Rally Lingo

  • Thread starter Thread starter Schmo
  • 11 comments
  • 2,784 views
Messages
736
Messages
MrSchmo
I love the Rally races in GT5, but I'm unfamiliar with what the co-driver is talking about. I know distances of the straights he calls out. I just dont get the numbered turns he calls out. Any one care to explain?
 
1 is a VERY tight turn, normally a hairpin

then goes up to...

7 which is most likely flat out
 
"100", "500", etc are the number of metres of straight road ahead.
 
1- Hairpin
2- Tight Turn
3- Still sort-of Tight
4- Regular Turn
5- Wider Turn
6-No slowing Down
7- Basically a kink in the trail

If he says Long after a number, that indicates 2 of the same turn with a small section in-between.

And then he'll say finish. :D
 
Thanks for the quick response. I had a feeling they had something to do with degree of difficulty or something like that.

Thats again.
 
some times i get 3 left and it seems to be a gentle curve
 
Yes, because the standard system is opposite to the above one.

1 - Gentlest curve
5 - 90 degree
9 - Call mountain rescue beforehand

Larger numbers called are the distances in metres (50 and up)

Tightens - Curve starts as the number called but gets sharper
Opens - Curve starts as the number called but gets gentler
Square - A square 90 degree corner (also "oversquare" for a similar, but more angled corner)
Hairpin - A standard 180 degree hairpin
Don't Cut - Obstruction on the inside of a bend, so don't cut the corner
Jump - Hill

I haven't actually done any GT Rally yet though, so I don't know how much of the above is incorporated. If it's genuinely WRC, the pace notes should be 1 (gentle) to 9 (argh!). If not it may be reversed.
 
If it's genuinely WRC, the pace notes should be 1 (gentle) to 9 (argh!). If not it may be reversed.
IRL there are both systems, depends on what the driver prefers...
 
@Famine... the GT5 system treats a grade 1 as the sharpest and grade 7 as the most open.

The co-driver makes no reference to crests, opening, tightening or cutting. Sometimes he doesn't even call the corner until you're halfway through it :D
 
Yes, because the standard system is opposite to the above one.

1 - Gentlest curve
5 - 90 degree
9 - Call mountain rescue beforehand

I haven't actually done any GT Rally yet though, so I don't know how much of the above is incorporated. If it's genuinely WRC, the pace notes should be 1 (gentle) to 9 (argh!). If not it may be reversed.

Not neccessarily, depends on the driver and the nature of the event.

In the WRC, where drivers/co-drivers write their own notes on a reccy, some have their co-driver call the gear number as the corner indicator... so 6 right would be 6th gear corner. Some use numbering as you say. Just depends what they prefer.

In club rallying, with no reccying and notes provided by the event organisers it is usually as you say.

In GT5 the notes are very simple... only calls the corner severity as number (1 being the tighest, 7 the easiest) and also if it's long (more than one apex normally). The notes are pretty rubbish, but the physics are awesome :)
 
I've used the number as a gear indicator, and it has worked amazing for me.

For example, if he says 3 right, I shift down to the third gear.

I also managed to get gold on the Gran Turismo Rally Event on the first try with a controller using this.
 
Back