Ramming and bumming

• Thread starter milefile
  • 27 comments
Very frustrated. Trying to get my driver rating up, get pole position in the Fuji race, third turn I get rammed off the track and the entire field goes by while I climb out of the gravel trap.

Why does this seem to be so common? I go out of my way to avoid contact. Yeah accidents happen but come on. I'm convinced people do this to cheat.

I dunno. Just very frustrated. Sorry if this is the worrying place for this.

Very frustrated. Trying to get my driver rating up, get pole position in the Fuji race, third turn I get rammed off the track and the entire field goes by while I climb out of the gravel trap.

Why does this seem to be so common? I go out of my way to avoid contact. Yeah accidents happen but come on. I'm convinced people do this to cheat.

I know how you feel. Only started back again a few days ago and have been trying to race clean and fair. Made a couple of mistakes which resulted in mild contact, mainly the car in front braking on a corner that I'd take flat, still my mistake though. But when I have the outside line and the car next to me feels like he can continuously bump into the side of me and not get a penalty!

'Bumming' hey? Like how 'dogging' means something different in the UK vs. the rest of the world.

Isnt this a result of millions of noobs coming into Sport while under house arrest?

get pole position in the Fuji race, third turn I get rammed off the track and the entire field goes by while I climb out of the gravel trap. Why does this seem to be so common? I'm convinced people do this to cheat.

Because taking someone out like that in this game MIGHT only get you like a 1-3s penalty whereas they WILL lose upwards of 10s. Why would you bother with racing and cleanly overtaking someone who is faster than you when you can just get rid of them completely in the first slow corner and may not even be penalized for it? Because that's exactly what the "penalty system" in this game promotes. And the stupidest thing about it is that the lower your DR is, the bigger the chance of you not getting a penalty for something like that. PD is basically telling those players that it's perfectly fine to race like that. It should be exactly the other way around. Noobs should get punished more severely for ending someone's race. Doesn't matter if it was an accident. It should be a race-ending penalty. That should teach them to race properly.

I'm not taking daily races seriously anymore. Just starting from the back without qualifying to see what happens. Certainly makes for more diverse action and can be very entertaining at times :cool:

You are not alone. I will never qualify in this game again. The further up the grid you start, the bigger the chance of you finishing dead last.

Last edited:
In my opinion the best place to consistently gain DR outside of FIA's is Daily Race C. The longer race gives you time to recover from mistakes (and punts) and still pick up a good result. You need to finish in the top half of the field to gain DR (broadly speaking) so a P10 finish should mean you're at least not losing DR.

Daily Races A and B can be fun, but they're too much of a DR lottery, and as you say get pushed off the track and you don't have time to mount a recovery.

This weeks Race C is unfortunately not the best example of this due to the nature of the track, but when I made the decision to stick to race C my DR began a consistent climb through the ranks.

I would be nice to See a daily race D with only wheel set ups For 24hr. Every week , just to see if the bumping of the car in front is not use as as a brake for the car behind . Let face it the car trailing has the best advantage coming out of a turn then the guy leading going in . The mirror and the side shadow dose very little to keep the car in front from being hit off the track.

I think some people do it to cheat but I'm actually convinced that most people do it because they don't know any better.

Driving school and the joke of a video that covers racing etiquette don't do much of anything to prepare people to race in traffic. I'm convinced that most drivers, particularly at lower levels, aren't aware of the fact that they need to brake earlier when behind someone. Heck, even the AI in the offline races pretty consistently will push you in an attempt to get back onto the racing line. If someone comes to this game without much understanding of motorsports, the in-game teaching tools aren't teaching them how to race very well.

I really hope in the next title PD addresses this and a licensing system is implemented to limit access to the type of online race you can do until you show a certain level of racecraft and proficiency.

Last edited:
I spent over a year trying to improve my DR while protecting my SR, it made racing no fun at all.
Last week I gave up caring and had a great week at Tokyo of all places.
My mantra last week to show the opposition the same level of respect that they show me,

Paraphrasing the Great Bruce Lee . . .

Touch me and I'll touch you back.

Is it bad of me that I only just realised long after first seeing this thread that the third word had an 'm' substituted for a 'p', and that it wasn't just a regional term lost in translation?:embarrassed:

This thread reminds me of a GT Sport meme I posted on this forum that got deleted...

:lol:

I think there may be trend if you get a better rating you will be driving in a better class of drivers with experiences. I see if I am racing with 16 D rated driver and 75% of us are qualifying 2 seconds apart That makes for a great race . There is no fun chasing A,
B,C, level driver if you are a half a track behind , you might as well just do time trials. When I am qualifying at 14th and finish 5th in a race after being sent off the track in the first lap who need first place to have fun.

Fuji and Monza have been an all out warzone. Even at SR S 99 there is still rammers and bummers. But I've been racing on my alt account which is DR B, but was at high A around the start of Monza last week.

Complete chaos with idiotic track resets and penalties. PD are incapable of intelligent thought.

Yeah Auto correct got me good on this one. I was rage typing

Bumping not bumming. Wrong not worrying.

Thanks for the sympathy and commiseration. And it just happened again. Seems like when I get rammed off the track I get a time penally. Keeps happening. Seems very flawed. I try to imagine if real life races involved that much contact.

Maybe I'm weird for racing like I'd race in real life, not attempting to overtake if it'd likely end in a crash. I'm pleasantly surprised to encounter other racers who race clean, but it's too rare.

I don't get how you can feel good about winning if you cheated. Weird right?

Anyway GT Sport's penalty system is a joke.

And whoever said the further ahead your start the worse you'll place is spot on. You're a target if you start in the first few positions. Start from the back and see how far you can advance is way more fun. I'm going to start doing that from now on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see how being rammed up the bum when you don't want to be is frustrating to say the least.
866ec97e7a2927d7a2a6efb85950086addd0a8dfef89832867d4958d33c346d7.0.png

Thanks for the sympathy and commiseration. And it just happened again. Seems like when I get rammed off the track I get a time penally. Keeps happening. Seems very flawed. I try to imagine if real life races involved that much contact.

Maybe I'm weird for racing like I'd race in real life, not attempting to overtake if it'd likely end in a crash. I'm pleasantly surprised to encounter other racers who race clean, but it's too rare.

Anyway GT Sport's penalty system is a joke.

And whoever said the further ahead your start the worse you'll place is spot on. You're a target if you start in the first few positions. Start from the back and see how far you can advance is way more fun. I'm going to start doing that from now on.

Do you know what my greeting is when I enter a lobby now? "A clean race, is a mythical creature."

and my race finish line is "One does not simply race clean in GT Sport"

True story.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's all starting to make sense now! :lol: ;)

Not weird at all, you sound like a man after my own heart. In all your time here, have you ever raced in any of the series organised on GT Planet?

Back