Try to build a "feel" for the corners so you can shift accordingly without relying on the indicator. 👍
 
Just takes time on the tracks is all. After the first day I had this game I stopped using the driving line. Doesn't take long to get used the braking points and all that. Good luck.
 
When the line is on, your field of vision will be located closer to the front of the car, as you are reading a very low 'indicator', especially for braking points. When driving with the line off, look further ahead of the car. This will allow your eyes and brain to process the information coming in easier.
 
When you've smashed into a wall a few times, you'll learn to brake sooner....:)
 
When you've smashed into a wall a few times, you'll learn to brake sooner....:)

Haha yeah, I'm running into walls a lot doing the Ferrari event for practice and admiring the weird damage on my car at the end of the race. ;D

Thanks for the help, keep the tips flowing if you have anymore. :)
 
Laguna Seca is a cool track to get your braking points without the driving line on. For extreme U.S. get a Corvette ZR1(C6), C5R or a Camero LM and tune them up with racing soft tires. It takes practice...
 
The 'suggested gear' indicator is okay to start with, but once you've tuned a car, it's not very accurate. Learn to identify trackside objects for your own braking points, be it the braking boards, overhead gantries, or advertising hoardings.

This is what I'm gonna say.

Use your surroundings as reference points.
 
chris speed
Laguna Seca is a cool track to get your braking points without the driving line on. For extreme U.S. get a Corvette ZR1(C6), C5R or a Camero LM and tune them up with racing soft tires.

This. I remember the first time in GT3 (possibly GT4, I think GT3 though) when I hit the Corkscrew just right in my C5-R and powered through the next corner barely nipping the rumble strip. It was the corner that hooked me on GT 👍.
 
1. If you leave the line off and stick with it you will defiantly get a feel on how to take certain corners on different tracks and such but it will take time and practice for sure.

2. Some people may think I sound crazy but I would suggest Trial Mountain Circuit because you have a good mix of tight turns and long turns which will reallt test your braking ability IMO.

3. I would suggest using cars that handle well such as the 787B insuring that it's not the car slowing you down or affecting how you brake.
 
My Questions are:
- What tips can you give me for racing without the line?
- What track do you suggest I practice at? (Been using La Sarthe)
- What cars should I practice with? (I have been using my LM cars to practice)

Thanks! :)

1-Practice, practice, practice.

2-Try Deep Forest. It has a nice mixture of corners.

3-Nothing too fast to start with, maybe a fully tuned Honda Integra (not a 787B). Gradually work your way up to faster cars the more confident you get.

Good luck, you can do it.
 
no line on the Nurburgring, I know every corner at every turn by mm. much time trying to beat my own time, with full F458italia ferrari tuned, racing soft, all AIDS of, just abs +1
 
Quick question, have you done your licence tests yet?

If you have done them and you used the line, do them again without.
 
I have no idea why some people think the gear indicator trick works......At most tracks it blinks miles ahead of where you should actually brake.and why would you stare a t a gear indicator instead of the track lol
 
I have no idea why some people think the gear indicator trick works......At most tracks it blinks miles ahead of where you should actually brake.and why would you stare a t a gear indicator instead of the track lol

The reason I mentioned it, is because it's a good starting point for someone who's always depending on the Racing Line Aid. Walk before Run.
 
i would suggest a slow car to start, but most importantly almost all tracks have braking markers on the outside of the straight prior to the turn. like 4 3 2 1 turn. look for those. on tracks that dont have em.... a lot of times there is a shadow on the ground, or a big tree or sign on the side of the track.

and practice.

You're right but just one thing I must note -- There will come a time someday, somewhere, in some game where you will discover this, hopefully I can save at least one person some misery -- Using shadows is a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad habit. ;)
 
I've never used driving lines in racing games. I find it takes me out of the experience and reminds me that I'm not really driving (gt does seem to have the least unrealistic "in your face" driving line though which is good). I also remove as much data from the screen as the game will allow. Seems more realistic to me. I basically want my monitor to be the windshield. If you're having trouble with certain tracks without a driving line, just use practice mode and eventually you will get a good feel for how to drive the track.
 
Most tracks have certain indicators on the outside of corners you will begin to catch in your peripheral when you find your braking and accelerating marks. On most world circuits the braking zones are marked with distance signs on the outside and you can get a feel on your own for picking the throttle back up and accelerating off the apex.
 
Laguna seca is a good track to learn without driving line. The brake zones are very clearly marked ( till u smash them off the track :) )
 
Back