Random Investigation Of The Week! Part 2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Firehound427
  • 10 comments
  • 1,000 views
Messages
1,377
United States
United States
Messages
Firehound427
Messages
CivicTypeR15
Time to unleash part 2 of my Random Investigation Of The Week. This time, I will be focusing on:

Which is more effective at limiting PP? Adding weight or removing horsepower? (As requested by Denz3b)

For this, I will be using a Nissan Skyline GT-R R32, tuned to 560PP and then restricted to 535PP, first by adding ballast and then by restricting power. I will then run both on Suzuka to see which method yields the quicker laptime. As Denz3b requested this test, I will gift the Skyline used in this test to him once this investigation is over.

As always, I request ideas for new investigations, with members getting credit and the car used in the test!
 
Awesome idea, look forward to the results!
 
How about this:

Which would be better, a less powerful car with a wing, or a more powerful car without a wing? You should test it on a faster track, maybe Laguna Seca or Suzuka.

Car choice, now thats tough. How about the premium '91 FD at 500PP?
 
Time to unleash part 2 of my Random Investigation Of The Week. This time, I will be focusing on:

Which is more effective at limiting PP? Adding weight or removing horsepower? (As requested by Denz3b)

For this, I will be using a Nissan Skyline GT-R R32, tuned to 560PP and then restricted to 535PP, first by adding ballast and then by restricting power. I will then run both on Suzuka to see which method yields the quicker laptime. As Denz3b requested this test, I will gift the Skyline used in this test to him once this investigation is over.

As always, I request ideas for new investigations, with members getting credit and the car used in the test!
I think it will be by adding ballast so the car is heaver but still has the same amount of torque & horsepower.
 
I've investigated this before. It depends on the course. A track with more straights (Monza, Le Mans) it is better to have more weight, so you can have more power. A track with more corners (tsukaba, autumn ring) it is better to have less weight and less power. And an intermediate track (Suzuka, Nurburgring) it is better to have a balance on the two.
 
As we head closer to the test day on Saturday, I have refocused the test. I will now be running a stock 2007 GT-R, restricted to 500PP via the two restriction methods described.
 
The Tsukaba Miata time trial a few weeks ago was a good real example. A tuned Miata needed to be limited to meett the pp limits. I found around the midpoint of each slider was best, not too light and not too powerful. Mama Bear approach.
 
Would it be possible to check a 3rd option? 50/50 split of both to meet spec...
 
OK. I'll be adding a third laptime, with a balance of weight and horsepower restrictions.
 
A heavier car with more power is better for the straights.
Because the power will increase more than the resistance...
For example the air resistance stays the same with a heavier car.
So the power to weight ratio will mayby be the same, but the power to resistance ratio will be better, which is good for straights.

In the corners the lighter car will have a big advantage, I think.
 
Back