Radiohead- The King Of Limbs -- Saturday, February 19thMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pakt Sardine
  • 22 comments
  • 3,936 views

Pakt Sardine

Premium
Messages
548
United States
Minnesota, U.S.
Messages
Pakt_Sardine
Messages
Pakt Sardine
Out of nowhere, Radiohead announced their new album The King of Limbs about 45 minutes ago... And it's due this Saturday!

The artwork is a bit creepy with the silhouettes, yet quite earthy in colors (fitting Radiohead's earthy motif of recent years). I'm quite excited to see what it's all about!

Radiohead-The-King-of-Limbs.jpg


Information here

Sadly, they haven't revealed a track list yet. There is a small rumor (procured by ateaseweb.com from the Japanese preorder site thekingoflimbs.jp. It was quickly pulled off the site after) that there will only be 8 tracks. The Digital-Only release is February 19th, while the actual physical release (CD/Vinyl) is March 28th. The special "Newspaper Album", which I suspect will be a lot like In Rainbows' "Diskbox", will be due out on May 9th. :)
 
Last edited:
That's pretty insane, I'll probably buy the digital copy though. 👍
 
That's pretty insane, I'll probably buy the digital copy though. 👍

As will I, otherwise we'd have to wait until May 9th. :)

I'm wondering if it's all-new material, or if they did studio versions of recent live songs like "Lotus Flower" and "Super Collider." I like those songs, so I don't care either way. 👍
 
Just bought the "newspaper album". Can't wait. Haven't been this excited since In Rainbows.
 
I am sure there will be new material and like In Rainbows I wouldnt be surprised to see studio versions of more of their live songs as well...
 
Great find Pakt Sardine. I've placed my order, I think it will be the same as In Rainbows in that you get the digital download on the day of release if you buy the hardcopy.

I'm looking forward to hearing it.
 
Thanks! 👍

You're right. If you pre-order either physical releases, you will automatically get to download the album this Saturday. At least, that's the case with the "Newspaper Album."

I've updated the OP with a small update, a better picture of the album artwork, and a small correction about the actual release dates for the different versions of the physical albums.
 
Just bought the after much deliberation (i.e listening to the entire discography in a day and realising why I love their music so much). :)
 


Lotus Flower video has just been released.

EDIT: They've brought forward the release, I'm downloading it as I type! So excited.
 
Last edited:
Ah yes, it was quite a surprise!

I listened to it. I love how chill it is. "Codex" so far is my favorite song, but that's subject to change.

The only thing I'm concerned with is how people are going to react. It's much different than previous albums, even In Rainbows. I can see that so far it could be considered a "love-it-or-hate-it" album, but with almost all of there stuff, it could grow on you. Hell, I hated Hail To The Thief when I first heard it. Now, it's the album I work out to. It also took Kid A 10 years to garner love from critics. So... Wait and see, I guess.

What are your thoughts on Yorke's ridiculous dance moves...? :lol:
 
It's certainly quite divisive, but I don't know what to make of it yet, I'll need to keep listening to it. The first half of the album is certainly the hardest to get through, but they're growing on me. I agree with you on Codex, it's pretty sweet. As an album it's spiritually closer to Kid A in the sense that TKOL and Kid A depart from the more conventional stylings of In Rainbows and OK Computer. The way they've shifted styles is almost cyclical, they like going for a massive shift in style every three to four albums it seems. There's quite a Four Tet influence as well. I think Yorke's moves are awesome, must try them out when I go out clubbing. :p

EDIT: Fourth time around listening to it on my proper headphones, and what a difference. It's one of those albums where a good pair of headphones does wonders. I'm really liking it now, it's just a shame it's so short. Hopefully the newspaper version has a few more tracks.
 
Last edited:
So far Lotus Flower and Codex are my favourites, but I've listened to the album about 4 times now. Really enjoying it, I love how each album is so different. I think it's one of those albums you just have to listen to multiple times to really appreciate it.

Although, my only tiny complaint would be there's not much in terms of guitar work on this album in comparison to any of their earlier albums and even In Rainbows. Infact, I'm not really sure what Johnny Greenwood (in terms of guitar) and Ed was doing for this album.
 
