Radiator Tuning Help

• Thread starter ebelen92
  • 7 comments
United States
United States
PLATANO646
Hey guys. I've been working on a tune for the RWD P30 for Le Mans and I currently have the radiator opening at 5%. This setting is good enough for time trials and short 3 to 5 lap runs, but I was wondering if this would work fine under endurance race conditions. So, think a race that's 1+ hour long. Will a 5% radiator cause too much wear and overheating in the engine?

Hey guys. I've been working on a tune for the RWD P30 for Le Mans and I currently have the radiator opening at 5%. This setting is good enough for time trials and short 3 to 5 lap runs, but I was wondering if this would work fine under endurance race conditions. So, think a race that's 1+ hour long. Will a 5% radiator cause too much wear and overheating in the engine?

You'd have to test it, but if full damage and mechanical failures are on, I think the engine would pop in less than 30 minutes @ 5%.

i would run it and look at MOTEC (LCD), as i know anything above 120C is loss or power and engine blows, but also i have noticed at least on GT3 109C and above power loss and puffs of smoke (whatever those do and mean)

i would run it and look at MOTEC (LCD), as i know anything above 120C is loss or power and engine blows, but also i have noticed at least on GT3 109C and above power loss and puffs of smoke (whatever those do and mean)
I've seen those a lot, but had no idea what they were all about :lol:

Also didn't know about the MOTEC system, so thanks for this info 👍 More tuning to do now :P

You may want to have your engine temp running lower than 100C, because if you have a small bump in the front of the car this will cause the temp to go up and may blow your engine if you're already running near the safe limit.

For me last Friday night at the Nurburgring GP circuit. 30 laps.
BMW M3 GT.

For the BMW M3 visible puffs(rear view mirror) were observed at 106C.
No puffs at 105C.

Didn't pay too much attention to power lose.

In the future I'm going for 102C.

Should we continue this thread with data from the various GT3 cars?
When to puff and when not to puff. :lol:

Last edited:
Back