Raspberry Pi

Ireland
Dublin, IRL
PR1VATEJ0KER
na
Anybody been able to get their hands on a Raspberry Pi?

Websites officially selling the device have no "Purchase Now" option.
Instead you leave a them a message stating you have interest in getting one.
I dont fully understand the process.

For those who are unaware.

Wikipedia
The Raspberry Pi is a single-board computer developed in the UK by the Raspberry Pi Foundation with the intention of stimulating the teaching of basic computer science in schools

The device also features high performance video and graphic capability as well as a low price (25 USD).

Size of a credit card
1024px-Raspberry_Pi_Photo.jpg

I guess its the Ford Model T of computing.
Affordable computing for all(most everyone).

Some people are creating 3D models of a case for these devices, then having them printed with 3D printing services.
rasppi_case_01.jpg

Could make for some cool projects such as designing your own laptop or tablet or something.. anything!
Theres a HDMI out, Composite out, 2 USB, Ethernet, Audio out, Micro SD(As HDD).
Will only run linux

Last edited:
Could instead get one of these when it comes out in July. It sells for $49, has 512MB of DDR3 memory onboard, 2GB of flash storage onboard, and comes with a VIA 800MHZ CPU that can display 720P graphics. It comes with it's own Android OS that's made for the keyboard and mouse. Plus since two of the mounting holes are of a standard in every PC case and comes with an I/O plate, it can be very cheap or even free to get a case for the board. It means you can hook up a power switch to the board from the case and keep costs down.

I'd put my name down and was offered a pre-order slot, but I didn't have the money spare at the time because I'd just bought a new monitor when I really shouldn't have. When I do finally get one I'll probably actually buy two, one for experimenting and the other for a media server terminal for my bedroom, then I'll be able to sell my otherwise useless laptop. I've got a few Arduinos that I play around with so a computer running Linux would be a nice thing to have too, same with that VIA APC. I also want to try a Papilio One FPGA just to see what can be done with it. The Papilio and Arduino aren't full computers running operating systems, though, they just seem similar because they're all about education and homebrew programming.

I might wait for a while before getting a Pi, though (not like I have a choice right now) so they have time to revise the hardware a little. Speaking of which, the new Arduino Leo looks to be a pretty big improvement over the Uno that I have, then again the SMD chip means it's a lot more difficult to make your own...

It's a little more expensive but you might be interested in the Beagleboard, too.

Thats really cool, although at $49, the risk is slightly greater when experimenting

When I do finally get one I'll probably actually buy two, one for experimenting and the other for a media server terminal for my bedroom

Its fantastic to have such cheap computing power available, I cant wait to get a few, Ill have a look at the beagleboard too

I'd love to get either one of them, unfortunately with the mindset of most people that seem to be interested in them being "I'll get a couple to mess around with." I don't see it being easy to get one for quite a while. It really is a novel idea and I cannot wait to see what people do with them. Me personally? I'll probably turn one into a "I just woke up in the middle of the night, I need something to do" internet devices.

I see 2 ZIF slots as well as 2 pinned areas.
I hope the ZIF slots are for keyboard, HDD or similar.

Google says the two ZIFs are for a camera and display, I have no idea what the smaller headers are for but the large headers are for general purpose I/O, they support UART, I2C and SPI. Here's the pinout (but the page it's on has a warning saying it may not be the same as the final spec) :

GPIOs.png

So I ordered mine from one of the two suppliers available at the end of July. Current estimated delivery date is late November.

My boss ordered two of them last week from the other supplier. They have already arrived. :mad:

DQuaN
So I ordered mine from one of the two suppliers available at the end of July. Current estimated delivery date is late November.

My boss ordered two of them last week from the other supplier. They have already arrived. :mad:

Did you order them from RS and did he order them from Farnell? I noticed the former has an 11 week estimate and the latter said 3 weeks last time I checked. I'll be ordering one soon (finally)!

I think so. I've been playing with the ones we have in the office. They're pretty cool!

Minor necro to ask if anyone can point me in the direction of what I need to read or learn to get my Pi working as a remote desktop terminal for either my Mac (preferred) or my PC (if it's much easier)? I do believe if I can get that working my Pi will become nearly indispensable!

Minor necro to ask if anyone can point me in the direction of what I need to read or learn to get my Pi working as a remote desktop terminal for either my Mac (preferred) or my PC (if it's much easier)? I do believe if I can get that working my Pi will become nearly indispensable!

Most basic Linux flavours will have some kind of remote desktop app. As for Mac I'm not sure, you'll probably need to use VNC.

Here at work we've been testing them as thin clients for citrix desktop and they work pretty well apart from the single screen restriction.

Back