Holy heck! How did I only see this now!

Edit: This is kind of like Deerhunter's latest offering. Largely hard to like, save for 1 epic track (Helicopter - Deerhunter / Codex - Radiohead). Hopefully it will grow on me, but I really wish they would return the genre that made them famous. As Speedster says, what does Johnny do these days?
 
Last edited:
As Speedster says, what does Johnny do these days?

Too busy making film scores, obviously. :lol:

I've listened to it about 5 times now, and possibly a 6th when I get home to do the dishes. The first time I listened to it, I loved it. Then the honeymoon phase was over when I played it a second time. I found the beginning incredibly boring. Now, slowly, I'm getting into it; appreciating the quirky little sounds of it. It could, however, take some time to place it in my rated RH album list.

Oh, and my favorite song changed to Separator. See, I told you all... :p
 
Jonny's influence is everywhere on the album, it's just not on guitars any more. :p
 
That's very true. He's been represented as "Multi-Instrumentalist" for the past decade or so. :D

If you hear Jonny's score for "There Will Be Blood", and you get to the scene where the oil drill is on fire and the beat in the background, you can hear that influence.
 
While i've only listened to the album a few times so far... it sounds like its gonna be pretty sweet. I usually withold judgement on a radiohead album for at least a couple weeks if not a month.

So far Lotus Flower and Codex are my favourites, but I've listened to the album about 4 times now. Really enjoying it, I love how each album is so different. I think it's one of those albums you just have to listen to multiple times to really appreciate it.

Although, my only tiny complaint would be there's not much in terms of guitar work on this album in comparison to any of their earlier albums and even In Rainbows. Infact, I'm not really sure what Johnny Greenwood (in terms of guitar) and Ed was doing for this album.

Johnny Greenwood is not just the guitar player... he plays the Synth.... as well as like 10000 other insturments..... Johnny only plays the guitar when the song requires either 3 guitars. or if the song requires 2 guitars and thom is busy playing the piano or something else.... He also switches from insturment to insturment in the middle of songs as well...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So far Lotus Flower and Codex are my favourites, but I've listened to the album about 4 times now. Really enjoying it, I love how each album is so different. I think it's one of those albums you just have to listen to multiple times to really appreciate it.

Although, my only tiny complaint would be there's not much in terms of guitar work on this album in comparison to any of their earlier albums and even In Rainbows. Infact, I'm not really sure what Johnny Greenwood (in terms of guitar) and Ed was doing for this album.

I also agree with you that on the first 10 listens Lotus fLOWER and codex seem to be the stand out songs of the album. Their albums have a way of aging the way no other bands do however so after another 20 listens that could change.
 
Strangest thing,....I'm listening to BBC6 Music and Marc Riley (presenter) has just mentioned that the album is called King of Limbs '1' and expects a second part to be released.

I'm not sure if it was a joke but could that explain the late release date for the hard copy formats?

I've only listened to the new album once but wasn't hugely impressed. It seems to be 'progressive' for the sake of it. I can here echoes of their work going back to Kid A/Amnesiac, I will no doubt change my impressions as the listen count ratchets up a few more notches.
 
Yeah, there are a lot of rumours flying around about being a second part. I mean listen to the final song of the album even it's title suggests a second part is coming. "Separator", then the lyrics them self. There are some websites and clues flying around on the web, although I can't remember where they are at the moment. :ouch:
 
Yeah, there are a lot of rumours flying around about being a second part. I mean listen to the final song of the album even it's title suggests a second part is coming. "Separator", then the lyrics them self. There are some websites and clues flying around on the web, although I can't remember where they are at the moment. :ouch:

I don't buy it.... Radiohead has made some seemingly ominous suggestions before on album finalies before. I.E In Rainbows and Videotape when everyone thought that the song was suggesting that In Rainbows would be their last album. Although it seems odd to me that most media had been reporting a track list closer to 10-12 songs, I HIGHLY DOUBT that a King of Limbs part two comes out.... unless you consider a b-sides a disc two which i suppose could be argued but to me a b-sides usually implied that the material isnt necessarily conceptually related.
 


TKOL From The Basement. I feel the songs work really well live.
 
Back