Radiohead's Hail to the Thief - Wolf at the DoorMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter vat_man
  • 0 comments
  • 890 views

vat_man

Staff Emeritus
Messages
9,428
Man - I was just listening to my version of this album, and the last song from this album.

I'd listened to the last song, Wolf at the Door (lyircs here, and I hadn't picked up on the Stepford Wives reference, a '70's movie I never got around to seeing.

I saw the plot synopsis here and was horrified - the song took on a particularly unpleasant internal angle, the really dark one that makes you reassess your own life and relationships.

Giles talked about Radiohead going for shock value has some merit, but I think drawing that sort of response purely from written word is pretty impressive - and something that songwriters should aim at.

Radiohead have done this to me before with Morning Bell which seems a pretty inocuous song about divorce until the line 'cut the kids in half' - but when you think about it - music at its cutting edge is an art form - and if it doesn't provoke some sort of emotional response, then it is nothing....
 
Back