Racing's Biggest Threat: The Very People Who Love it most

  • Thread starter Thread starter RACECAR
  • 2 comments
  • 621 views

RACECAR

Keeper of the Undocumented Changes Threads.
Moderator
Messages
37,252
United States
Addison,Texas
Messages
GTP_RACECAR
Found this and its a interesting read:

http://www.thedrc.net/post/91933646052/racings-biggest-threat-the-very-people-who-love

Here's just a small portion that I think rings very true:

Are we 100 percent of the problem, lord no. But as we all watch the sport we love, that we’ve spent our lives following dwindle off to nothing, all we can do is hurt it with harsh and quick reactions. Fans, Drivers, Pit Crew Members, and even track staff are included.

Overall, I feel it makes a very good point. What about some of you?
 
Overall, I feel it makes a very good point. What about some of you?

I think it's terribly written, for a start. And why would the anonymous fan wish to have their identity concealed? And why doesn't it point out earlier that it's only talking about "dirt" racing? EDIT: I haven't heard of Jody Shannon but now I know he's a dirt racer and that the whole site is about dirt racing... oops :)

From;

Dodgy Internet Article
The million dollar question, “What’s wrong with racing today?”. Cost is an obvious issue, and an even easier answer. Some think greedy promoters, and overpowering series are a problem.

...which isn't my million-dollar question, in fact I didn't even realise it was a question, to...

Dodgy Internet Article
The worst part? 90 percent of it isn’t of anything that’s relatively important. We take a rainout policy that we didn’t like and we act like a driver just got flipped over on purpose, and the promoter just looked on and started laughing at the guy as he was crawling from his destroyed car. It’s madness. A rule that’s been in place all season long, that everybody’s been going by all year long bites the wrong guy, and the driver and all of the drivers fans just brutalize the track publicly. Whatever happened to just going elsewhere? Taking your business elsewhere is point enough without blowing up the internet with your negative thoughts

...the whole thing thing just seems like a bad forum rant, part of the worrying trend of "article" sites that legitimise such things at first glance.

Dodgy Internet Article
I came to the conclusion that my internet tirades were pointless

Good.
 
Last edited:
Didn't even see the part where it was a fan who wanted to remain anonymous (that is abit weird).

I don't really get a rant out of it (maybe because my idea of a rant is usually something that's a lot more snarky and angry), what I've summed up as a whole from this is he's basically saying that fans are overreacting a lot for sometimes even the smallest of changes (which really can apply for any series at the moment) and it often does less rather then more for racing as a whole. Perfect example: Tudor United Sportscar Championship. Before it even had a season, there was just a sea of angry mobs crying "NASCAR killed American Sportscar racing" and all sorts of other crap and everytime a team leaves, its right back to that reaction without even looking at the whole story. And to be honest, I've been on this section on the forums long enough to have seen plenty of people have their own internet tirades here (as well as the other places I frequent).
 
Last edited:
Back